IGNORED

R1100 RT brake pads

Flyer5

I will be needing brake pads for the front .I was wondering what would be the best to use for just everyday riding . EBC ,Brembo , Factory BMW . Also where is a good source for frt rotors mine are pretty loose on the pins ?The rattling on the front of the bike when going slow interferes with the rattling between my ears dopeslap.gif Dave

duckbubbles

Aftermarket pads like EBC, Galfer, SBS, etc may cost 1/3 of the stock BMW replacements. They work just as good if not better depending on the compound. My last experience with EBC's was that they dusted up the wheel quite a bit. I've been running Galfers for years with good results.

Frank

I've been using the EBC black for many years and have seen good service out of them in terms of both performance and longevity. I don't know if there are any better as I haven't done much experimenting, but then again I haven't felt the need to.

Also where is a good source for frt rotors mine are pretty loose on the pins
Do you need rotors or just bobbin replacement?

The rotors themselves look good . I didnt know the bobbins could be replaced . There is a lot of play in the rotor .It is a little annoyoing when going slow over bumbs . I guess now that I know. How do I go about replacing them ? What are the chances that the hub of the rotor would not be worn also ? Thanks ,Dave

The bobbins are softer than the rotor or carriers so they wear first. Side to side is OK as they are supposed to allow "float". Front to back is not OK. At least not very much.

The bobbins are held in by C clips and a washer. Look at the inside of your rotors and you will see them.

Kind of expensive. IMO. IIRC about a little over $100.00 for new, list price everything.

You can replace them w/o removing wheel from bike. There are two different kind. One is plain the the other has a spring in a groove. This is to keep the rattling to a minimum.

The spring is hard and wears a groove in the carrier. The spring one is every 4th one. If you replace them. Don't put the one with the spring back in the same hole. Move it forward or back one space.

These are the parts you'll need to replace the bobbins:

(18) 34112310086, plain rollers

(6) 34112310995, spring rollers (these rollers have an integral spring inside)

(6) 34112310088, flat washers (in case you lose some)

(6) 34112310089, c-clips (in case you break some.)

Above is about $80 from Chicago BMW (20% discount but kind of slow sometimes.)

There are 12 bobbins on each rotor, 9 without a spring and 3 with. As noted above offset the spring bobbins by one hole when you reinstall.

Thanks, that saves a lot .clap.gif I was seeing prices of $224 for each rotor . Definatly a lot cheaper this way . I guess I really didnt look close enough . Dave

For what it's worth, I just replaced my bobbins with an aftermarket brand. I ordered them from www.motobins.co.uk. Cost including shipping was 39.86 GBP which is about $79 USD. They arrived at my doorstep three days after ordering.

Installation was fairly easy and the parts fit very well. No more brake rotor rattling!

Part number for my 1100RT is "20393"

To answer your original question, I replaced my front bake pads the same time I replaced the bobbins. I decided to try EBC Double-H Sinter pads ( FA246HH ). Previously, I used EBC organic pads. So far, I am very very happy with the sinter pads. I noticed a huge difference in the brake effectiveness, especially in the rain.

To answer your original question, I replaced my front bake pads the same time I replaced the bobbins. I decided to try EBC Double-H Sinter pads ( FA246HH ). Previously, I used EBC organic pads. So far, I am very very happy with the sinter pads. I noticed a huge difference in the brake effectiveness, especially in the rain.

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for . Thanks for the tips on the Bobbins also . Dave

Archived