IGNORED

04 RT rear brake lever adjustment

Couchrocket

Couchrocket

Hi all . . .

Just put Suburban Machinery's driver peg lowering kit on my 04 RT. Great improvement over stock location.

Obviously the brake "pedal" is now higher relative to the peg than before, and I am wondering if I can adjust it down. My service manual is full of specs for setting the "blow by clearance" (sounds like the crankcase breather on my 56 Ford!) and other unintelligible stuff (to me at least).

It appears as though the pedal pivots on a bolt with an adjustable clevis type rod in back and an adjustable stop bolt in front. Assuming I make equal adjustments fore and aft so that the free play below the stop before the brakes engage "stays the same," I should be able to just rotate the assembly on the pivot accomplishing some lowering of the "pedal" in the process. Is this correct, or is there more "going on" here than meets the eye?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

make equal adjustments fore and aft so that the free play below the stop before the brakes engage "stays the same,"
Yes, but that's the key point that may people miss. As you say, you must adjust both so that the actual pressure engagement point of the master cylinder at the back still matches the switch engagement point at the front. Compare the servo (listen to the whine) start point to the brake light to ensure you have it right. Plus of the mfg. recommended free-play spec. of course.

Archived