IGNORED

Clutch problem with 1200RT

Live_long_and_prosper

Live_long_and_prosper

Went to a Slow Machine Control day this morning. I have been to a few of these before without any problems on the bike which has now done 8500 miles since I bought it from new.

After only a few slow manouvres the clutch started to smell badly and became very jerky. I left it to cool and tried again after a fair period of time. Just got progressively worse. On the third run smoke appeared from the front of the bike and the smell became very severe. I struggled to get it in neutral. The clutch lever came right back.

I have managed to book the bike in with my local dealer this Tuesday. I need things checked out as I am off to France on Friday!

I was not over-revving the engine or mistreating the bike in any way. To be honest I have never been entirely happy with the clutch from day one. Always seemed very smelly at the slightest provacation (I know they all do that sir) and grabby.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem would be welcome.

Thanks,

Stephen

Wasn't there a problem with some early build hexheads in having a leaky tranny seal that allowed fluid to wet the clutch causing slippage? Repaired under warranty.

Wasn't there a problem with some early build hexheads in having a leaky tranny seal that allowed fluid to wet the clutch causing slippage? Repaired under warranty.
It was a far bigger issue on the R1150xx series, although there has been a couple on the R1200xx too.

But the OP's problem is the opposite; the clutch won't disengage enough. Not that it wont engage (eg. slips) enough.

It really shouldn't be smelly. They can be in the first few hundred miles but after that it should be OK except under extreme conditions. My 1200GS smelt a bit (well quite a lot actually) when brand new but soon improved and my RT has never smelt at all.

ShovelStrokeEd

Sounds to me, I'm at some distance though, that you have a bad or binding slave cylinder. I'd let the dealer handle it.

Hint for slow race things is to lower your idle speed such that tickover is down around 600 RPM or so. Hard to do on a 1200 unless you unplug the idle air control motors.

Live_long_and_prosper

Damn and blast! If only I had seen your post before I took the bike in today ShovelStrokeEd.

The dealer could not find any problem on the test ride. My guess is that they didn't bother to do a proper slow ride. Just a quick spin around the block.

When I get back from France I will drop it in again and make sure they sort it out properly.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Archived