IGNORED

After market Heated Grips instead of BMW OEM grips

randy

I have standard OEM heated grips on my 1996 R1100RT. Basically they have worn out. However on my FJR 1300 and on a number of friends bike I have installed aftermarket heated grips. So far in all cases I have used the dual star kit. I like them very much. Cost is around 30.00 for the kit (not including grips). In addition you get to choose your grips. And finally with the expensive (50.00 optional) troller, you can get infinite variable heat levels. The dual star with heat troller is around 85.00 deliver. OEM grips run about 130.00 for a set. So the price is not really the issue.

Anyway, I am thinking I will be purchasing the dual star system with the heat troller and then tapping this system into the BMW OEM wire harness (yes you can adapt the OEM connectors to the heat troller wiring).

Just wondering if others have gone this way, or is everyone just buying the OEM grips.

Just for the record, YES 10 years use out of OEM grips is great, and the cost of OEM grips is not the problem. I really like the idea of infinite heat level, and being able to use different grips. That is more my focus.

I would like to know how to adapt the existing wiring to the dual star heating elements... My stock grips are starting to show some wear.

If the heating elements still work in the stock grips, it is possible to VERY carefully cut off the rubber grips and replace them with aftermarket grips. I did this with my worn-out grips and was very happy with the results. thumbsup.gif

sorry to cut in on original thread.

Steve, I would like to do the same thing as you did with new grips. So its nothing more than making a slice, not all the way thru then peel off the grip and slide a new one on? Any special size? Thanks Tom

Because i'm not anal and ride my bike like I'll keep it. After 50'000 miles my heated grips started to show some wear...... as a guick fix on the road I cut a 1 and an 1/4 bicycle inner tube and using a small amount of lube streched the tube over the grip, cut to fit..... heated just fine...... two years later just replaced it, as the tube started to crack and fall away........total cost $4.and change...prolly not the fix for the faint of heart or those that wash their bike.

Works for me.

sorry to cut in on original thread.

Steve, I would like to do the same thing as you did with new grips. So its nothing more than making a slice, not all the way thru then peel off the grip and slide a new one on? Any special size? Thanks Tom

I'm not Steve, but I can answer your question, You need to purchase Two sets of your favorite grips ( I'm partial to Pro-grips gel grips) You need two sets because you will only be using the larger throttle side grip. Carefully cut, as to not damage the heating element and peel away. Wipe down with rubbing alcohol to remove any residual "goo" left behind. Slide on the new grips using some more alcohol (no not bourbon!) as a lubricant if necessary some people use hairspray or spray paint to help with the stick factor, but I've never had them move around as long as everything was cleaned well. Now you may proceed to the bourbon or beverage of choice!

ninermatt - you do a good Steve impression... thumbsup.gif

The grips I bought were both the same size, so only one set was needed. Maybe cause they were the "foam" type? Instructions with my grips described hairspray, but what you say makes sense also.

I will try to explain how the wiring works for the OEM grips as best I can.

each grip has a set of wires coming out of them, and on the ends are connectors. Those connectors actually just plug into the wiring harness. On R1100RT the connection point is just underneath the front fairing section.

The connectors are very unique, it takes a special tool to separate them. I actualy ruined one of mine, before I figured it out. So be careful

Once you do this for your old grips, i.e the OEM grips, just cut the wire 4" up from the connector. Splice the new heated grips to the connector, heat shrink and you can now plug the new heating elements into your old connector. Now your OEM heated grip toggle will work the new grips.

Hope that is clear. I bet someone else has done this and they may chip in with better directions

Archived