IGNORED

Sticky Throttle

BucksTherapy

BucksTherapy

Hey folks another question;

My throttle is sticking when above 3500 rpm. I read the posts regarding sticky throttle caused by the expansion of the grip when heating is on. This occurs at all times even when the bike is cold. There also appears to be end play and rotational play at the grip. The grip doesn't seem to be binding.

Anyone have any ideas?

Bob, which bike is it? If it's the 02 & it has some mileage on it, maybe the cable is fraying. If its the new bike, have the dealer come pick it up.

Pat

Sorry, it's going to have to come apart. Either by you or (under warranty) by a dealer.

The design hasn't changed significantly since 1997 - An upper cable running to a junction box, Y-ing to two lower cables, one to each side. About the only real way to troubleshoot it correctly is pull out the junction box.

BucksTherapy

I decided to pull the throttle grip apart. It was a problem with the grip assembly but not what others have seen. Removing the bar end did not impact the stickiness of the throttle. Even when I pulled the cables out I still had substantial resistance.

It turns out the is a little geared ring that the grip engages. This ring was binding. A little silicon spray followed by spray graphite and problem resolved.

Archived