IGNORED

Most important street skill?

Misti

There are many important skills we use everyday for staying safe while riding on the street, but is there one skill that you guys feel is the most important? What is it?

Misti

There are many important skills we use everyday for staying safe while riding on the street, but is there one skill that you guys feel is the most important? What is it?

Misti

Situational awareness of those around me. It's important to ME because while I can control what I can do, I can't control what others will do. Being aware of them and what the are or are attempting to do reduces the risk that I won't be able to react fast enough.

Mike O

Survived-til-now

"Street skill" - as most accidents in towns are caused by cars not seeing you and pulling out or across -- observe, anticipate and ride defensively

Misti

+1 on Situational Awareness! Keep that radar turned up HIGH and think in all three dimensions! Left, right, up (above you!!), down (the roadway, i.e. traction, potholes, etc.), forward and backward. First thing you should do when you hit the brakes is check your mirrors!

I ride with a style I call "paranoid/aggressive" - expect everyone to do the stupidest thing they can think of right in front of you and be ready to hit the gas as well as the brakes or steer out of it.

I find that having one of these mounted to the bike increases the respect cage drivers have for my right to occupy the roadways.

60126758-L.jpg

Doug

Like some others have already said, situational awareness is the key. If you know what is going on around you and you process this information into potential evasive action you are well on the way to avoiding just about anything. It is difficult to be aware 100% of the time, but necessary on two wheels. The second part is being familiar enough with your bike and skills to be able to react without a lot of thought. Seconds are like minutes when you are put into a situation that requires immediate reaction. Best to prevent this by being aware of 360* of your surroundings.

I'll agree with what's been posted already. When new riders ask me about this I tell them to "ride with your eyes". This to me is far and away most important survival skill on the street. There are no fender benders on bikes. It's not the same "lazy" game you can get away with in car.

Oh, and those machine guns above me might not hurt either. lmao.gif

Seeing.

I think I'm echoing pretty much what's already been said. Seeing, as I view it, involves more than mere visual perception. Scanning and looking down the road several seconds ahead of your current location forms the foundation of seeing, but more importantly, it involves comprehending and processing the importance of what your senses are gathering.

I find that when I'm riding my best, I'm in a slightly hyper-alert state. I'm taking in a lot of information, filtering it, and reacting on a second-by-second basis. It's a great feeling, and it really makes me feel alive.

Of course, at my advanced age this state of hyper-alertness lasts at most four or five minutes, after which I need to take a nap. grin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

One more on the situataional awarness and, being me, a little expansion.

The real trick, or skill, is in how far into the future you project that awareness. This comes into that seeing thing, are you aware of that car nosing out of a driveway 200 yards ahead? You should be and you should be positioning yourself in the surrounding traffic to make this a non-event.

Cruising down the freeway at 80+, better have your eyes up and on the horizon. That is where you are gonna be in 3 seconds or so, unless you are in Eastern Kansas. Hmmm, why are all those brake lights coming on way down the road?

Point is to project those situational skills into action now to turn what you see way down the road into a non-event. Flow like water, always taking the path of least resistance or, in our case, least drama.

I think you guys in Codeville call it seeing more or widening your vision.

In addition to all of the above.............patience.

Absolutely! Two weeks ago a friend on a GS (patience) was run into head on in a tunnel all the way over on the right side of his lane by a sportbike rider that had entered the curve at the beginning of the tunnel waaay too fast for his ability (impatience). Luckily Dave had almost stopped and Mr. Impatience greatly slowed so even though the bikes were totalled they both walked away with only minor injuries.

Excellent comments, thanks guys! Seems to be a lot of votes for situational awareness or reading traffic and thinking far enough ahead. So how do you go about making your situational awareness better? Shovelstroke Ed made a few comments on how he works to look far down the horizon, what are some other things that you can do to make your situational awareness better?

Cheers,

Misti

ShovelStrokeEd

My opinion, and only that.

Situational awareness is a nice term but, I think it is too broad. There are too many situations. I alluded to projecting your awareness into your future in an earlier post on this topic.

You must, of course, be aware of the NOW, it is your current situation, after all. Bike position and attitude, speed, what the surrounding vehicles are doing, or not, who has a cell phone stuck in their ear, who is edging closer to the lane boundary maybe planning to change into "your" lane. All of these are important to your immediate well being. Trouble is, this is dynamic and if you spend too much time processing the immediate data, you won't have resources to deal with what is to come.

That brings us to the short term future. Scan of the road in front for the same things you were looking at in the NOW. Is that dark spot in the road a little spilled oil or a 2 foot deep pothole? There is a car merging into traffic from that on ramp on my right. Does he see me? Is it possible that he will swing over 3 lanes to get into mine? This is the 2 or 3 second stuff they teach in driver's education. Yeah, it is in the future and we don't know what is going to happen but, with experience, it is easy to make predictions and you better be forming a plan because all this stuff is going to be NOW real soon.

Finally, there is the longer term stuff. This is where what I said about projecting your awareness into the future comes in. You're in the center lane and ahead of you, maybe 1/4 mile, in the right lane, are two trucks. The one in the rear closing on the one in the front. There is a mild grade coming up. What are you going to do about this? Continue down the road in your lane? Slow down and see what is going to happen? What about changing lanes to the left lane now, so that when, inevitably, the faster truck pulls into the center lane to pass the slower, you are already out of the way. This is what I meant by flowing like water. By making the decision early, you turn something that might have called for a swerve or hard braking into a non-event.

You have to teach yourself this stuff and it is hard work when things get busy. It is also something that requires concentration. You sacrifice a bit of the immediate to make the future smoother.

Excellent comments, thanks guys! Seems to be a lot of votes for situational awareness or reading traffic and thinking far enough ahead. So how do you go about making your situational awareness better? Shovelstroke Ed made a few comments on how he works to look far down the horizon, what are some other things that you can do to make your situational awareness better?

Cheers,

Misti

Misti--

I'm going to stick to my original term of "seeing," but maybe my seeing = your situational awareness. Here's how I make it better:

The foundation of all this, for me, is my basic physical condition. Now, those who know me are are aware of the fact that I'm no Mr. America, but I'm talking about physical condition on a more elementary level--being properly nourished, hydrated, and rested. For me--and I suspect everyone, regardless of whether they admit it--the last item, being properly rested, is absolutely the key. When I've had a full night's sleep (for me, 7 hours or more), I can predict with a precision of about 15 angstroms the point at which a peregrine falcon 4 kilometers away will intersect the trajectory of my right mirror. In other words, everything clicks--I seem to be able to perceive and process all the relevant occurrences in the riding environment, and to analyze and discard the irrelevent stuff ("Grey mouse itching left ear at 057 degrees, distance, 148 meters. Disregard." grin.gif). Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but the point is that there's a vast difference in my ability to "see" when I'm not fatigued. I don't always skip riding when I'm not at 100%, but I will definitely dial things back when I'm not feeling optimal. Of course, it goes without saying that there are myriad other factors that can affect you--alcohol, prescription drugs, illness, and hydration come immediately to mind--but we all know about that.

I also try to reduce or eliminate distractions over which I have control--so, no music and no cell phones. Also, I always wear earplugs. Again, one's sensitivity to these things varies, but I find that noise of any sort, whether it's Chopin or wind roar, disrupts my ability to see. Yes, what I hear is an important part of "seeing," but at too great a level, it exceeds my limited cranial capacity.

Now (?) I'm about to venture into the goofy . . . stuff that approaches superstition, if not magic. For me the pre-ride ritual is part of "seeing," at least insofar as it sets the emotional tone for what I'm about to do. Checking the oil and tires, pulling on the leathers, snapping the helmet closed, and the myriad, seemingly insignificant, steps that I go through before I pull onto the street, all set the tone. They serve the purpose, for me, of bringing the ride into focus. Of course, in writing this, I recognize that there are any number of riders who would laugh their asses off at the idea of someone like me acting like a fighter pilot wannabee--"Hell, all I do is mount up, click the starter, and ride off." grin.gif But, for me, it works--the ritual sets the mental tone for the ride. YMMV. tongue.gif

Finally, and this is maybe the easiest part of it, "seeing" involves a conscious effort to constantly scan and adjust. Even after all these years, I find that if I don't make the conscious effort, I ultimately find myself just droning along, more passive than engaged. There may be other things I do--if I am about to start ripping, I'll shift my position on the pegs, as much as a cue to my pea brain as for the inherent benefit of the position. If I find I'm not seeing well, and consequently not riding well, I'll stop for a ten minute break, either to cogitate on the error of my ways or to disrupt a screwed-up pattern of riding.

The thing that I find interesting--and which I should perhaps find discouraging--is that, despite decades of riding experience, I have to make the effort to consciously optimize my seeing (situational awareness?). And for me, the things I do before I press the starter button determine how well I will see once I'm actually on the road.

Mike,

I cannot agree with you MORE. clap.gif I'd quote you if it weren't so long. But I'll admit I'm guilty of omission sometimes. blush.gif

Look below at my signature. It's the the last thing I think out loud before I engage the clutch to start a ride. Also, I'll say it out loud whenever traffic gets thick and hairy or when I find myself droning along in auto-pilot. crazy.gif

Rarely is there such unanimity of opinion here. On reading the topic question, without hesitation, before reading any responses, the answer springs forth free of doubt: not braking, not handling, not quick reflexes: just.....seeing.

We talk a lot about how others get us in to trouble (cagers, etc.) But we do our own fair share of messing up without anyone around for miles.

Entering turns. That's number 1. Enter easy. Do your slowing before the turn. See through it, roll on it, then have a blast throttling out. Reverse that order... no fun.

The comments about seeing, and awareness, and evaluation of ‘what’s next’ are spot-on IMHO, and you did ask for “one skill”, but I what to take this to ‘Part B’ for a second if I may…

Once you have a good fix on what is happening around you, what you DO with that information is just as important to your survival. I think it can be boiled down to basic concept – Always have an active plan. “What will I do if…” The important word is “I”. We should always be actively calculating our escape from the current situation if it goes to _ell. And by “active” I mean actually thinking about it. Not thinking about something else ‘knowing’ our subconscious reaction will kick in (correctly) when needed. Although training that is important too.

Way, way too many times we hear stories about what they did in a cage that caused the motorcycle accident. While the facts may be true, the rider is still down. Our survival on a bike depends 100% on our ability to successfully react to what happens regardless of what it is. And the “they” may be the road, the terrain, the weather, the bike, etc, etc, not just idiots in cages.

So if skills to accurately evaluate and anticipate what is going on around you are number one, being able to instantly, and correctly respond is a close second.

Ken--

I think you're right, that being able to correctly respond is a key adjunct to seeing. Misti's original query was a good starting point, but being able to ride well and survive is a multifaceted endeavor. I think seeing is the foundation that everything else is built on, but there are numerous connected skills: the ability to brake effectively, the ability to corner, the ability to read the street, and so on, ad infinitum.

The way I deal with trying to maintain my ability to respond is by playing the "what if" game: What if a deer came out of the woods to my left? What if a car pulled out to pass that oncoming semi? What if I blew a tire right now?

I can't play this mental game constantly, but I do it on a regular basis. So, in that respect, I may not be as actively engaged in constantly redrafting an escape plan as you'd advocate. However, so far this has worked for me.

It yields two results: First, when the unexpected arises it gives me a plan of action to fall back on, a plan of action that I've rehearsed mentally. Second, when I'm confronted with a situation where there is some peril afoot, I find myself automatically slipping into the "what if" mode and analyzing all the things that could possibly go wrong. I recognize that being in the mode of constant active engagement that you advocate is ideal, but I'm not sure if it's humanly possible to do that.

Cheers,

Misti

Have you ever ridden a dirt bike? I mean, haulin' butt through the sand, roxxx, sagebrush, ruts.... It's very similar to the demanding aspect of riding in traffic, but very different in that if you do happen to lose track of the situation and get "schooled" you aren't flying around out there with 5000 pound+ cars and trucks. I find that my dirt riding skills transfer quite well to the street, especially the information processing (situational awareness) habits. You CAN NOT drone when riding, and the "feedback loop" if you screw up is instantaneous but usually less severe when riding in the dirt. If you can afford it and have the interest, riding in the dirt is a great way to build those skills.

Maybe get a leetle Yamaha XT225 or such and go play in the dirt? My friend here hasn't been riding for very long but she has built some admireable skills. She rode all this stuff just beautifully:

74766255-L.jpg

74765864-L.jpg

If you can ride this, a few lousy cars aren't going to bother you!

74765924-L.jpg

Just a thought....

Doug

Hey Doug,

If you are asking me directly if I have ridden a dirtbike, the answer is yes. I'll be getting a four stroke 250 very shortly and hope to even do some motorcross races. I agree that dirt riding can help with awareness for sure.

To everyone here, thanks for the comments. I think it is great that there has been so much agreement with this post and so many great points. I also fully agree with the concept that the "awareness" part of riding is the starting point and that you need the proper skills to be able to successfully react to the situation regardless of what it is. So how do we go about learning how to properly react to situations such as a car turning in front of you, or gravel in the middle of a corner, or debris on the road?

How do we make sure we don't "freeze" in a bad situation or react "incorrectly?"

Oh, and sorry for the delays in my reponses sometimes...I'm often on the road with the school teaching and not able to access the internet.....in case anyone was wondering smile.gif

Cherio

Misti

ShovelStrokeEd

Misti,

As to the internet stuff, tell Keith to pony up for better hotels. grin.gif

The other stuff is a bit harder.

How to properly react to an unexpected situation? The glib answer would be to expect nothing, or the worst, if you like. Sorry, but this points back to that awareness thing. Be looking for escape routes, be prepared to alter line or even put up with a small slide due to gravel, spot the debris early and THINK. Experience is a big help here, as is training and practice. No sense planning for a swerve if you lack the skills to bring the bike from upright to maximum lean, right now, and maintain control.

The freeze thing is harder but, at its base, a freeze is caused because you don't know what to do. Your body/mind goes into lock and you can't make a decision. If you have been practicing avoidance maneuvers, including maximum effort braking, the proper choice will be readily apparent and you will just do it automatically. Training and practice followed by more of the same. Airplane and helicopter jockeys go through intensive "bad situation" training for just this reason.

How do we make sure we don't "freeze" in a bad situation or react "incorrectly?"

That's easy. Practice frequently on US550. grin.gif

Million-Dollar-Highway-US-550.jpg

Misti

Visual mapping. In my mind's eye I plot velocity and position of others. As cars come and go their presence for want of better word, populates this mental chess board.

This isn't situational awareness per se but it's close: rather visual mapping is a specific cognitive activity, it's mental imagery of speeding objects around me.

Clever cartographers don't allow unrulely comets or cars to come unannounced.

Wooster

Another part of the "freeze" situation is target fixation. Instantly focusing on the threat. By the time 'it' is a threat, it's too late to pay any attention to it. We need to work on telling and reinforcing our mind that the proper response to a threat is to implement our predetermined escape plan. In simple terms, go where the treat isn't.

All the stuff mentioned above is great, but I'll go with this one.

MAKE YOURSELF VISIBLE!

MB>

OK, each to their own, but personally I'll go with this one instead:

MAKE YOURSELF VISIBLE then RIDE KNOWING THAT NONE OF IT WORKS!

While I think SA is critical it is not the MOST IMPORTANT. Knowing when not to ride is. By this I mean you need to know that being on a bike is great, but for almost all of us it is not the only way to get from point A to B. Sometimes as much as I want to Moto, I know I shouldn't. A lot of people talk themselves into getting out there when common sense tells them otherwise.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Archived