IGNORED

Should I scrape the carbon on this piston??????????

cali_beemer

cali_beemer

Well, I am still in the process of doing the head gaskets. When I pulled the head off, I saw this.... Should I try to clean the carbon build up off? or would that risk getting the tinies of particles in the cylinder? My first thought would be to clean it off but I dont want to risk a tiny particle getting into the cylinder and etching the sleeve or damaging a ring. What do you think?

831507-pistonsmall.JPG.f5b2a1dcdb79113791ed262fe98c7b19.JPG

How many miles on the engine?

Tis my opinion that it really doesn't look all that bad...and you're always going to have something like this in there. Taking some of the BIG chunks off, probably wouldn't hurt anything....and if you're worried about getting it between the cylinder and the bore....get a vacuum cleaner hose down there. Some folks have used oven cleaner to soften things up before scraping it off (like with a credit card).

Have you been using Chevron or a good Fuel Injector Cleaner every so often?

Pat

cali_beemer

The bike only has 14k on it. I havent run a fuel injection cleaner yet. I do normally run Chevron gas with techron, super unleaded. I was thinking of using some blue painters tape to maske the gap of the cylinder and piston so I wouldnt get anything in there. There are a couple of built up areas otherwise its not that bad.

SAAB93driver

In my experience that bike is a little over half run in (YMMV). On a 10 year old bike that is 1400 miles per year, you need less slide rule time and more saddle time :-). While you got the head off, if it were me I'd get both of them as clean as possible to minimize the buildup that will ultimately be there when the bike is fully broken in.

cali_beemer
In my experience that bike is a little over half run in (YMMV). On a 10 year old bike that is 1400 miles per year, you need less slide rule time and more saddle time :-). While you got the head off, if it were me I'd get both of them as clean as possible to minimize the buildup that will ultimately be there when the bike is fully broken in.

I just bought the bike with 13k on it this winter. I put 1k on it since then. I am definately more into riding it than wrenching on it. I only ask this becasue pulling the top end isnt something that I do everyday.

ShovelStrokeEd

I wouldn't. That looks like perfectly normal buildup to me and doesn't really appear all that thick. If you must do it, you can get it out of there with a wire brush mounted in a drill motor. Easy to reduce the danger (minimal anyway) of getting something on the cylinder walls. Just use some heavy grease at the piston top/cylinder wall interface. Wipe up after you are done by moving the piston down in the bore a bit.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you get it all. The biggest danger you will face is a bit of carbon, loosened but not removed, coming off the piston top and lodging in an exhaust valve seat. Instant burned valve.

If you must do it, you can get it out of there with a wire brush mounted in a drill motor.

With a stiff steel brush this method is likely to scratch the piston. A soft scraper is the accepted method, but like the others said, I wouldn't bother.

Looking at the picture I would say that an attempt to remove the carbon (which, as others have said, doesn't look bad at all) is more likely to result in harm than good.

The bike only has 14k on it. I havent run a fuel injection cleaner yet. I do normally run Chevron gas with techron, super unleaded.

There is enough Techron in Chevron gas that they can advertise it is there..... You should buy a bottle of Techron - not the cheap stuff called Techrolene(?) that is at Costco, etc. that is just part Techron. A 20oz bottle in 10-20 gal of gas works great in the cars I'm used to dealing with. I'm using half bottle in 3-5 gal in my motorcycles every few thousand miles.

If you needed a valve job at 14k miles, a likely cause was carbon on the back of the exhaust valves which burned the exhaust valves. This would have been eliminated with 2-3 bottles of Techron.

One of the businesses I own is a european car repair shop. Everyone that ever worked there uses Techron on a regular basis after seeing what happens when you use it regularly compared to what happens when you don't.

I would leave it alone, but if I had to do it, I made a chisel-like wedge out of oak and carefully scrape it with aid from a light hammer.

I agree with Ed and Smiller! It does not look that bad and the risks of not getting something you loosen up off too great. Just ride it like you stole it with Techron once in a while and it should be good to go!

I agree with Ed and Smiller! It does not look that bad and the risks of not getting something you loosen up off too great. Just ride it like you stole it with Techron once in a while and it should be good to go!

That's normal carbon buildup! Leave it there and don't risk any piston damage.

That piston looks like low normal as far as carbon buildup is concerned. I would leave it alone, but if you feel the need to do something, try using a piece of hardwood sharpened to a point. Don't be tempted to use sandpaper or metal tools. Don't be too aggressive, and just blow the carbon out when you are done. Do the work with the piston at TDC, clean up, then roll the piston down the cylinder and clean the walls. Good Luck!

I have never put an engine back together without cleaning the carbon from the piston domes and also cleaning the combustion chamber in the heads ( I have done dozens!) Do the cleaning at TDC and use a wire brush as Ed suggested. Do the same to the heads. Why would you reassemble an engine without cleaning the carbon deposits off? After cleaning, move the piston to BDC and wipe the cylinder walls with a soft cloth and a little oil.

Why would you reassemble an engine without cleaning the carbon deposits off?

With the pistons in the engine, it's hardly a reassembly. With the potential of scratching the piston and/or cycliner wall, the reward is not worth the risk especially with the low miles he has on it. dopeslap.gif

If the piston is at TDC you will not harm a cylinder wall. The pistons are made of aluminum, they will not be harmed by cleaning with a soft metal brush or even a toothbrush with some solvent.

cali_beemer

I decided to leave it alone and just run a bunch of tanks with the real techron in a bottle. I have also consulted an automotive engine building expert that told me the best way to get rid of carbon build up is with techron in a bottle. He said that he has seen experiements done to see the effects of running this through the tank a few times and the results were incredible. Its a much more fail safe method to cleaning. Well, thats my descision and the heads are back on now so, thats my final answer. Thanks everyone for all the great replies.

ShovelStrokeEd

Please explain to me the danger/damage you will encounter by scratching a piston top. I have done maybe 30 engine rebuilds over the years and de-coked quite a few pistons in that time. The only piston failures I ever encountered where on a turbo bike and my '66 BSA. Both were too lean and running hard at the time. Using a soft wire brush in a drill motor is a time-honored way to remove carbon from pistons and combustion chambers. The grease thing traps the carbon particles so they don't get carried down the cylinder walls and a series of clean paper towels soaked in a little solvent takes care of the rest.

If you are removing the cylinders, it is, of course, easier. Bead blast the piston top (walnut media), do mask the thrust faces and ring grooves. Put the cylinders in the dish washer and run them through a cycle. Do remember to immediately lube any ferrous parts when they come out. Might be a good idea to buy the SO a movie ticket before doing that last. grin.gif

WildR1150RT

Got to aggree with Ed, Really, do go and get a movie ticket or send her shopping, For some reason, they get mad about motor parts and dishwashers..

Got to aggree with Ed, Really, do go and get a movie ticket or send her shopping, For some reason, they get mad about motor parts and dishwashers..

We could have a discussion about past indiscretions involving bathtubs and cylinder blocks, but I don't want to stir it up again.

++++ Leave it.

After you get her together, give her a Texas Tune-up....Lots of RPM's, good gas.

Don't ever lug a boxer twin, ride em hard, hit the limiter as often as possible, even if its in 1st or 2nd.

You gotta run these bikes hard or they don't last as long.

Stan Walker

You gotta run these bikes hard or they don't last as long.

What would be your estimate of how long each category should last?

Putt-putter in So Calif. wants to know.

Stan

Archived