IGNORED

Handle bar risers? - R1100RT opinions

Mark_Turner

Mark_Turner

OK, looking for some feedback on handle bar risers before I purchase a set of Moto-Techniques. I'm going on a trip at the end of April and I'm hoping this set will make the riding position a little better. Not sure how much a change will really make. Looking for some positive feedback.

Don't know if they were the same brand you're referring to, but I bought an 1100RT with bar risers and didn't think much of them at all. The riding position IMHO is pretty darn good as it stands, and it seemed like tweaking the factory geometry isn't necessarily a good idea...it'd be hard to convince me that a bolt-on accessory...well, I'll stop there. Also, the set on ye olde 1100RT also would make *very slight* contact with the tank at full turn, so they went the way of eBay. Not throwing cold water on your idea, just consider both sides to the equation.

szurszewski

My wife upgraded me to an 1100RT last summer. I rode it 1200 miles (SF, CA up to WA) the first two days w/stock bar position and experieced a pretty "good" ache on the back of my right shoulder. I picked up a set from the local dealer, put them on and then rode back down the coast to SD, CA (this is two days later), also in two days.

My shoulder was still sore from the first trip when I started the second trip, but it got better on the way. I guess I'll never know if it was from the barbacks or just from the bike breaking me in, but my opinion is that the barbacks were a great help.

YMMV

I have an '04 RT that I was looking for the perfect riding position on. I naturally thought bar backs would be the ticket, I am 6' and tall from the waist up.

Now that I have put 14K on it in the last year and had the bar backs on and off a few times I have to say I think the bar backs make the riding posture too upright. I am going to see if I can modify mine to make the bars more forward. I think this would actually make the posture better for longer distance riding. My $.02

Mark_Turner

Well I have to say I'm not that tall! being only 5'9'' I find that the forward position puts too much weight on my palms when riding. I have just replaced my seat with a Rich Meyer seat which seems like it raised my position an inch or so higher. Well I went ahead and ordered a set and I guess I'll them a try next week when they get delivered.

Hi Mark,

I'm happy with my moto-technique bar backs. Similar to you, I added them after an aftermarket seat (sargent/regular) raised me up. No problem with clearance, no 'bar end hitting tupperware'.

On each seperate handle bar is one (of four) bolt with a nut; be sure to find which one and loosen it prior to removing bolt. I'm not 100% sure but I think 20 n/m is needed for tighetning all sixteen bolts (four on each side, times two).

Now about the underage drinking, is that real beer or just lite ?

Wooster, 5.5 ft and happy with his moto-technique bar backs

Mark_Turner

Thanks for the input!!! That was a pic of my nephew a couple of years ago, he was about to take a swig from that keg when the pic was taken but he couldn't quite figure it out!! Just goes to show how much we love beer in our family!

ShovelStrokeEd

Shelby has it. We were never designed to sit upright and it is bad for your back.

Learn to bend at the hips and not the waist to reach your bars and all will be right with the world. The money you save on Chiropractic alone will buy plenty of gas to appreciate you new found long distance comfort. thumbsup.gif

Mark, I got a set before I got a new seat and what a difference it made for me. I'm now going to hold off awhile on getting the new seat because with the barbacks and a small jacking of the front seat mounts my bum doesn't go num after 200 miles. I rode to Tucson AZ from Brea CA and back a couple of weekends ago and was very comfortable the whole way. (My daughter is attending U of A and I went out to help her with something.) thumbsup.gif on the barbacks.

Mark_Turner

I went and ordered today! Thought about it and really don't have much to lose but 60 bucks! Anyway do you take your bike over to Irv Seavers for service? Use to hang out there a lot when I lived there.

I put a set on my 99 R1100, think they came from Bob's. Took them off within a year as they seemed to shift my riding position back and up slightly such that back and neck pain occurred. Doesn't take much. The riding position on the R11 is pretty good but it does take some acclimation, and perhaps some focus and attention to get used to. Good luck.

I put mine on last nite and took a short ride and liked what I felt. you can still bend at the hips and I still do but I don't have to lean quite as far. being 56 I sometimes cramp in my hip front at the groin and I think this will help that cause there is less angle at that point from upper thigh to torso. just my take after a short time....we'll see.

Cheers

strat lurker.gif

Mark_Turner

Yep, I have that cramp once in a while too! Sucks getting old! Anyway I should have my order by the end of this upcoming week and it should warm up too to test them. It can't make it any worse is my feeling.

Mark

ShovelStrokeEd

The cramp at the hip joint is probably cause your pegs are too high and too far forward. A set of rear set footpegs is what you need.

Actually, pay no attention to me. The most comfortable bikes I have are my Honda Blackbird and Honda VFR. The riding position is almost perfect, for me. Both with stock bars and stock seats. My 1100S ran a very close second with the bars under the triple tree. I'll be 65 in July, btw, so you don't get to play the age card.

Jerry Johnston

When I first purchased the RT in 96 I bought a set of bar backs at the same time. Put them on and couldn't really tell too much difference besides them touching the tank in a turn position. Took them back off in a week, went on a 14k trip and by the time I got back I didn't feel like I needed them any more. Age doesn't count here either since I'm 69.

I bought a set of risers around 2 years ago for my R1150RT. Like you, I'm 5'9" and thought that I would benefit from the change in posture. I was disappointed to find that they didn't make a noticeable difference.

I took some serious notice of "Master Yoda's Riding Position" and found this to give the greatest relief for all of the discomfort and fatigue associated with the long haul.

I subsequently removed the risers and sold them who sings their praises at every opportunity.

Posture is a variable that can't carry from one rider to another. You may find that the bar risers give you total relief as they did for the person to whom I sold them.

Truly the best thing about the bar-risers is that they will resale rather quickly if you decide they are not for you. I do happen to like my pair that i bought from a fellow here that found they wern't for him.

Archived