IGNORED

Rear Tire Change Tips Needed

SAMSAR

I'm in the process of doing my first rear tire change on a 2002 1150RT. Conti Road Attacks. Getting the old front tire off the rim was much easier than getting the rear off.

Any tips for getting the old tire off before I break out the grinder and cut it off? eek.gif

Using the Harbor Freight Tire Changing Station. Have a Wilco Bar too but the round plastic end is now snapped. Thoughts on what else might work?

Thanks!

Paul

My first suggestion would be to lose the knuckleheads that are trying to help you and get someone who knows what they are doing dopeslap.gif

Stan Walker

Any tips for getting the old tire off before I break out the grinder and cut it off?

Just be sure that the tire edge 180 degrees from where you insert the dismount bar is down in the deepest part (bottom) of the rim. Tires don't streach!!.

Stan

Yeeha! Stephen

If you broke the tip off the bar, you were using it to pry the tire up over the wheel rim. That's a no-no. Don't use the bar like you would a lever or a tire iron.

So hard to put into words, so watch these videos. Principle is the same for all machines.

Go here and click "videos" from the menu. Then go watch videos # 10, 11, & 12

www.nomartirechanger.com

If you are breaking things or having to use a lot of physical effort when changing tires then stop... you are doing something wrong. Once you learn the proper technique you'll never have to force anything.

Check out the videos and search the forum for tips. Also download Mitch's instructions for his Mojobar... they are very good, about as clear an explanation as you are going to find. After you do a few changes the light bulb will come on and it will be easy thereafter... don't give up...

Jerry Johnston

Like Stan said keep the tire bead in the center of the wheel when you start removing it - both sides.

So hard to put into words, so watch these videos. Principle is the same for all machines.

www.nomartirechanger.com

Those videos were great and very helpful. I've downloaded a lot of the written instructions but, like you said, it helps to see it in action. Amazing how easy it can be when you know what you're doing. dopeslap.gif

Will try it again in the morning...

Thanks!

My first suggestion would be to lose the knuckleheads that are trying to help you and get someone who knows what they are doing dopeslap.gif
But they're the ones who know the magic of remounting clap.gif
If you are breaking things or having to use a lot of physical effort when changing tires then stop... you are doing something wrong. Once you learn the proper technique you'll never have to force anything.

I expect that's why he's got the help he has -- they're hoping to make their mistakes on someone elses wheels so theirs are spanky new & pretty when they're done lmao.gif
If you broke the tip off the bar, you were using it to pry the tire up over the wheel rim. That's a no-no. Don't use the bar like you would a lever or a tire iron.

www.nomartirechanger.com

+1 for the no-mar tire bar and the tire lube. I have done several tire changes using the no-mar bar and it works just like the video.

Be sure to get the Marc Parnes balancer as well ( no relation) jsut a great tool.

Dave

Archived