IGNORED

Mechanic's stethoscope

doc47

How do you work one o' them jiggers?

They have a long, sharp thing out the business end. Do you press it against the engine, dip it in the fuel tank, or what? I didn't find it intuitively obvious....

They are useful for determining the source of sounds, for example a ticking valve. Of course it is more valuable for that if you have 4, 6 or 8 cylinders in a row than if you have one sticking out each side. You just stick the pointy end near potential sources of some sound you are wondering about and it will isolate that engine part from others.

Jerry Johnston

Harbor Frieght has them and they do a great job of amplifying engine noise. Years back I used to just use a long screw driver which does the same but not as good.

They have a long, sharp thing out the business end. Do you press it against the engine, dip it in the fuel tank, or what? I didn't find it intuitively obvious....

That long rod is attached to a little metal diaphragm inside the handle.

Here's something to try: put on the stethoscope, then gently (and I mean gently) tap on the end of the rod. The tool's value as a diagnostic aid will subsequently become very clear. grin.gif

How do you work one o' them jiggers?

Doc, there are basically many ways to use that stethoscope.. One way is to use it as it is furnished & very LIGHTLY touch the metal probe to any hard surface near where you think the noise is emanating from.. Problem is: that can pick up noise that is transmitted from a long way off & telegraphing through the metal, plastic, or other noise carrying media.. It is a good way to actually hear the internal noises but can make it difficult to determine the exact area or pinpoint location.. Then there is the option of pulling the stinger & diaphragm from the hose & just using the open hose to isolate the noise area & locate noise sources.. This works good for airborne noises, air & vacuum leaks, & other difficult to find noise sources..

I usually use both of the above & at times will even add a long piece of brake pipe (small diameter tubing) to the hose to allow listening to remote areas..

Twisty

I use one at work frequently for sorting out which bearing is the noisy culprit in a group of many. Works well and beats the price of one of the electronic sonic types.

A long screwdriver pressed handle end to the ear works for the shade tree mechanic.

Archived