IGNORED

Good place to connect powersupply for Accesories (R1100RT)

Dutch_Windmill

Dutch_Windmill

Installing a new Zumo and Intercom to a R1100RT, which I want to connect to the bike's electrical system. I prefer to connect them so the powersupply is cut of when I take the key out.

Wondering anyone found a good point to get into the standard wiring?

Jerry Johnston

I think it depends on how much current your accessories draw

I use the parking lamp circuit for my V1 detector and a connector off the radio plug for the GPS. Much more than that and I'd run a seperate line (that is fused) off the battery. You would have to use a relay to turn the seperate line on and off that is powered by any of the switched circuits.

Dutch_Windmill

John / Jerry, thanks for the hint.

Elsewhere I found a hint to use the radio pre-wiring behind the glovebox. As I don't have a radio installed, nor intent to do so, this is a fine spot to lock in. Even has it's own fuse in the fusebox. The tupperware had to come off anyway to put the wiring nicely away.

Again thanks for the tip.

BR, Gerard

DavidEBSmith

The nice thing about using the radio wiring is that one of the leads (the one that's not solid red - it's purple or purple and something) is switched so that it's off only when the ignition is in the LOCK position, and on when the ignition is OFF or ON. So if you attach, say, a GPS to it, when you stop for gas and turn the ignition OFF, the GPS will stay powered and keep averaging speed, etc. But if you stop for the night and lock your front fork and turn the ignition to LOCK, the GPS will turn off and not drain the battery.

The red radio lead is on all the time (it's the one for the memory circuit).

Archived