IGNORED

Exhaust cleaning?

ncsonderman

ncsonderman

Just wanted to get a sampling of ideas on how best to remove a plastic bag that melted to my exhaust. I think that it was one of the types that you get at the grocery that I managed to snag while riding to Florida last week.

I applied a wet paper towel to the area for about 10 minutes with no positive results to speak of.

Next idea: Metal Polish, Never Dull...

Thanks for the thoughts! wave.gif

No solvent will take it off.

A straight edge razor and some scraping will.

It wont scratch the stainless unless your really trying to.

3 or 4 zero steel wool to clean up afterwards.

ncsonderman

Thanks guys. That's about what I expected. I could not believe the amount of litter as I rode South on I-77 through Charlotte. It turns out that a semi did not have a properly covered trailer hauling recyclables (spelling?)

Tony, love the avatar thumbsup.gif I'm haven't messed with it enough to know how to get a moving image on there.

Funny you should post this now. I had a green garbage bag touch the hot header pipe on my RT when I did the oil change for the winter layup and was going ask the same question today.

What about a hot air gun and a scraper for the initial part and 0000 steel wool for the finish?

ncsonderman

Thanks Ian, I'll try it since I've already got it laying around the house. I can always fall back on the razor blades.

Glad I could help Steve grin.gif

If a hot air gun = heat gun then sure. But watch where you point the thing.

Joe

Oven cleaner = paint remover be very careful if you do this as the cleaner often times splats out. It can/ will mare the finish on painted surfaces, frame and some plastics .

Not enough to peel paint but will dull the finish. Often times you wont see it in the garage but in the sun light... oops!

Use laquer (sp?) thinner. Had the same thing happen to me, it came off with no, repeat no scratching. I polished afterwards with my favorite polish and all was like new.

Aluminum foil and WD-40. Cold exhaust, dirt and grime washed away, simply take a piece of aluminum foil and wad it up, spray WD-40 on the area to be cleaned and also on the foil. A little light rubbing and the plastic is gone. thumbsup.gif

The theory is that the aluminum is softer than the chrome or stainless, the WD-40 lubricates and floats the debris away. I've used this method for years with excellent results.

Archived