IGNORED

K1200R-Sport at dealer

stubble!

Stopped by the dealer today, and they had a new silver K12R Sport on display. The brake discs were virgin. I sat but didn't ride, I can't afford that test ride right now.

As we know, the bike is identical in every visual way to the K12R, except of course for the fairing and coloring. The bars and grip orientation are the same, but, and it may have been my eyes, the Sport bars looked to be slightly lower when side by side to the R.

Compared to the K12S, the upper fairing and windshield are different in detail but very similar in size and overall shape. I'd wager the wind protection is very comparable. (of course the S has a large lower fairing. On the Sport your knees are in the wind.)

Sexy bike.

tom collins

i was hoping the bars would be higher. i had a pretty good ride on a friend's k1200r last weekend. you are correct to pass on the test ride until you are ready. anything that fast should be illegal. at certain speeds, the low bars make sense, but i was hoping the sport would be more sport-touring oriented than sport-oriented. looks good though.

tom collins

Just looked at it on Motorcyclist, and it looks weird to me. And on that only photo it looks like an old fairing, with the headlight reminiscent of the R1100RT. If I was getting something like that, I'd much prefer the R with its avant-garde looks with a mini fairing, but that's just me. Good to see BMW is covering all possible bases; there're tastes for every bike out there. Cheers.

I just took delivery of a blue K1200R Sport. I'm loving it. It's a blast to ride and I think it looks great. I highly recommend it. thumbsup.gif

Don't do it guys!!!!!

The acceleration induced G-forces will stunt your growth....

that or grow hair on your chest blush.gif

I always get those two corn-fussed grin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to snap a few pictures of my K1200R Sport:

k1200rsport1.jpg

k1200rsport2.jpg

This is the most fun I've had on a motorcycle in a long time.

The bags are the same as what's on the KS.

They are small till you expand them.

It's a clever setup but pricey.

This is the most fun I've had on a motorcycle in a long time.

Don't loose your license grin.gif

Congrats thumbsup.gif

I love the bags. They are a bit small, but as Eric mentioned they are expandable. The black straps can be lengthened to allow a section of fabric to unfold. When expanded the bags are large enough to hold a helmet in each. to me this is the best of both worlds. Enough room to store a helmet, but bags that shrink when not in use. Perfect.

Also, the bags go on and off in a few seconds and when removed the mounting hardware they leave behind is hardly noticeable.

This is a refreshing change for me. My previous bike was a Ducati Multistrada with the large sidebags. The bags were gigantic and I didn't always need them on. But, I never wanted to take them off because the mounting hardware detracted so much from the look of the bike. Kudos to BMW for coming up with such a smart luggage solution for this bike.

840373-Rear.jpg

840373-Rear.jpg.e091d4689d7c093b86ef2f3eef150040.jpg

Don't loose your license grin.gif

Congrats thumbsup.gif

I think a license could be lost pretty easily on this bike. It certainly has more power than anything I'm used to. I constantly remind myself I'm learning a new bike and I need to ride catiously. The other night I got too frisky coming out of a turn. I was slowly rolling the throttle on as I was turning out and felt the back tire spin and slide a little. Wow! My previous bikes never did that. I took that as a little reminder from the bike to treat the k1200 powerplant with respect.

This is my first BMW bike, and so far I am absolutely smitten. Incredible power and speed, but comfortable riding around town, too. I should've gotten a BMW motorcycle years ago.

Here's a couple more pictures. (Help, I can't stop posting pictures of my bike)

Rearside.jpg

bagsabove.jpg

It's a helluva lot better looking than the K1200R. Amazing what a little plastic can do!

thumbsup.gif

I'm happy to hear you say that. A couple of K1200R fans were telling me how ugly the K1200R Sport is. I think it looks great, but I guess to each their own.

It certainly has more power than anything I'm used to.

Wait till it's broken in thumbsup.gif

The other night I got too frisky coming out of a turn. I was slowly rolling the throttle on as I was turning out and felt the back tire spin and slide a little.

They tend to do that from time to time blush.gif

I took that as a little reminder from the bike to treat the k1200 powerplant with respect.

Respect?... I'll show you

grin.gif

Thanks, Mark. Your R1200RT looks like a mighty touring machine. Just looking at it makes me want to take it for a long road trip.

I saw your reference to Neal Peart's book in your bio. I'm a drummer and a big Neal Peart fan but I had no idea he'd written a book about motorcycling. I've ordered the book on Amazon and look forward to reading it. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks, Mark. Your R1200RT looks like a mighty touring machine. Just looking at it makes me want to take it for a long road trip.

I saw your reference to Neal Peart's book in your bio. I'm a drummer and a big Neal Peart fan but I had no idea he'd written a book about motorcycling. I've ordered the book on Amazon and look forward to reading it. Thanks for the tip.

I bought it last April, and last June I rode it to Gunnison CO, by way of Utah, to break it in (10,000 kms round trip). Next month I'm planning to go to Torrey, UT. In July, I'm heading off to California, two-up. Yeah, it's grreat for touring.

BTW, Neil's written another book about riding (as in motorcycles, as he's also done one about bicycling in Africa). It's entitled "Roadshow: Landscape With Drums, A Concert Tour By Morocycle". This is a much lighter read, but fun -- he basically hops in a tour bus, does a few hours of driving (bikes in trailer), then rides his GS between concert dates (while his band mates fly in the private jet). Great combination of music, and riding.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadshow-Landscape-Drums-Concert-Motorcycle/dp/1579401422

This is a refreshing change for me. My previous bike was a Ducati Multistrada with the large sidebags. The bags were gigantic and I didn't always need them on. But, I never wanted to take them off because the mounting hardware detracted so much from the look of the bike. Kudos to BMW for coming up with such a smart luggage solution for this bike.

Do you miss anything about the Multistrada? Right now, I'm leaning towards replacing my K11RS with a Multistrada or R1200R. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about the tradeoffs.

Dave

Hare_Trigger

This bike was at the top of my "next bike" list, but then one of the magazines said in a write up that the fuel injection was horrible off-throttle and under deceleration. Basically that it was great while accelerating, but otherwise not nearly as good as other manufacturers.

Since this would be my do-everything street bike, and 80% of my street miles are put on in my city commute to work, this really turned me off to the bike. So, do see any of this? When you have to negotiate around a parking lot, any jerkiness or just bad stuff going on?

Several software changes have been released in an attempt to address undesired fuel characteristics.

My early 05 is much better after a software upgrade.

It's not perfect but it's about 3+ versions old.

Calvin  (no socks)

Eric, I still have Beta software in my early '05... It hasn't been back to the dealer since the 600 svc. What is all this problem on de-accel...?

The problem with the software is once an undesireable function is removed, other changes are made behind the scenes, you can't go back to original specs..DAMHIK

What is all this problem on de-accel...?

Engine braking stopped at about 2.75k so you ended up having to pull the clutch in at that point. Fortunately I didn't have to ride in situations that exacerbated the condition (city & stop-n-go freeway).

I think I now have v6.0 and my gripe with it is now there is a bit of a power lag when up shifting.

It's not a real big deal just an annoyance.

Hare_Trigger

Thanks for the info. I think I could get used to an "anoyance", but what I thought I read (and what I wanted to hear others opinions on) was whether the fuel-management issues with the new generation K bikes (possibly only a problem with the KR & KR Sport?) were indeed an annoyance that you get used to (like the rubber mounted bars on my R1100RS - my first ride on the bike I hated them, but now dont' even notice them) or whether the bikes were almost unsafe in some circumstances.

The only reason I asked is that going from my R1100RS to the K1200R Sport would be almost a 40% (?) increase in horsepower, which when coupled with a rain-slick city street and stop-and-go traffic would be just no fun at all if it was more than a mere anoyance.

But then I've got 30+ years of riding experience, still race dirt bikes and ride trials... heck, I can probably assume that it's not that big a deal and like with any bike I could learn to live with the K's idiosyncrasies.

It's a funny thing with these magazine reviews... if they don't say anything bad about a bike (which seems to be the case a lot of the time) then I wonder if the magazine is just a marketing tool for the manufacturer. But when they do bring up something that could be refined or done better, then people like me overreact.

dopeslap.gif

tom collins

get the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. they have a good article on that bike and they are totally unbiased. it was very favorable. i rode a friend's k1200r recently and noticed no bad behavior at all except a tendency to surge from 60 to 120 mph, but i could get used to that.

go for it.

tom collins

Hare_Trigger

OK, the R Sport is back at the top of my list.

The other bike I'm heavily considering though is the KGT. Not as good for my daily commute, I admit, so why is it number two on my list? The electronic cruise control.

After doing a couple of iron butt rides on my RS last year (18 hour days) with a ThrottleMeister (very nice for what it is -- a throttle lock) I'd pay whatever it costs for electronic cruise control.

So if the KGT has it as an option, why can't the R Sport? Come on BMW!! What are my options?

that's the main reason I got rid of my K1200GT - that and the clunkiest gearbox I have ever had. Mine was an 07 with v 7.1 software and it still wasn't close to right. In fact, in stop and go city traffic, it was downright dangerous. BMW is notorious for debugging their bikes (and cars) after they are released. If you are going to get this bike as an all purpose bike, make sure you take a long test ride in varying traffic conditions to be sure that it is just a "minor annoyance" to you, offset by the many outstanding qualities of the K bike, and not a real problem.

...was horrible off-throttle and under deceleration... So, do see any of this? When you have to negotiate around a parking lot, any jerkiness or just bad stuff going on?

They must have gotten all of that straightened out because mine feels quite well mannered at low speed. I've been using it to commute to and from work in stop and go highway traffic, as well as lots of low speed city traffic, and I find it utterly easy and predictable during deceleration and low speed operation.

The only tricky part is that if I'm rolling along in first at 1k or 2k RPM and I open the throttle too fast the bike jerks pretty hard. (But that's what we want the bike to do, right? Accelerate extremely quickly when we open the throttle.) But, It only took me a day or so of commuting to get the hang of being extra gentle with the throttle at low speeds.

So, no, I have not noticed any bad attitude out of this bike at low speeds or under deceleration. In fact I'd say it's as good or better at low speeds than any of my previous bikes. (Honda VFR, Ducati Multi)

Engine braking stopped at about 2.75k so you ended up having to pull the clutch in at that point. ... I think I now have v6.0 and my gripe with it is now there is a bit of a power lag when up shifting.

It's not a real big deal just an annoyance.

I haven't noticed either of these problems. Perhaps there is a powerlag compared to previous software, but since I never experienced the previous software, I wouldn't know. The bike feels like it has plenty of power for me when I upshift. It still seems ridiculous to me how quickly this thing gets up into triple digit speeds!

Anyone gone from the R1200's to one of these? I had a K1200GT loner when my Bike (R1200RT) was in for servicing, that Engine’s got me hooked and I'm thinking very hard about the K1200R Sport. I have 2 main concerns;

Going Nut's and losing my License (please don't tell me it only goes as fast as you want it too).

I use my Bike to commute to Work; I'm a bit worried about how this Beast will handle wet weather commuting.

For wet weather commuting, the ride you have now is as good as it gets. Only the GT comes close.

I also fear for my license. I had the dealer do the wiring to install my V-1 before I brought the bike home. Besides the power, the problem is the K is sooo smooth at speed.

Bought it dopeslap.gif

Blue, that looks soooo good in the flesh thumbsup.gif

Hope to have it Saturday, I feel like a bleedin' 8 Year old on Christmas Eve! hurry up and bring my Presie Santa clap.gif

Congrats Puddick!!! clap.gif I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Enjoy that massive engine and try not to lose your license. Post some pictures, too. I'm sure you're going to have a great weekend.

thumbsup.gif

Just back from a blast down to England and Back (300 miles) to see my old Dad, came back up across the Border on the A68, Hilly with twists and turns all the way, I didn't use especially high speeds but it was a quick journey, confidently zip past anything ahead of me, but what really blew my socks off was the handling in corners (and there's some absolutely belting Corners on that road), my first Day riding the Bike and it just gave me so much confidence when cornering, Chicken strips gone, and I never felt as if I was pushing too hard. My only complaint is I can't get the Clutch lever to come far enough back even on it smallest setting to get a decent grip on it.

It (or should that be She, my new love) is in the Garage parked facing the Door for a quick getaway tomorrow - Glen Coe? Ya beauty!

Archived