IGNORED

Through the Everglades

Lets_Play_Two

Lets_Play_Two

It was a great day for a ride in South Florida and my girl friend and I decided to join a group from BMW Motorcycles of Miami for a lunch ride to Everglades City which is kind of on the west coast....of Florida. It is an 80 miles ride for us to get to Miami so we started off in the early chilly morning light. Since we were in a hurry to get there, we just jumped on the turnpike and headed south. By the way, my girl friend just got her own bike 4 weeks ago and as of this evening she has 1250 miles on the odometer. The ride to lunch was through Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve and we went with about 40 other bikes, mostly GSs!!! An interested aside to this ride was the chance to talk to Emilio Scotto who, according to the Guiness Book, holds the record for the longest motorcycle ride. He just published a book on March 15th about his adventures when during 1985-1995 he rode around the world, not once, but twice, accumulating just less than 500,000 miles while visiting over 200 countries and taking 90,000 photographs. He rode a Honda.

We had really fresh fish for lunch and Key Lime pie. We then made the trip home in a nonstop 150 mile shot. My girl friend can really wind up that 650GS. It certainly was a great day to ride and a great chance to meet a lot of other BMW riders in south Florida. I also learned that BMW Motorcycles of Miami is number 8 in sales in the US after only being open 1 1/2 years. These guys do a great job of looking after customers and selling their products and promoting motorcyling. I may even sell my H-D and by a GS just to see what all the interest is about. grin.gif

Was in ev cty for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Got to hook up with that group next time. Assume you went to the big restaurant on the left just where the road turns 90 deg. to the right. Great seafood. thumbsup.gif

Lets_Play_Two
Was in ev cty for lunch a couple of weeks ago. Got to hook up with that group next time. Assume you went to the big restaurant on the left just where the road turns 90 deg. to the right. Great seafood. thumbsup.gif

That's the place. We went around the corner for dessert. BMW Motorcycles of Miami has a great owner.

pedro cerveza

I'd like to do one of those rides... I couldn't find anything posted on their website. Is there a published schedule?

Lets_Play_Two
I'd like to do one of those rides... I couldn't find anything posted on their website. Is there a published schedule?

It's usually posted in the dealership. Best bet would be to call them and find out. I think it has been at least twice a month.

Lets_Play_Two
Was this the pie place???

081306015.jpg

AD

No it was a little place to the west of 29 right after you get into town.

Next time you (or anyone reading this) go to Everglades City, check out the small museum in town. Its an old general store, first in the area, built in the late 1800's. Lots of cool history on the area. Its located on the Gulf shore on the west side of town.

Archived