IGNORED

BMW Battery charger

Petreer

"Well back to the old,"ignition on,ignition off"

I have a 2006 GS ADV. also have the BMW charger that has never gone into the 3/3 green mode... follow the instructions:

*Ignition on

*Plug into bike socket

*Plug into wall outlet

*Ignition off

Anyone with any ideas...

"Boats" confused.gif

How long have you waited? When I first plugged mine in it took a while to get to 3/3 as well. Now it periodically cycles through from 0/3 to 3/3, sometimes staying as long as a day or more at 0/3 each time. Not sure why.

Jim

"Well back to the old,"ignition on,ignition off"

I have a 2006 GS ADV. also have the BMW charger that has never gone into the 3/3 green mode... follow the instructions:

*Ignition on

*Plug into bike socket

*Plug into wall outlet

*Ignition off

Anyone with any ideas...

"Boats" confused.gif

Works for my '06 RT except that I do not touch the ignition and I usually get the green light within one hour.

Tom

I follow HexHead's procedure;

Plug into bike

Turn ignition on

Plug into AC

Turn ignition off

That's the way the parts guy at the dealer told me use it.

The one thing I did notice was I didn't have to reset it after a power failure like some other members had to. I guess it depends on your build date and updates on your computer / CanBus system.

It seems fine. It has cycled through only a few times in the last 3 months it's been plugged in. It took a little more then 30 hours to go full green the first time I used it.

I hope this helps!

I have the same problem sometimes ,but it seems to be always charged when I need it no matter what the light reads .i HAVE AN 06 rt ALSO .

So, this is what my dealer told me for my 2007 1200RT.

Charger cord in bike, plug in charger, turn on key (1-2 seconds, not the whole check cycle), turn off the key. Seems to work and gets me to a green light on the charger.

The turn on the bike, then the charger, then turn off the bike did NOT work for me. Go figure.

This thread comes up periodically and it is amazing the different directions that folks are given by BMW dealers. Don't any of them have the same set of instructions? And speaking of instructions, there were none with the BMW charger I bought. Thank God for forums!

I have the same bike. I set mind all up and plug it in and THEN turn ign. on for about 10 seconds and then off.

One thing I have found out--the charger is VERY sensitive to anything that affects the current/canbus, etc. Do not be alarmed if you do not see the max end of the scale but very few times. The system is designed to send a pluse of energy to draw down some power when it hits the top. It will then cycle up and down reaching it max and then redo itself. I put a camera on mind thinking the same thing you are thinking--out of five days it hit green/max only three times and that lasted about two minutes each time before it started to re cycle it self. It is a good system but the new high tech stuff gets to where you need to get use to it. Hope this helps. David Farcas ragman@wildblue.net

I had continual experience with looooong recharge cycles with an early build 05 GS 7-8 hours. Kept the software updated, but did not solve the "problem" (which at the time I thought was normal for the canbus system). Different scenario with the 07 RT - generally have full charge within 90 minutes. Have no idea why there is a diff. confused.gif

As an addendum to my original reply, I was at the dealer Thursay and to my surprise, at the service desk, was a one inch stack of printed instructions. They were the same as the individual who started this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a "BMW Advanced Battery Charging System" Part # 72110419496 from A & S Motorcycle Parts for $85.00 (in March of 2007) This unit sez that is distributed by BMW of North America LLC and that it is recommended for "All BMW Motorcycle Batteries". The charger card that shows the part number also says " Remove battery from 2005 and later BMW motorcycles before charging".

The guy at A & S confirmed that it will work on my 06 RT with the Gel battery. What he could not tell me was:

(1) whether it will work when plugged into the accessory socket

(2) whether I have to unhook a terminal of the battery to recharge it with this charger/tender (with the supplied accessory plug (cigar lighter plug).

My dealer sez this charger requires that I unhook battery from the RT to charge it. (of course he may be saying that cause I didn't buy his for $149.00)

Anyone know the whole scoop on this? I'm really confused!!!

I have the same charger and have been using it for more than a year on my bike without problems. I do not take the battery out. I attached the supplied battery cable to my battery and I just plug the charger into it. When I am riding the bike I use the same cable as the connector for my heated vest (although I had to change the fuse as the one that came with the cable was only something like 1 or 2 amps - I put in a 10 amp). If your not going to use it for anything but charging then you don't need to worry about the fuse.

I don't think this charger will work through the socket on the bike. I think you need the more expensive one for this to work. However if you use the cable it is every bit as easy as the socket.

Having said that I believe that if you look in the manual they recommend removing the battery from the bike for the purposes of charging the battery. Removing the battery is the official method. Despite this I believe there are quite few others that have been doing as I have and I don't recall seeing any reports of problems.

I purchased a "BMW Advanced Battery Charging System" Part # 72110419496 from A & S Motorcycle Parts for $85.00 (in March of 2007) This unit sez that is distributed by BMW of North America LLC and that it is recommended for "All BMW Motorcycle Batteries". The charger card that shows the part number also says " Remove battery from 2005 and later BMW motorcycles before charging".

The guy at A & S confirmed that it will work on my 06 RT with the Gel battery. What he could not tell me was:

(1) whether it will work when plugged into the accessory socket

(2) whether I have to unhook a terminal of the battery to recharge it with this charger/tender (with the supplied accessory plug (cigar lighter plug).

My dealer sez this charger requires that I unhook battery from the RT to charge it. (of course he may be saying that cause I didn't buy his for $149.00)

Anyone know the whole scoop on this? I'm really confused!!!

Archived