IGNORED

Run Flat tires on the RT-P's??

USAF1

most "in service" RT-Ps use run flats. Down side is they are firmer, and get less mileage. They are also difficult to mount/un-mount if you change them yourself. I believe the run flats have a much stiffer side wall so if you do get a flat it does not unseat the bead.

I can't tell if you're joking or not!

My r1100rt-p had run flat tires on it when I bought it from Washington State Patrol. They are called Dunlop Sportmax D205 and have a special letter suffix that differentiates them from normal D205s. They have a BMW part number and as far as I know are available only from BMW dealers. That being said most Agencies I am aware of are replacing their tires with ordinary tires, not the runflats. If you go to BMWMC.net under the technical tab there is tab for warning stickers. It lists the tires and BMW part numbers along with a warning to use no luricant when mounting.

Yup. I was rolling next to a CHP motor on 110 here in downtown So Cal and I was looking at his rear. Looked pretty flat to me but he rolled on.

We went maybe 7 miles in the car pool lane before he figured it out and pulled over.

Other than being flat it did a good job riding on the sidewalls.

The service records on my bike indicate that in 42k miles of use about 8 sets of runflat tires were installed on my bike, either at dealerships or an independent shop in the Seattle area.

The local BMW dealer in my area has given me so much misinformation I'm not surprised to hear what you were told.

He just wants to sell you the tires he buys in quantity and makes the most profit on.

I have "run flats" on my 1200RTP and according to my dealer Dunlop does not export them to the US.

Technically your dealer is probably right. Dunlop does not bring these tires into the USA. Dunlop sells them to BMW and BMW handles them.

The tires are available from Max BMW

99990000511 $149.00

99990000512 $159.00

Thank Goodness for on line dealers that post the fiches so we can get the true information.

i was in A$S in sacramento ane there were two chippy bikes in getting the dunlops run flats put on. service adviser said they were expensive and didnt last long, but hey, we tax payers are picking up the tab. the two officers were there about an hour and they were on their PCs the whole time.

John Bentall
service adviser said they were expensive and didnt last long, but hey, we tax payers are picking up the tab.

I suppose the alternative would be to pay for the hospitalization of the motor officer and the overtime of his colleagues while he was off work.

Baba_ORiley
Down side is they are firmer, and get less mileage. They are also difficult to mount/un-mount if you change them yourself.

I believe a good part of the difficulty in mounting is, unlke regular tires, these runflats depend on being mounted without any bead lubricant. That's what the sticker on my RT-P directs.

Archived