IGNORED

BMW of Ft. Worth plug

ScottT

I have done my fair share of dealer bashing on this board but this time I'd like to let all know about a very good dealer experience.

I recently returned from my trip to Florida (Bikeweek)and on the way back the axle seal on the rear drive decided to let loose. I called up BMW of Ft. Worth last Thursday and they got me in this morning. They got my seal replaced and they did the banjo bolt install for me as well. They prompt, courteous and they did exactly what I asked them to do with no hassle. No, I didn't buy my bike from them but they took good care of me anyway. They will certainly be the first dealer I talk to when it's time for a new ride. For those of you out there in the DFW area I heartily recommend doing business with them. It's so nice having a dealer in my area that I trust! clap.gif

beemerman2k

Hmmm, I'm glad to read about the dealer, but do you care to comment on the reliability of the R1200RT? Why did this happen in the first place? How many miles do you have on the bike? Is this a common occurrence with this bike?

My RT has just over 34 thousand on it. So far this has been only my second issue with the bike and first I've visited the dealer for. First was the horn cutting out and I resolved that myself. I checked for previous reports of this rear drive seal leaking and I've not found any so I'd say mine is a rea occurrance. If a seal is going to go this is the one I'd want to go. It's quite easy to see that it is leaking and it's easy to access and replace. The main reason I did not do it myself is I do not has the three special tools BMW has for the replacement. Basically you have to drill a small hole in the seal, screw in a tool to remove the seal then use the special drift to put it back it. Not too hard to do but you can do serious damage to the rear drive if you drill too far. My hexhead is still by far the most reliable BMW I ever owned. It's also, by far, my favorite BMW. As to the root cause, don't know. Perhaps some grit got under the black plastic cover and damaged the seal. I have ordered another seal and will keep it as a spare on the bike.

Thanks for the tip Scott. I'll be headed down that way in late May to visit the in-laws & outlaws. Good to know help is nearby if needed.

You'll find a lot of locals with VERY varied opinions of that dealership. The constant churn of personnel in the entire shop plus the WIDE variation of service levels has prompted a LOT of us to start doing more of our own routine maintenance. (But I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience with them. Maybe things are changing for the better. thumbsup.gif)

The last time I was there for a tire change(approx. 2 yrs. ago), the mechanic barely installed the pinch bolts holding the front axle in place. I rode about 100 miles that day with only a couple of threads on each side. When I checked the air pressure the next morning and noticed the bolts almost falling out, I was NOT a happy camper... eek.gif

I also had my K-bike clutch replaced twice by them...once under warranty and the second, 13 months later on my own dime. Neither they nor BMW was willing to consider that there "might" be a problem with either the multiple part failures and/or the repair/installation process. Result for me was to sell the K-bike and never darken their door again. wave.gif

YMMV

Glad you had a good experience. Nice to hear a positive report occasionally. I do have a question for you though. Since you are in McKinney I would have thought the Plano dealer would have been more convenient. Can you tell me why you chose Ft Worth over Plano/North Dallas?

Can you tell me why you chose Ft Worth over Plano/North Dallas?
Not on this forum. Let's just say I've not had good experiences at the Plano shop. I'm willing to drive nearly 60 miles to BMW of Ft. Worth vs. the 13 to Plano... That should tell you all you need to know. I can provide details if you send me a PM dawn.
  • 2 months later...

My experiences with BMW Ft. Worth was positive as well. I bought an 04 RT in Arlington, Tx. Dec. '04 with 2.5K miles on it. The bike had never been serviced. They did the 600 mile service, took care of some recall notices and did exactly what I asked them to do. Because I was sporting a broken leg at the time they went next door to the Suzuki shop and had an employee ride it to my in laws house 20 miles away where it wintered for 5 months. In May '05 I rode it 2K miles home without one problem. They are good peeps in my book.

Archived