IGNORED

Valve adjustment guide...

jakfrost

I know I saved it somewhere...how often have I said that tongue.gif

Anyway maybe someone else saved it and can help me here. I am looking for the thead I saw awhile ago with photos to illustrate...a valve adjustment procedure that involved adjusting both intake valves on the same head at the same time using a sort of home made 'double' feeler guage tool.

Ring a bell for anyone?

Jim

I have a .pdf file of "Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies". It is too big to attach, let me know what your email address is and I'll send a copy.

Jim VonBaden
O.K. I knew if I looked long enough I would find it...it was on the BMWMOA board and I had saved it. Here is the link if anyone else plans to or would like to think about, doing their own valves.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15340

Actually pretty good with the photo illustrations.

Jim

Thanks!

In a few weeks I will have an R1200 series 36K DVD out that will cover everything required by BMW for all the services.

Jim cool.gif

In a few weeks I will have an R1200 series 36K DVD out that will cover everything required by BMW for all the services.

Jim cool.gif

Would that happen to cover the 2007 GSA?

Jim VonBaden

Jim cool.gif

Would that happen to cover the 2007 GSA?

Yes, all except the brake bleed since they are newer brakes. Should not be a problem as they bleed just like the older, non-servo, bikes.

I also am planning on a DVD that covers the 1100/1150 bikes. It is about half in the can already.

Filming for the 1200 series DVD is done, and is in editing now.

Jim cool.gif

Did you look at this? http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15340

No need to mess with two at a time, and much simpler than the factory procedure.

OK, but humor me here Jim - Try this some time: Do the valve adjustments with the single feeler gauge spanning both valves method and get it as exact as you can. THEN go back and re-check it with the older two (actually four) separate feelers in place method. I'll bet you a beer you can still feel a difference in the valves. I just don't think the single feeler method is as accurate. And it is because the two valves are not exactly on the same plane, so the single feeler spanned across them has to bend, be under tension a bit, when it is in place. Which distorts you're adjustment. IMHO the single feeler method is a junky short cut. Good enough? Maybe, but not as good as a skilled touch can get it!

Ken, did you see the first reply in this thread...

"I have a .pdf file of "Oilhead Valve Adjustment for Dummies". It is too big to attach, let me know what your email address is and I'll send a copy."

Well I did and he did and I had a quick look at it and it is a riot. Well worth the read. Plus lots of good info as well. I haven't finished it, I'm sorta savoring the read grin.gif

Jim

Jim VonBaden
Did you look at this? http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15340

No need to mess with two at a time, and much simpler than the factory procedure.

OK, but humor me here Jim - Try this some time: Do the valve adjustments with the single feeler gauge spanning both valves method and get it as exact as you can. THEN go back and re-check it with the older two (actually four) separate feelers in place method. I'll bet you a beer you can still feel a difference in the valves. I just don't think the single feeler method is as accurate. And it is because the two valves are not exactly on the same plane, so the single feeler spanned across them has to bend, be under tension a bit, when it is in place. Which distorts you're adjustment. IMHO the single feeler method is a junky short cut. Good enough? Maybe, but not as good as a skilled touch can get it!

Have you tried the single feeler method?

You are talking 10,000 of an inch difference for a lot more fussy job, and a lot more frustrating. How many times have you heard someone complain about taking hours to adjust their valves trying to get them even?

With the Anton Method, yes Anton Largiader Tech editor, BMWRA developed this method, even newbies can do it successfully with minimal learning curve.

The tiny bit of difference, if any, is not, IMHO, significant enough to be worth the extra time and hassles.

Feel free to do it your way, but I am absolutely certain that this method ensures more consistant valve adjustments with a lot less work.

Oh, and you do realize that the slight angle differences are equal top and bottom, making them have the same forces. This means that if I am off by 10,000 of an inch on each one, they are still exactly equal to each other.

Personally I will do it the Anton Method way, and save time and frustration of trying to get them to match top and bottom using two feeler gages on each side.

Now, if you want to do it by the book, by all means do so.

Either way you do it, you are almost surely going to get it closer and better than the dealer.

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden

Just for fun, and very fitting to the thread:

Check out this much lower quality video sample of the upcoming 36K DVD I am making.

th_Produce.jpg

I watched the first rough cut on my 36" TV and it looks very good. Not quite full pro quality, but very nice anyhow.

Just a week and a few days left until it is done.

Jim cool.gif

Jim VonBaden
And how do we get our hands on the 'not quite pro' final cut when it is ready??

Jim W.

I'll start a thread on here, and have a link to it in my signature line like Mitch did with his tire bar.

Also, a couple online BMW vendors have agreed to sell them via their web site. thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Have you tried the single feeler method?
Yup. Thats how I drew the conclusion that I did.
Either way you do it, you are almost surely going to get it closer and better than the dealer.
Now THAT point I won't argue with!

Cheers!

Archived