IGNORED

Continental Road Attack wear bars

johnlt

I have OEM Road Attack tires on my 12RT and have about 1/16" tread depth at the wear bar. I didn't measure it when they were new so don't know the "percent" tread life left. I assume I've got another 2 or 3 K miles left prior to replacement but not sure. Does anyone know the wear bar depth when new? tks

John,

I checked my new Road Attack (rear) and it appears there's 7/32 at the wear bars. Mighty puny wear bars too, I had to look for a few minutes to even find them.

Great, thanks Al. Looks like I have ~25% which should get me to Texas Hill Country and return in good shape (but I will check them periodically).

Your tires are already worn out. I'd start looking to change them when you get down to 2/32". No way will you get another 2-3K and still be safe (especially in the wet). That tread is all you have to channel water; no tread and it's easy to hydroplane.

Now you've got me paranoid Brian. I have more "tread" than 1/16". It is just 1/16" left in the "wear bar" area. I have 3/32" in the center in a "non wear bar" area. I could use some more experienced opinions. I've only got one day before leaving for a 2k+ ride.

Paul Mihalka

My personal guesstimate with no hooning is about 1mm = 1000 miles. 3/32" = 2.4mm. I would not leave with that tire on a 2K trip.

Do you really want to ride 1000+ miles constantly worried about remaining tread depth? Spoils much of the ride being worried and chanting "I think I can, I think I can,..." I'd spend the $ for new rubber and enjoy the increased handling and safety margin.

That does it. I'll run down to SW Mototire today (fortunately they're in town)and get a new pair. I agree, it will save me worrying about it. Thanks guys,

john

Archived