IGNORED

R1100RT Engine Rebuild - in Germany

tomrinbellingham

tomrinbellingham

Anyone have a rough idea what it would cost to have a good mechanic rebuild my engine (its just old and a bit worn - not out yet, but getting there) while it sits over the winter in Heidelberg, Germany?

The bike will have about 100,000 miles on it by next winter and it uses 1/4 quart of oil per 500 miles. Everything else is in perfect shape - except maybe the paint, which I might have redone there or back here when I finish running around Europe. clap.gif

I can't help with the pricing,but why rebuild?? 2k on a quart of oil is not unreasonable and these bikes are capable of 200k without problems

The RT's are like that......there's nothing wrong with that kind of oil usage. As far as the paint.....heck you're not looking at it when you ride.....and the ride is what it's about.........not being "pretty"!! Save your money for buying gifts for all of us when you come back!! wave.gif

Pat

I would agree with the others, your engine is probably less than halfway through its service life so why rebuild it? If you want to be sure you can do a leakdown and other diagnostics tests but the results will probably indicate an engine in good condition.

THIS IS GOOD ADVICE.If it ain't broke don't fix it. I had one mechainc ask me one time if I could make a quart of oil last a 1000 miles if I poked a hole in a can and tried to pour it out by hand.

I've done 1000 mile days and the bike doesn't use a quart like stop and go traffic will do.

Paul Mihalka

I sold my '99 R1100RT two years ago, with over 170K miles. I know the new owner, now the bike has over 190K, still running strong. Never had the cylinder heads off the engine.

tomrinbellingham

OK. I'll wait a while. The bike (Fernando's old bike) took me 4,500 miles to Daytona Beach without slowing down - usually over 80mph - except for occassional gas stops and that little bit of oil added. That's a picture of it next to the Atlantic Ocean after a day of washing and polishing.

My biggest problem is seeing the oil level! The paint will certainly wait until I bring the bike back from Europe in 3 or 4 years. The engine too no doubt. By then it should have maybe 130,000 on it. dopeslap.gif

830114-AtlanticOcean5.jpg.64f90ef5df699ac6510ea00bc80f8e76.jpg

Archived