IGNORED

Dumb question: oil drain plug

UberXY

The washer on the oil drain plug on my R1150RT appears to be a conventional washer versus a crush washer - does this mean that reusing it is ok? It would save me an 3 hour round trip to the dealer to buy a $0.60 washer. crazy.gif

The washer on the oil drain plug on my R1150RT appears to be a conventional washer versus a crush washer - does this mean that reusing it is ok? It would save me an 3 hour round trip to the dealer to buy a $0.60 washer. crazy.gif

Could be a symantics problem here.

When I think of a "crush washer" I think of the ones made of copper, they look like a little inflated inner tube and actually crush down flat.

The washers on the BMW plugs are flat when new, much like an ordinary washer but made of soft metal (aluminum?).

As far as I can tell they don't really crush, at least not like the inner tube shaped ones, although they will deform a little bit.

I have reused the BMW supplied washer without any problem but if the washer on your bike is not the correct one to start with, I would not reuse it.

Could be a symantics problem here.

When I think of a "crush washer" I think of the ones made of copper, they look like a little inflated inner tube and actually crush down flat.

The washers on the BMW plugs are flat when new, much like an ordinary washer but made of soft metal (aluminum?).

As far as I can tell they don't really crush, at least not like the inner tube shaped ones, although they will deform a little bit.

I have reused the BMW supplied washer without any problem but if the washer on your bike is not the correct one to start with, I would not reuse it.

That's what I have - aluminum flat vs the springy copper one I expected. I am going to re-use it and keep an eye open for leaks. This is the bikes second oil change so even if the dealer re-used it at 600 miles, it's only the third time it's been tightened, including set up. Next time I am at the dealer I will buy a dozen. cool.gif

"That's what I have - aluminum flat vs the springy copper one I expected. I am going to re-use it and keep an eye open for leaks. This is the bikes second oil change so even if the dealer re-used it at 600 miles, it's only the third time it's been tightened, including set up. Next time I am at the dealer I will buy a dozen."

B ring M ore W ampum....I pay a buck a piece for them dopeslap.gif....

Phil........Redbrick

Archived