IGNORED

R1200RT Maintenance Questions

kingpinofdisks

kingpinofdisks

Do you have to have the valves adjusted every 6000 miles like the 1150rt?

Will my twinmax work on the newer bike?

Are the shocks longer lasting than the 1150rt (25k miles), or should I skip the ESA and go straight for Ohlins after 25K miles?

I know the r1200rt drinks oil like the 1150rt - and my 1150rt has pinging (detonation) problems, especially in hot weather, due to the crappy california gas and drinking oil. Have they fixed that with the r12, or will I still need octane boost for warmer weather?

What else have you guys noticed about the R1200rt and maintenance?

fourteenfour

I haven't had a real oil buring problem with mine, but I only have 7K on it yet. I do recall that my 04 1150RT burned gobs of oil when I doing spirited riding and engine braking for deceleration... otherwise it didn't have too much of an appetite for the stuff.

valve adjust is 6k from the book, can't imagine any real change regarding the twincarb adjustment tool

Firefight911

Yes, valve adjustments are a 6k.

Yes, twinmax will work just fine. Understand that you will not be able to sync at idle, only around 3500-4000 RPM due to computer controlled stepper motors and a lack of diy ability to park them.

No, the shocks still suck. Save the money onthe ESA and buy some quality shocks as soon as you are able. Use the stockers for the time that your aftermarket are being rebuilt (approx. every 25k - 30k).

Your oil consumption will markedly reduce with mileage. Once I hit about 8500 miles on my ST (exact same motor as the RT), the oil consumption ceased entirely. Did my SS1K and used absoultely no oil.

Detonation is a thing of the past. Use quality fuel of the correect octane rating. When you can't do this, the knock sensor will handle the potential knock/detonation.

Ride baby, ride!

Book is 6000 on the valves, I've been runing 12k with very little movement in the adjustment (bike is at 52K miles).... Burns no oil. If you weigh in anywhere over 160lbs, you'll be looking for new shocks..

Ride Safe

Book is 6000 on the valves, I've been runing 12k with very little movement in the adjustment (bike is at 52K miles).... Burns no oil. If you weigh in anywhere over 160lbs, you'll be looking for new shocks..

Ride Safe

If you weigh under 160 pounds and don't carry a passenger or a lot of gear, you'll be thinking about new shocks too. dopeslap.gif

I know the r1200rt drinks oil like the 1150rt - and my 1150rt has pinging (detonation) problems, especially in hot weather, due to the crappy california gas and drinking oil. Have they fixed that with the r12, or will I still need octane boost for warmer weather?
My R1200RT does not drink oil. None. It's got over 34k now. Pinging. As others have stated here serious pinging is a thing of the past. Sometimes I hear it for an instant if I lug the motor but the computer steps in quickly to retard the ignition. If I run mid-grade gas I do hear it a little more often at first but the bike seems to learn that it's burning lower octane gas and adjusts accordingly.
What else have you guys noticed about the R1200rt and maintenance?
It's easier and there's less of it. clap.gif

My 2005 burns about 1/2 qt for 2000 miles. Other bikes have taught me that subsides after break-in. Ride it like you stole it and enjoy! clap.gif

Valves adjusted every 6000 miles?:

Yes

Will my twinmax work on the newer bike?:

Yes, but idle sync is electronically controlled.

Are the shocks longer lasting than the 1150rt (25k miles)?:

Don't yet know. My ESAs are still as good as they ever were at 18K. miles.

Should I skip the ESA and go straight for Ohlins after 25K miles:

I'd go straight for Ohlins out the door. ESA is a fancy option on not so fancy shocks. Acquire Ohlins and in all likely hood once set up you will never need to change the damping. Preload will only require changing when going 1-up to 2-up.

I know the r1200rt drinks oil:

Mine did not use any conventional oil 0-12K miles. After switching to synthetic at 12K, I had to add a few ounces about 5K into the service cycle to keep the oil in the sight glass. 18K service just completed.

My 1150rt has pinging (detonation) problems:

Never have had any pinging on my 1100 or my 1200. I always run premium gas. Never needed octane boost.

What else have you guys noticed about the R1200rt and maintenance?:

Less servicing required / longer interval for many items such as gearbox oil, final drive oil, brake fluid replacement. Better / easier access than my 1100.

Archived