IGNORED

QD Fuel couplings failures - question

SANTA

My bike did not come with the BMW QD couplings, but it is one of those thing i really want to add. so the questions:

which half of the plastic coupling is causing the failures, the female socket end with the thumb button, or the shorter male end?

I just used my QDs for the first time this morning while doing a Rhinewest chip upgrade. They look like they are designed to be used very infrequently. They worked but they are cheap looking. Still, better than no QD.

Most likely I will replace them with something higher quality from Pegasus Racing:

Pegasus QD

or from Summit Racing.

BTW I removed and replaced the fuel tank today, which was 3/4 full, and spilled about 3 drops of fuel.

russell_bynum

The O-rings on the male part are also prone to fail.

I had it both ways...my bike didn't come with the QD's and I retrofit them (using the OEM BMW parts). After a few years, I got fed up with them and switched back...and haven't looked back since.

Really...for $9 you can get a pair of fuel line clamps from your local auto parts store. Together, they take up about as much space as a small roll of electrical tape, so they're easy to stick in some nook or cranny under the seat, in the glove compartment, etc. You do lose more fuel than if you were using QD's, but it is still a very small amount, and you don't have to deal with the poor reliability of the BMW QD's. If you MUST have QD's on your bike (mabye you just enjoy complicated solutions where simple ones work just fine? tongue.gif ) I would go with something other than the cheesy ones from BMW. You'll still have extra components, 6 additional connections that you have to worry about not leaking, and additional cost, but hopefully they'll at least be more reliable.

thanks for the input guys... my reason for wanting them is because of the damage done by the dealer at the 600mi check. they bent the tubing back on itself from what i observed probably because the hose was almost impossible to get off the tubing (i had the similar problem). i already have the plastic ones ready to go, and since i need to pull the tank anyway to bleed the brakes i will install something,

Typically the shorter male end breaks off within the female socket.

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but Crap, this appears to be exactly what just happened to mine! bncry.gif I was just reinstalling the tank after a brake bleed, and what the heck, the one side of the fittings would not go back together! See attachment please. So, it appears I am screwed. Must call NAPA now to see if they can save me, and let me ride to work tomorrow...

832490-IMG_0254.JPG.75d5eaf0b5e314cbdd2b4daf077447b2.JPG

Whew, got to NAPA just before they closed and got in-line fittings, fuel line clamps and plenty of hose. Will have to replace quick disconnects some other time.

OK, how does one remove the existing one-time use clamps? eek.gif

Jerry Johnston
Whew, got to NAPA just before they closed and got in-line fittings, fuel line clamps and plenty of hose. Will have to replace quick disconnects some other time.

OK, how does one remove the existing one-time use clamps? eek.gif

Use a screwdriver to spead the crimp apart. I've even reused them by using a cheap HF wire cutter that was dulled to crimp the clamp again.

Ended up cutting clamps off with Dremel and cut-off blade. Installed length of hose with clamps in place of (not so) quick disconnects. Works fine, but the new hose is a little bit tuffer to work with than the OEM stuff. May have to look at some better quality QDs sometime in the future.

Archived