IGNORED

uneven tire wear

paintman

I bought a used 2000 1100RT last year with a salvage title. I was told that the bike had no damage to the frame, forks or engine (cosmetic only and has new fairings). The bike runs great and I put about two thousand miles on it. I changed the rear tire because the former owner rode highway a lot and had worn it flat. After about another thousand miles I have noticed that the front tire has worn through the grooves but only on the left side of the tire. The former owner had told me the front tire was new when I purchased it. I now fear that the bike does have a bent frame or maybe bent forks. It doesn't appear to handle poorly but I am fairly new to street bikes. Any comments?

And the pressure you are running? Tire type, make, model?

As for bent frame/fork. These things tend to show up pretty quick on the first ride. The don't track or steer well. Let alone the obvious indicators of said damage.

The front tire by the way wears out more quickly on the left due to road crowning.

It seems as though the front tires thumbsup.gif always wear unevenly. I would not worry about it. It is a little "quirk" that you have to put up with. Enjoy that excellent bike!

I bought a used 2000 1100RT last year with a salvage title. I was told that the bike had no damage to the frame, forks or engine (cosmetic only and has new fairings). The bike runs great and I put about two thousand miles on it. I changed the rear tire because the former owner rode highway a lot and had worn it flat. After about another thousand miles I have noticed that the front tire has worn through the grooves but only on the left side of the tire. The former owner had told me the front tire was new when I purchased it. I now fear that the bike does have a bent frame or maybe bent forks. It doesn't appear to handle poorly but I am fairly new to street bikes. Any comments?

This is one of those "They All Do That" things. Many bikes exhibit this behaviour, the RT seems to be one more noticeable. Your bike is straight, the tyre wear is just a normal characteristic of the marque.

There are as many opinions as to why this happens as there are days in the week but I have never seen any data to make me believe one theory over the others. Keeping a close eye on tyre pressures seems to help but that is true of tyre wear in general.

Enjoy the ride

Andy

Paintman, as mentioned most American ridden motorcycles do wear the L/H side of the front tire sooner than the other parts of the tire..

Just to be on the safe side you might want to strap the motorcycle in an upright position with the bike’s weight on both tires.. Then use a common carpenters bubble level & get the rear tire standing exactly plumb,, then go to the front tire & check that for being plumb & in the same plane as the rear.. If both tires are at the same angle (straight up) then you are good to go..

Twisty

Archived