IGNORED

GS and Rain

chrisolson

So Whip calls 'cause he's out ridin' in the rain on the GS Adventure on the way to meet hANNAbONE and can't seem to keep the rear wheel under the bike - i.e. at 50, give it gas and the rear spins up and bike goes sideways. And no, he's not trying to hoon it up grin.gif

He's wondering if anyone else has had that problem with zero or low grip in the rain with the stock tires.

Told him not to put those IRCs on there again... lmao.gif

I suspect he's just not used to having huge torque and semi-knobby tyres.

steve.foote

He's wondering if anyone else has had that problem with zero or low grip in the rain with the stock tires.

Which tires did his bike come with? Michelin and Metzler should be fine. Bridgstone, not so sure.

ShovelStrokeEd

Don't know what tires are fitted to his bike but I can say from my old ('04) Adventure ownership that that bike, when fitted with Jesse's, may be the worst motorcyle in the world for aerodynamics and just pushing it through the air at speed may overcome the traction available. Mine used to spin the rear tire up in 6th gear at 65 mph if I hit a tar snake or even a wet lane marker line. Not trying to accelerate, mind you, just maintain speed. That was with Tourance tires at maybe 5K miles into the tire (about 1/2 worn).

Could suspension setup and tire pressure play some role?

Of coarse, it could be rider input. My friend tells me his 06 has more power than my identical 05, so be careful when I'm on his bike lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Actually he said later he did adjust the suspension and tire pressure but it stopped raining so no way to tell the effect lmao.gif

I think Ed was right again.....why does that always happen?????

I was going into a pretty good head wind at the time and I tried to pass a car that was going well below the speed limit and I knew it was a little slick so I didn't jerk it open, I just rolled it on a little and the bike got sideways and the engine went to redline. I thought it may be some kinda oil slick or something, but I could do it anywhere I wanted for then next 20 miles. I am running Anakee Michelin tires and they have 1300 miles on them. They are also very slick in corners wet or dry. I may be changing soon.

Hey Chris thanks for posting this.

Whip

Archived