IGNORED

Successful Hall Sensor Replacement

bmweerman

Just recently replaced the Hall Sensor and got the bike running again. With a little help from my friends...thanks SWB. BTW he is the guy to go to if you need a new sensor.

How do you like my homemade ignition timer?

135127773-L.jpg

Actually, Cameron, I'm pretty certain that it was bmwmick who helped you out. I just commiserated a lot and borrowed your tools. grin.gif

Glad to see you're back on the road again. clap.gif

Oh, and yeah, the HES tester is pretty cool, except the kindergarden-like scotch tape. That's one more tool to borrow. How 'bout a trade; one clutch centering tool for a HES tester?? (Just kidding.. of course. I've got the build instructions and a Radio Shack nearbye.)

- Scott

God your right. I was looking through my e-mails last night and wrote down the wrong name. Soooo for the record.

A Public thanks to bmwmick and HE is the guy you want to talk to about HES sensors...Sorry Mick!

And, about that tape...The kindergarten I borrowed it from was out of glue. lmao.gif

At least it works thumbsup.gif

How is your project coming along?

You're welcome Cameron. I was almost ready to ride to Bakersfield to collect on that steak. smile.gif You SURE tested my knowledge. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif So many problems on ONE bike.

Mick

You're welcome Cameron. I was almost ready to ride to Bakersfield to collect on that steak. smile.gif You SURE tested my knowledge. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif So many problems on ONE bike.

Mick

The steak offer still stands thumbsup.gif I'll even throw in a couple of beers...for you that is. My kindergarten teacher says I can't drink lmao.gif

How is your project coming along?

frown.gifblush.gifcrazy.giflmao.gif

About four days to change the @#$# fuel filter. 2 hrs for the change, and 94 hours to search every autoparts store in town for fuel injector clamps 1/4" or smaller to replace the OEM crap I had to remove. That included the 45 min it took to REPEAT the procedure cause I positioned the new clamp in such a way that it interferred with the mounting back when I tried to mate it back onto the fiberglass gas tank. Oh, and that's AFTER I put the RTV on the "O" ring (like my after-market manuals spec'd), and had to hurry and scrape the glue off over everything it touched while pulling the fuel sender/filter unit for the second time, after I figured out the clamps were too large for the internal 1/8" vent hoses.

About 4 hours to R&R the swingarm bearings and final drive "bearing carrier" bearings with bushings. Found out that the bearing races come out slick with or without heat using nothing other than a socket and a socket extension. Found out that you can't get the mounts hot enough and for long enough to get the bearings and/or races to slip back in. They get about 1/2 or 3/4 in, and then it's time to wail on the sucker with a socket, piece of wood 2x4 (to protect the socket), and a 15lb mini-sledge.

Then I compared the condition of the bearings I was replacing with the new OEM bearings; almost no difference, i.e. a waste of time and money. I replaced the rear pin-bearings because the races were visably scored. I replaced the swing arm bearings because they moved horizontally (i.e. side to side), PLUS they "twisted"; I figured they were toast.

I fixed the broken tranny case with JB Weld, after I had problems finding a welder who could do the job. It worked out pretty good; looks OEM. I imagine blunt force could cause it to break off again, but it's not going to just fall off. It appears to be a pretty good fix.

Anyhow, Cameron, it's going kind of like that. Blundering along, a few hours at a time on one day a week, wondering where the heck all these parts came from. dopeslap.gif

I have the "new" tranny with undercut gears, the "new" rebuilt Works shocks from Fernando, the timing chain fix, the RS intake tubes, and a bunch of other add-ons, upgrades, and R&R's ready to go. I can't wait to get it together and ride it. But it's just going to take as long as it takes.

Now that switched jobs, don't really need the bike to commute, and I've basically given up all hope of getting this back together any time soon, I can sit back and enjoy the experience of working on it. It's good therapy for the 80 hr work weeks. Maybe I'll get the clutch done tomorrow AM.

Cya on the road ... eventually.

I was almost ready to ride to Bakersfield to collect on that steak.

So Cameron, If I owe you a steak for your help with my clutch job, does that mean I owe Mick a steak too? confused.gif

Hang on to the HES protocol, I may very well need that info. too...Anybody got the number to the Kansas City Steak Company?

Congrats... clap.gif

Larry

I ain't ridin' to Indiana for no damn steak. smile.gif

Nice thought though Larry.

Mick

Track day tomorrow at ASR in Deming, NM smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

I ain't ridin' to Indiana for no damn steak. smile.gif

Nice thought though Larry. Mick

ixnay on the Indiana, Mick...I might just be needing a reason to take a loong ride...and not much of a reason either...

looks like you've got a head gasket that needs attention also

steve

They don't all look like that??? frown.gifeek.gif

Hmm... Cameron, looks like we may be getting together to replace head gaskets on a couple of bikes after my bike is back together, cause my headgasket looks exactly like that. I was hoping to treat it with ... maybe Gunk? grin.gif

Archived