IGNORED

Rotating the brake lever assembly

Ruddy

I'd like to rotate the grip/lever assembly to raise the brake lever slightly. It's a bit too low for me at present. I also have the Kisan SignalMinder with the integrated switch for my Motolights, and I'd like to open that cover to check the LED. The switch works, but the LED indicator quit on me. frown.gif

I checked a Clymer manual, but their description involves removing everything, which is more than I want to do. Can't I gain access to the clamping bolts to rotate the assembly without a lot of pain? I'm used to older Japanese bikes where everything is accessible and easy to adjust. confused.gif

Thanks for your help.

russell_bynum

I don't remember for sure, and I don't have the fiche in front of me to check, but I think all you have to do is remove the kill switch/starter button (one phillips screw) and that gives you access to the clamping bolt.

That's on an 1100, I don't know how different the 1150 is.

One thing to watch out for...if you've got heated grips, make sure you don't slide the control/grips/switches out towards the bar-end weight. If it gets too close, then when you turn the grips on and they expand, they'll bind against the bar-end weight and your throttle will stick.

Get things in position, then make sure the controls are pushed in towards the center of the bike and you have penty of gap between the grip and the bar-end.

Of course...on the left side, that doesn't really matter.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but not much. There is a screw from the bottom up holding the lower cover on and a screw from the forward back, through the mirror mount hole holding the top 1/2 on, the part with switches. Then the clamp bolt is right there. BUT, if I remember right (and now MY memory is failing me!) on th R1150RT the entire assembly is pinned in place so little or no rotation is possible without disassembling and eliminating (i.e. grinding off) the pin.

John Dickens
BUT, if I remember right (and now MY memory is failing me!) on th R1150RT the entire assembly is pinned in place so little or no rotation is possible without disassembling and eliminating (i.e. grinding off) the pin.

I believe you're correct. My recollection is that the whole assembly locates on a pin or dowel so that it will only fit in one position.

I got the answer on the R1150R Board thumbsup.gif

Posted by baltm604:

"I have rotated both controls with no ill effects.

remove the mirror,

remove the screw that is hidden by the mirror. then remove most of the small screws that hold the bottom switch cover and the small cover that is inboard on the controls.

you can now get to the clamp for the controls, loosen and rotate.

btw, if you can find set of on line instructions for a throttlemeister or a bob's wrist rest, the steps are pretty much the same."

Bill

The 1150Rs have tubular bars, so the controls aren't pinned. Trying to get access to the clamp bolt looks intimidating because of the covers.

Thanks for your input.

Archived