IGNORED

Waterproof bag suggestions/critiques

eddd

I just returned home from a short jaunt. This was my first time to pack for an extended time. While my standard hard bags are nice, it is evident that they will not be large enough for a multiple-week trip I'll be taking in July. I'll be traveling solo, so my plan is to strap a waterproof duffle behind me across the rear seat. REI and Cabelas both have some nice choices that are reasonably priced.

Anyone have experience with the bags offered by these vendors? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I've had good luck with REIs waterproof duffle bages. You want the ones with a waterproof zipper, obviously. Pick up a couple of compression sacks as well. You might be surprised how much clothing can fit into those things...as long as you don't mind some wrinkles.

Dave

I second the Helen2Wheels suggestion. I have never had one leak and they are very well constructed. Extremely user friendly and designed for motorcycle use so they strap on the bike securely.

RichEdwards

This works great. Totally waterproof:

136554919-L.jpg

A bit pricey since it's BMW (about $125) but it's large enough to carry my sleeping bag, tent, Thermarest, and other stuff.

136554919-L.jpg

I'll second the BMW bag. What I do is carry all my clothing in the BMW bag. I have a small Helen2Wheels bags for my tent that I can attach to the BMW bag with it's outside draw strap. I have my sleeping bag and Thermorest in a compression sack I can carry in a saddlebag along with other road stuff and I still have one saddlebag free of shoes and other stuff.....packed right, you can carry LOTS of stuff. But the really nice thing about the BMW bag is how easy and quick it is to attach to the bike. I can literally have it on or off the bike in less than thirty seconds and I don't have bungee cords all over the place. A little pricy but worth every penny. Oh, BTW, it is made for BMW by Ortleib, a brand that is carried by Aerostich. However, the BMW bag is of a specific design that Ortlieb only makes for BMW.

A bit pricey since it's BMW (about $125) but it's large enough to carry my sleeping bag, tent, Thermarest, and other stuff.

I just bought the Cabela's dry duffle (large I think). It worked great. thumbsup.gif I didn't try and throw it in the lake to properly test it, but for $60, I would recommend. It packed easily and easily strapped to luggage rack. With that and the saddle bags, I packed enough for a 10 day trip..

daytona_007__2_.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

Another vote on that BMW bag. I've had mine for years. A little petroleum jelly on the "zipper" to keep it supple and never and issue. A pair of Helen 2 Wheels straps holds it to any of my bikes. I can get enough "stuff" in there for a week on the road, including my laptop. I actually prefer it to my E460 top trunk. I also have a BMW duffle from H2W that was designed to work with the KRS, it is not waterproof but, I pack my gear in various sized zip lock bags anyway so nothing critical gets wet. This often gets strapped to the top of that Givi E460, I have the optional rack to give Sock Monkey someplace to sit and view the world. The little duffle is used as an easy access tail trunk. Rain suit goes in there, along with stuff too bulky for the tank bag.

A++ on the helen2wheels..just rolled in Thursday nite and had rain and wind the last 250 miles. everything in the duffel was dry.....couldn't say the same for the back of my neck and shoulders grin.gif

grizzly660fan

I have used the REI bags many times on river trips (one of the things they are designed for). I used to run the colorado river from moab to lake powell through cataract canyon. if you properly seal those dry bags from REI, you can totally submerse them and they won't leak. river tested by me and I can endorse them.

good luck!

Garry

BucksTherapy

136554919-L.jpg

Here is a little less costly source Chicago BMW $108 part number 72607653818

Good Luck

I have a "Wolfman" dry duffle and small duffle, work outstanding! They have a Tunnel design to fit over my rear seat, tie down straps, roll top and very waterproof.

GS Adventure 1200, 2006 thumbsup.gif

Archived