IGNORED

Ztechnik Z4000 Exhaust...anyone have one?

rob1100r

Just purchased a new Z-Tech Z4000 for my 2000 R1100R. Going to install it 'soon'. Really haven't heard or read much on them...Call it taking a chance because all I ever hear of people using are the Remus or Staintune, but I like the fact this one SHOULD be quieter with the 'Decibel Killer' than others. I read somewhere it will be no louder than a stock Ducati..Also like the fact it never needs repacking. It looks built very well, and has the port for the oxygen sensor..Hopefully I don't have to reset anything...will I? GOODBYE HOT CATAYLITIC CONVERTER! Just wonder what others are using and your opinions..THANKS!

• 4 weeks later...

I have one on my 2004 RT. I can’t speak to comparisons with stock as my bike came with it already. The power delivery seems strong at all RPM’s and it sounds pretty decent. I have read some reviews on this site that said it was loud, I am not sure what they are used to but for me it is not loud at all and soon you kind of forget about it and just enjoy the sound of the motor. I think the weight savings would be worth quite a bit in its self.

daveinatlanta

I have one on a 2004 1150RT and it came with the bike. The sound is ok to me, even when I'm not wearing my earplugs. It is quieter than just about every V-twin - even though this is probably not a fair comparison. I took the decibel killer out once, rode it for 10 minutes and put it back in. It was just too loud for me. I have a friend who has an identical RT bike with a stock exhaust and his is obviously quieter than mine - but there is not a huge difference.

I have always been partial to my Staintune. It looks and sounds great. It also added some power across the power band, and allowed my RT to rev more freely. I like the removeable baffle as well. Although I pretty much keep it out of the pipe.

• 3 months later...

Just installed a Z4000 on my 2004 RT. I'm really diggin' the new exhaust.... With the baffle, throaty, not loud, but not a sewing machine either. High RPMS reminds me of the tone of current Japanese crotch-rockets. Baffle out, as you'd expect, much more authority, but... nice and well-behaved at cruise and normal acceleration, pretty loud at full tilt, some popping on decel, but not major. Quieter than just about any after-market HD pipe. I'll run it mostly with the baffle in. Performance seems a bit smoother in the midrange. Installation was, as expected, a semi-hassle. Getting the OEM exhaust off required a lot of wiggle-time, 38K will do that, and the O2 sensor is difficult to remove due to not much clearance. Easier if you remove the bottom Tupperware screws so you can pull the TW away a bit... Easier yet if off entirely. Removing the rear wheel also would make it a lot easier..

Archived