IGNORED

Nail in tire

jwurbel

Picked up a nail in the rear tire over the weekend. First time in over 40 years of riding so I was way overdue. Puncture is approximatley one inch from side wall but not in it. My first inclination is to simply replace. Has anyone ever had a repair done? Is it recommended? Or will the dealer advise against it?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Lots of people do it, but most dealers and tire manufacturers recommend against it. If you're going to do it, I'd suggest an internal patch, and definitely not a plug. I've had a simple puncture that caused delamination of the tire's belts, even though it was not near the sidewall and did not cause a total deflation. Not only will a patch do the best job of repairing the puncture, the fact that you have to take the tire off the wheel gives you an opportunity to inspect the inside of the tire to determine if there has been structural damage beyond the puncture.

Has anyone ever had a repair done?
Yes, countless.

Is it recommended?
Around here? You've got to be kidding. grin.gif

It should be noted though that there are repairs, and then there are repairs... meaning a properly done a repair should not present any particular safety hazard, but many home repairs are not properly done. If you go this way be confident in your technique.

Has anyone ever had a repair done?
Yes, countless.

Is it recommended?
Around here? You've got to be kidding. grin.gif

It should be noted though that there are repairs, and then there are repairs... meaning a properly done a repair should not present any particular safety hazard, but many home repairs are not properly done. If you go this way be confident in your technique.

As a data point, the UK's British Safety Institute has reccomended repair techniques for all motorcycle tyres except Z-rated - they say there is not yet a satisfactory repair for them.

YMMV.

ANdy

Paul Mihalka

As a data point, the UK's British Safety Institute has reccomended repair techniques for all motorcycle tyres except Z-rated - they say there is not yet a satisfactory repair for them.

YMMV.

ANdy

I would guess that a tire repair that works on a H rated (up to 130mph) or V rated (up to 150mph) tire works just as well on a Z rated (OVER 150mph) tire, except they won't recommend it at those speeds. Any recommendation in the tire repair writeup to reduce the speed rating after repair?
Jim VonBaden

Like was said, here? lmao.gif

Dealers and tire manufacturers are out to sell you stuff, so their recomendations are already suspect.

I have done it, and had not trouble in many thousands of miles.

Click here to see how.

Jim cool.gif

I replaced mine after a repair. If the cost of a new tire is not so important for you, don't think about repairing. I used BMW kit to repair, it did not work. I started to check tire pressure twice a day, after a week paid $400 for both tires including labor.

Mountain motorsports in Ontario, Ca. is the ONLY place I know that will patch a motorcycle tire. They dismounted the tire, pulled the 1/16" diameter nail out and proceeded to drill it out to 1/4". Then installed a plug/patch from the inside out. 1700 miles later, no problems. $25.00 complete

Jim VonBaden
I replaced mine after a repair. If the cost of a new tire is not so important for you, don't think about repairing. I used BMW kit to repair, it did not work. I started to check tire pressure twice a day, after a week paid $400 for both tires including labor.

You could have sent them to my place and I would have changed them for free. Probably about $220 from Swmototires.

Jim cool.gif

So, let me ask the question another way; Has anyone ever pluged a tire and had a severe failure (other than a slow leak) as a result... confused.gif I personally have plugged one nail hole with a "Slime" plug and it held solid with no leak or failure until it wore out, albeit the hole was not in the sidewall.

So, let me ask the question another way; Has anyone ever pluged a tire and had a severe failure (other than a slow leak) as a result... confused.gif I personally have plugged one nail hole with a "Slime" plug and it held solid with no leak or failure until it wore out, albeit the hole was not in the sidewall.

Yep. Picked up a nail when my bike had about 600 miles on it. My wife and I were down at Barber for the races. Before we left the track, I topped off the tire at the Michelin tent. Got 1.7 miles down I-20 when the tire completely lost pressure at 70mph.

I'd used a "Stop & Go" plug and apparently the torn steel belts in the tire sheared the plug. BMW Roadside Assistance saved the day.

Survived-til-now

It is allowable to repair even Z rated tyres but you need to ensure that the manaufacturer has authorised such a repair - my local tyre distributor had to attend a Bridgestone course before he could repair their tyres and even then the hole has to be below a certain size and only in a certain zone of the tread.

Next is the cost - it cost me over £40 sterling to have my 020 rear done and having witnessed the repair I can say that it was carefully and well done.

So is your tyre one for which the maker has authorised a repair and how worn is it? I would certainly repair a relatively new 020 but not one that is half-way through its life.....

Andy

Jim VonBaden

Yep. Picked up a nail when my bike had about 600 miles on it. My wife and I were down at Barber for the races. Before we left the track, I topped off the tire at the Michelin tent. Got 1.7 miles down I-20 when the tire completely lost pressure at 70mph.

I'd used a "Stop & Go" plug and apparently the torn steel belts in the tire sheared the plug. BMW Roadside Assistance saved the day.

Wait, you had instant flat from a hole that small?

Not likely. It more likely blew out the cheap rubber plug and slowly went flat. At 70mph you wouldn't necessarily notice it right away.

I have NEVER heard of instant, or explosive pressure loss from any time with little enough damage that a single conventional plug could "plug".

BTW String plugs do not suffer from the sawing actions of steel belted tires.

Jim cool.gif

I have NEVER heard of instant, or explosive pressure loss from any time with little enough damage that a single conventional plug could "plug".
Nor I... that's hard to do in a tubeless tire. I once ran over something that put a 1-2" gash in the tire and I still made it to the next exit on the freeway, and then to a nearby gas station before the tire was too flat to ride on.

You could have sent them to my place and I would have changed them for free. Probably about $220 from Swmototires.

Jim cool.gif

Next time I am going to bring the tires to you and buy you a great dinner at Hooters thumbsup.gif

what I've never quite understood is why it's inherently more risky to ride with a repaired tire than it is to just get a flat in the first place? (i.e. you're riding down the road and run over something that causes your tire to go flat). I haven't ridden that far but I've never had a sudden tire failure, probably only had 4 or 5 flats in 110-120,000 miles, including 2 nails within a couple weeks of installing a new tire on my RT last fall. Plugged the first hole with no problems, 2nd continued to leak and I finally got tired of filling the tire with air every other day and replaced it. If I had a changer I'd have taken the tire off, removed the failed plug and patched it from the inside - instead I paid for a new tire.

well, it must be a bad week for "nail in tires" and me giving up my heroin habit 'cause I just got one on the ride home; first one in a long time. I plugged cage tires without ever having any problems; however, I'm a bit nervous not replacing in this case 'cause #1, BT020's have not had the best press in the past few months; and it doesn't help they've been discontinued, and #2, having less than 50% less rubber on the road than cages, and that rubber is the only thing between me and a cold frosty at home after my 130 mi. commute with speeds > 80, I think I'll take the dealer's recommendation and replace and go with BT021s. dopeslap.gif

Instead of giving you guys my old tires, let's just meet up sometime on the road and I'll buy you a round (or three), after the ride of course! cool.gif

Rob

'07 R1200RT

Mountain motorsports in Ontario, Ca. is the ONLY place I know that will patch a motorcycle tire. They dismounted the tire, pulled the 1/16" diameter nail out and proceeded to drill it out to 1/4". Then installed a plug/patch from the inside out. 1700 miles later, no problems. $25.00 complete

I'll also add that I've run PROPERLY REPAIRED (patched) motorcycle tires with no problems. The key is PROPERLY REPAIRED!!

Like you've mentioned. Tire pulled, resized, plugged and patched from the inside. Good as new, or as long as you normally use a tire.

My current ride is the first I've had in MANY years that doesn't actually have a patched tire on it (for the time being).

AD

Tires are rated for certain speeds. When a tire is patched or pluged the rating drops by 50-75%. A dealer will not plug a motorcycle tire. there is a big difference between having a motorcycle tire go bad and having a car tire go bad. bite the bullet, get a new tire.

Jim VonBaden
Tires are rated for certain speeds. When a tire is patched or pluged the rating drops by 50-75%. A dealer will not plug a motorcycle tire. there is a big difference between having a motorcycle tire go bad and having a car tire go bad. bite the bullet, get a new tire.

Of course 86% of all statistics are made up on the spot! dopeslap.gif

Have a link to this one?

I have never heard such a thing. Most dealers and tire manufacturers say plugging is forbidden, though many of us who have done it have been perfectly safe.

Jim cool.gif

PS What rating is reduced by 75%? Weight, speed, tire life? crazy.gif

When I was a kid and had little money I repaired, as most did ( patched the tire ) and never had a problem. I agree the repair is the important part and the type of damage determine to patch or not. I still repair my tires and will continue doing so. Jim, there is much truth what you said about statistics. Sometimes the smoke gets thick and is hard to see through.

Dunlop suggests repaired tires should not be used at speeds in excess of 75 mph:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=13#tip

Just in case the link doesn't work this what they say:

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

Survived-til-now

Like Andrew I too did a trawl of tyre manufacturers websites and could not get a consistent answer.

Now I am doubting the validity of my earlier thread re repairing z-rated tyres is OK. I have e-mailed Bridgestone to confirm what my tyre supplier told me is right!

One site did say that any speed rating was voided after a repair - now how would that go down in an insurance case?

By the way - I have done a number of repairs using the BMW kit and they have always worked well for me - but I have only done them as a stop-gap and only on the rear tyre.

Let you know if they reply......

Andy

For me it was a matter of 'piece of mind' having a new tire over a repaired one. (yea yea, ignore the signature at the bottom for this post tongue.gif)

I also just had my first flat ever. I picked up a drywall screw in my rear tire. The tire (Pilot Road) only had 3400 miles on it which is a drag but I'm glad it happened close to home as this was the first time I had to use the plug kit. I only had three of the BMW plugs and the first two ripped while trying to insert them. The lesson is to ream out the hole until the T tool goes in and out pretty freely. I did get the last plug in. I managed to limp home and then put in 30 psi. with my compressor. I didn't want to chance riding on it for long so I took it in the next day to get a new tire. The next morning the tire did still have 30 psi. so at least I have some confidence that the plug will hold pressure.

Bill

07 R1200RT

As a follow up-thanks to all who posted to my inquiry, especially Tony K with the visual which has shown to be somewhat accurate. Not only did I have the nail, but I found there also was a 3/4 inch cut in the center of the tread. I replaced.

If we remove the steel and textile belts from the tire, and inflate it to 36 psi, the rubber frame will either blow up, or become a balloon at least twice as large as initial size.

If the nail damages the steel belts or carcass, there will be a very weak spot. So, repairing the tire is a risk, either small or big.

Archived