IGNORED

Expected mileage on Metzler Z6's

marcls

Hi list members,

I just replaced the original Metzler Z6's on my R1200RT at 8,800 miles. My riding style can be categorized as "moderate"; certainly, not aggressive. Is that about the mileage I can expect from the new set as well? What factors go into tire life besides riding style, e.g., rider's weight, suspension setting, etc.?

Regards,

Marc

Your experience is about the same as mine. Getting around 9K each on three fronts; haven't missed enough nails to really wear out a rear yet but came close on one at 8K.

See ya. Bill

I also got a bit over 8000 miles on my Z6's. The front still had a ways to go, but the back was pretty much gone and had a big flat section from too many straight roads. I don't think I'll wait so long next time - handling with the new tires is so much better. Any way, I've heard the road composition could have an impact on tire life. If you got 8,800 on the first set seems like that's what you'll get on these.

I'm on my second set of Z6's and have been getting around 8000 on the rears with many more miles available on the fronts,

but I always change them both at the same time.

I'm coming up on 7000 with my current set and I'm seriously considering the Michelin Pilot Road next time around.

I've heard lots of good things about them, and they have wear indicators along the center of the rear tread that the Z6's lack. confused.gif

Iv'e got a 2000RTP and I only got 6000 out of the Z6. Front more worn than the rear. Lots of cupping. I do better on Bridgestone 020's

I replaced the OEM Z6's at about 12000km - 7500miles. They probably had 1500-2000km of life left in them but the wet weather was approaching and I didn't like the tyres much.

Incidentally, the Bridgestone BT020's I replaced the Z6's with only lasted 11000km - 6875miles.

The difference in wear between the front and rear is about the same.

I know it sounds crazy, but I got 12,000 miles out of my last set. I had to double check my record book. I don't ride conservatively either. However, I do wait to replace them until they really need to go.

I have 12000 miles on the front and still have a little left to go. This is the first tire to wear evenly although there is a little scalloping on the left side of the tire. I have kept the tire pressure at 38 psi ride two up about 2/3s of the time. Rear is an ME 880. I will get the same combo next time. Our roads here in NC maybe a little smoother, also I think riding style may be a factor also as I have been working on being smoother both with the brakes and the throttle. I tried higher pressure (41 psi) on Z4's and they wore out in about 8500 miles. With the cost of a new set of tires, I want every mile I can get.

I got 10,000 miles out of the rear with Z6's, the front still had tread but I changed both to Road Attack's. I use 42 psi in the rear and 36 in the front.

Ian smile.gif

IndianaHarvey

My 2005 RT came with the Michelin Pilot Road tires and I hated them. Could not wait for them wear out. Believe it or not I got 15K on the front and 19K on the rear. I disliked them because they made so much noise in curves that I thought a semi on right next to me. Way too much road noise. In a straight line they were ok but even the transition from upright to leaned over seemed very pronounced, at least to me. I now have Meztler Z6s front and rear and they are so much smoother, quieter, predictable.

And maybe someday I figure out how to post correctly on this board.

I just replaced a set of Z6's with the worst mileage ever for a set of tires. They flat spotted at 1000 miles and started handling poorly soon after and were toast at 3,000. I will not purchase them again.

I'm trying out the Avon Storms right now. Looks like I picked out the right tire for the THC this weekend. grin.gif

I just replaced my Conti RAs at 4K. I believe they had another 2K in them but heading on a 2.5K trip so played it conservative. I traditionally got ~6K on my Z4s and Z6s on my 1150RT so this is my first change on the 1200Rt. It seems amazing to me that the board members report anything from 3K to 15K+ on milage. That's a huge variation.

Tire life seems to vary widely as you can see from this thread. I typically get something like 12,000kms out of tires like Z6s. I think that is about 7200 miles. When I change my tires there is some life left but not a lot. When I traded in my 1150RT it was shod with MEZ6s which at the time had about 8,000kms (5,000 miles) on them. I was back in the dealer for something and saw my bike and noticed it was shod with a new set of Metzlers. When I inquired as to why I was told that the tires that were on the bike when they got it wouldn't pass the safety inspection so they had to change them out in order to sell my trade in.

So go the tire tales.

Tire life seems to vary widely as you can see from this thread. I typically get something like 12,000kms out of tires like Z6s. I think that is about 7200 miles. When I change my tires there is some life left but not a lot.

So go the tire tales.

Boy does it ever. I have 14,000kms (8700mi) on my OEM Z6s and they still look like they'll go another few thousand easy. I have a set of Road Attacks waiting to replace them. No complaints from the Z6s and if the RA's don't last will probably just put Z6s back on. I ride fairly aggressively but we don't have a lot of curves around here, so not a lot of twisty road riding for me, except on trips. :-(

It's all on where and how I'm riding. Reasonably spirited riding on Arkansa backroads with lots of lean time - 4,500 miles to the cord (got to watch that center strip). About 5,500 on first set of Conti Road Attacks with similar riding - changed these a little early for a road trip. I expect to get about 8,000 out of my second set of Conti's, with 3,000 highway miles that didn't seem to hurt them a bit.

I disliked them because they made so much noise in curves that I thought a semi on right next to me. Way too much road noise.

I love my pilot roads. The tread crosses over the entire tire making it easy to ascertain the amount of tread left and I certainly don't notice any noise. I rode without a helmet in Arizona this past weekend and didn't even notice them. The RT sure does make some other funny noises though! grin.gif In Cali with my helmet and ear plugs I don't here nuthin'. 7500 miles currently on them, i'm sure they'll make it to 10,000.

I replaced the Z6s at 6800 miles front and rear. By that time handling was somewhat affected but tires still had some miles left, not a lot though. Right now I am trying the new Bridgestones BT 021. So far I really like them. They're hard in the middle and very sticky on the sides. We'll see how long they'll last. If you want the best mileage nothing beats the Pilot Roads. Next I'll try the Pirelli Diablo Stradas. It's always fun to play with different tires. thumbsup.gif

got to watch that center strip

Absolutely !!!

While I typically get 6000+ miles from a set of Z6s with large flat center on rear and, ironically, raised center on front (notoriously known as cupping), last May I saw the white fabric cord in the rear's center at 5500 miles which precipitated a costly (well, compared to DIY) replacement at the very cordial BMW dealer in Hilliard OH.

So, I want to reiterate beemerfan's caveat, i.e., watch rear tire's center; when Z6s go bad they do it with surprising alacrity. Other than that, I love'em.

Wooster

oh yah, I use 40/42 lbs for front/rear tire preasure and generally ride @ 20% above speed limit

Archived