IGNORED

Braided Break Lines

Paul_Burkett

Paul_Burkett

I want to change my break lines on the '02 RT to braided.

1. Are they worth the price?

2. Where can I get them if the price is right?

I have the Spiegler brand lines and am happy with them. Braided lines in general aleviate brake fade from multiple brake applications in a short period of time. Some say that the stock rubber hoses get flexible/spongy over time. This is the primary reason to switch to the braided lines rather than buy another stock set since the braided lines should last much longer. The Spiegler lines come in multiple colors and color combinations if you want the full Bling effect. www.spieglerusa.com. Usual disclaimer...no affiliation.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I have the Spiegler brand lines and am happy with them. Braided lines in general aleviate brake fade from multiple brake applications in a short period of time. Some say that the stock rubber hoses get flexible/spongy over time. This is the primary reason to switch to the braided lines rather than buy another stock set since the braided lines should last much longer.

But if you're using servo-assisted brakes, are you going to notice any difference at all at the lever? confused.gif

Jim VonBaden
I have the Spiegler brand lines and am happy with them. Braided lines in general aleviate brake fade from multiple brake applications in a short period of time. Some say that the stock rubber hoses get flexible/spongy over time. This is the primary reason to switch to the braided lines rather than buy another stock set since the braided lines should last much longer.

But if you're using servo-assisted brakes, are you going to notice any difference at all at the lever? confused.gif

IIRC ALL of the servo assist BMW bikes have SS lines from the factory. I know the new 1200 series does, and I believe the 1150 series does as well.

Jim cool.gif

Paul_Burkett

I called Spiegler today, they do not have a pattern length for the 5 hoses that the 1150RT uses. Gina's is sending the measurements to them and getting me a price that will be around $260.

Joe Frickin' Friday

IIRC ALL of the servo assist BMW bikes have SS lines from the factory. I know the new 1200 series does, and I believe the 1150 series does as well.

Which makes me think the difference will be even less pronounced. What would be the purpose of replacing stock SS-braided lines with aftermarket SS-braided lines on a bike with servo-assisted brakes? If it's about adding bling or color, then rock on; but if a real change in performance is expected, then I think the buyer will be disappointed...

I recently put Spiegler lines on my 1100 RT and did notice that the lever feels firmer. I did have to modify the front distribution block that resides on the right fork, as it did not fit in the BMW mounting bracket. I had to remove material from the side of the aluminum block to allow it to fit.

Was it worth it? In my case it was because the hose from the handlebars developed a leak at the big bend.

Paul_Burkett

I have an 04 RT and I didn't think it had stainless braided brake lines on it...Can anyone confirm that?

Unless the braiding is inside of the rubber shiething, then it is not.

Jim VonBaden

I have an 04 RT and I didn't think it had stainless braided brake lines on it...Can anyone confirm that?

Unless the braiding is inside of the rubber shiething, then it is not.

Take a close look. The black outer coating is actually a nylon covering the braided steel lines. This is the same with the 1200 series, except the coating is clear instead of black.

Jim cool.gif

By bleeds, I assume you mean flushes. Can't really see how stainless braided lines would make any difference in the frequency of flushes. Brake fluid is flushed because it is very hydroscopic and I don't see the hoses being the largest source of moisture ingress. Also, the braided hoses are the same rubber underneath the braid, so they would let as much moisture permeate them as non-braided hoses. The advantages of the braided hoses are that they are more abrasion resistant and the stainless braid constrains the rubber hose. More of the force is transfered immediately to the calipers because the hose isn't able to expand slightly like a standard hose can.

My stock '04 has rubber lines. But even with the stock lines, there is absolutely no brake fade. Or I'm not pushing them hard enough.

A recent Track Day confirmed that these brakes are incredible.

Rick G

Ditto...I ran my bike through Pridemore's CLASS school at Gratton the same spring I bought it (2003) and never had a problem with the brakes at all.

Jim VonBaden
I have heard with the steal lines that you can go longer between bleeds, any truth to that?

Yes, BMW specs the brake control circuit flush with braided lines at 4 years, and the wheel circuits at 2 years, with braided lines.

Jim cool.gif

PS I am still surprised you guys are finding rubber lines on servo bikes.

Joe Frickin' Friday
My stock '04 has rubber lines. But even with the stock lines, there is absolutely no brake fade. Or I'm not pushing them hard enough.

A recent Track Day confirmed that these brakes are incredible.

You're not pushing them hard enough. crazy.gif I boiled the front brakes of my '99 RT during a track day; this was only a couple of weeks after flushing the brakes with brand new fluid. Scared the crap outta me when I effortlessly pulled the lever all the way back to the bar and got NOTHING. Managed to pump the handle a few times, and I guess the brakes were cooling off just a little bit, so I got a smidge of brake back; I ran off into the grass but was able to stop without falling over.

FWIW, brake fade is a consequence of extremely hot brake pads that result in either a reduced coefficient of friction against the rotors, boiled brake fluid, or both. I don't believe the composition of the brake lines can mitigate either of these events.

russell_bynum

FWIW, brake fade is a consequence of extremely hot brake pads that result in either a reduced coefficient of friction against the rotors, boiled brake fluid, or both. I don't believe the composition of the brake lines can mitigate either of these events.

Correct. All the braided lines do, is not expand as much under pressure...which means they don't rob as much braking force.

TWEETY BYRD

WHEN I REMOVED THE ABS FROM THE 02 RT SS LINES WERE INSTALLED. THE RESULT WAS GREAT FEEL AND FEEDBACK. TRAIL BRAKING DEEP INTO CORNERS OR MIDCORNER CORRECTIONS CAN NOW BE DONE WITH UNDERSTANDING AND WITHOUT THE FEAR THAT THE RUBBER STOCK BRAKES AND ELECTRIC CRAP IMPARTS. BOB clap.gif

I replaced my stock brakelines on my '98 R1100R with braided steel lines from Galfer. There is a noticeable difference in responsiveness. I have never taken the bike on a racetrack, so I can't speak to fade, boiling of brake fluid, etc. but I can tell you that I was surprised at the difference in the responsiveness of the brakes. It was a worthwhile upgrade.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Geez Mitch....you are hurting my feelings...I thought I was going balls to the wall most of the day bncry.gif

Sorry...but if your rotors didn't look like this at the end of the day:

832254-rotor.jpg

then your bike still had more to give. crazy.gif

832254-rotor.thumb.jpg.b52e4ee81e8e7048dd61dae1384e837e.jpg

Archived