IGNORED

Need new throttle cables

twolfy

From reading some of the posts here on the board. It sounds like the throttle cables on our '01 R1150RTP might need to be replaced. They always release properly but seem to take quite a bit of effort to roll on. At least more than any of the other bikes I've had. What parts do I need to order ? Does someone know what the part numbers are? The bike has 37K and hasn't had a fuel filter change yet. Would that be recommended at the same time because of what is needed to be removed to get at the cables? Thanks Tom

The throttle cable from the twist grip runs to a junction box located under the battery tray, under the tank. From there a separate cable runs to each throttle body on each cylinder. What is sticking may require a bit of investigation.

The fuel tank has to come off to investigate / repair, so yes, it's a perfect time to do a fuel filter replacement too.

Thanks Ken. So it sounds like I need 3 cables in total. One from throttle to junction box and then two out to the throttle bodies. Is that right ?

You may want to replace that junction box while you are at it. It is relatively cheap (under $25) and seems to attract a lot of dirt and grit. Also, you will need to get a new gas tank o-ring and after you get the filter out you can go to the auto parts store and get new fuel injection clamps for the hoses. I think some guys used dull tile nippers to wrangle off those oetiker clamps (sp?) on the lines inside the tank. The new tank o-ring goes under this plate which is attached to the tank with allen screws. If your '01 is like my '98, yes it would be 3 throttle cables total and one fast idle cable (if you choose to replace that now). Don't overtighten that tank plate when you put it back on.

Here's a tip to save you lots of time and aggravation. First, don't replace the fast idle cable. It doesn't get enought use to ever wear out. Second, don't even remove the fast idle cable from the handlebar. There is enough slack to pull the junction box out without disturbing the fast idle cable at all.

buckeye nuts

I agree , dont remove the fast idle cable . Also ther is a tab that hits the box on the right side , just bend it out of the way. The only thing i found slightly hard was getting the cable reseated in the pulley, fingers got in the way?Then leave slack in cables till you rebalance the TBs

Parts fiche, with good diagrams and BMW numbers: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=47981

You'll understand how the cables are junctioned, and what you need to order. I'm replacing mine at 70k for the first time. Might be that your RT has a stronger throttle return spring pressure then your previous bikes. BMW does not have a second return throttle cable, only one. The spring returns the cable. Just a thought, but check the drag on your cables with the throttle bodies removed before you go ahead and buy new cables.

Thanks to all for the replies. Mike you might be right about the difference being just the return spring tension.I have no other BMW to compare it to. Just seems to take a higher effort to roll on and hold the throttle than what I have been accustomed to on other non BMW bikes.

Archived