IGNORED

Wheelies Will Soon Be Illegal

David

A proposal to outlaw “wheelies” by motorcyclists in Tennessee is on its way to a vote in the state House after being approved in a House committee today.

The bill, numbered as House Bill 201 and backed by East Ridge Republican Vince Dean, would redefine “reckless driving” to include the act of riding, er, driving “a motorcycle with the front tire raised off the ground.” It would be a Class B misdemeanor, which would come with a maximum punishment of six months in jail, a fine of $500, or both.

The Senate version of the bill, Senate Bill 550, sponsored by Cleveland Republican Dewayne Bunch, is in the Transportation Committee in that chamber, and no action was scheduled on it as of today.

We here at The Plaza would never take sides on any legislation, but we do offer this observation in jest: The legislature doesn’t want Tennesseans to pop wheelies, hunt while drunk or sell fireworks to 10-year-old kids – what is this state coming to?!

That, according to a story by Jennifer Peoples in the Tennessean.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thank goodness only two of my bikes are capable of sustained wheelies.

It always amazes me that as a nation we think that legislation is the answer when we ought to start with enforcement of existing laws.

It also amazes me how we can pick a specific behavior and get locked on it with self righteous tunnel vision.

A proposal to outlaw “wheelies” by motorcyclists in Tennessee is on its way to a vote in the state House after being approved in a House committee today.

The bill, numbered as House Bill 201 and backed by East Ridge Republican Vince Dean, would redefine “reckless driving” to include the act of riding, er, driving “a motorcycle with the front tire raised off the ground.” It would be a Class B misdemeanor, which would come with a maximum punishment of six months in jail, a fine of $500, or both.

The Senate version of the bill, Senate Bill 550, sponsored by Cleveland Republican Dewayne Bunch, is in the Transportation Committee in that chamber, and no action was scheduled on it as of today.

We here at The Plaza would never take sides on any legislation, but we do offer this observation in jest: The legislature doesn’t want Tennesseans to pop wheelies, hunt while drunk or sell fireworks to 10-year-old kids – what is this state coming to?!

That, according to a story by Jennifer Peoples in the Tennessean.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thank goodness only two of my bikes are capable of sustained wheelies.

It always amazes me that as a nation we think that legislation is the answer when we ought to start with enforcement of existing laws.

It also amazes me how we can pick a specific behavior and get locked on it with self righteous tunnel vision.

Well said......did I miss that ACLU resignation.... dopeslap.gif

I know...I know .....They use the courts not the legislatures to change behavior.

Whip

harleyjohn45

if a congressman can get his name on a piece of legislation, then he can prove he is doing something. the sad thing is some of it gets made into another law. what we need right now is another law. lol

I'm going to join the ACLU just because you said that, they'll probably defend my right to wheelie.

In California you get a ticket for Exhibition Of Speed if you wheelie.

Hah. Let's leave the ACLU out of this. I still have the bruises. tongue.gif

But seriously, how many people does cigarette smoking kill in TN vs. wheelies, and why wouldn't we go after the bigger killer? (And I don't mean the putz in Torrey.)

Or even sticking with motorcycles for a minute, wouldn't lack of gear or age for endorsement kill a lot more people than wheelies?

Hah. Let's leave the ACLU out of this. I still have the bruises. tongue.gif

But seriously, how many people does cigarette smoking kill in TN vs. wheelies, and why wouldn't we go after the bigger killer? (And I don't mean the putz in Torrey.)

Or even sticking with motorcycles for a minute, wouldn't lack of gear or age for endorsement kill a lot more people than wheelies?

Sorry cheap shot........

Cigs...it's all about the tax income in Texas.... I don't know about TN.

Gear....they can't even agree on helmets here in TX....it's a freedom thing....I don't like seatbelt laws either.

I think your original post is correct. Enforce the existing Laws.

photo_gompers.jpg My hero - founder of the American Frontwheel Lifters

Long live the front wheel lifter grin.gif

photo_gompers.jpg My hero - founder of the American Frontwheel Lifters

..........is that "Sudden Sam Gompers"....what does he have to do with the ACLU.....he founded the AFL-CIO....and died about 100 feet from one of my stores.

And wasn't he financed by the Soviet Union.

Stop Hijacking

..........is that "Sudden Sam Gompers"....what does he have to do with the ACLU.....he founded the AFL-CIO....and died about 100 feet from one of my stores.

Stop Hijacking

Pot, kettle, black grin.gif

And wasn't he financed by the Soviet Union.
That would've been difficult, it was 1886.
Joe Frickin' Friday

That's ironic, considering a skilled rider can wheelie at a virtual standstill. crazy.gif

That's ironic, considering a skilled rider can wheelie at a virtual standstill. crazy.gif

Confusing this issue with facts won't help.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Hey, that's Russell's line. I thought he had copyrighted it... crazy.gif

Is the goal of the legislation to protect the biker doing the wheelie from harm (in which case I'll line up in the ACLU line) or to protect the other motoring public from the danger the biker doing the wheelie causes? In which case, if there are already laws on the books for careless and wreckless driving, enforce those! If not, then I'd be in favor of supporting my rights to as safe a driving/riding experience on our public roads as is possible.

Mike O

P.S. It's that time of year in ALL our state legislative environments; solving the inconsequential small things at the expense of really concentrating on the things that matter. Why the hell do we keep electing these BOZO's into office.

There is no danger in doing wheelies. The danger comes from doing them badly. There are some riders I know who are more controlled on one wheel than others on two!

The point being that reckless driving (er, riding) should cover it.

russell_bynum

Hey, that's Russell's line. I thought he had copyrighted it... crazy.gif

Close. My line is "Don't confuse the situation with logic and facts."

Regarding the law: It's more typical bullsh*t from the CA government. And what's really really really scary: When it comes time for these bozos to be re-elected, they'll use this as an example for how they "Made California Safer"...and the sheeple will buy it and re-elect. dopeslap.gif

God forbid they work on real issues like cutting spending and doing something to attract buisnesses (aka TAX REVENUE)...or at least slow the flow of businesses leaving CA for greener pastures.

Give me a break! Of course wheelies in traffic should be illegal. You guys have been listening to too much talk radio. This has little to do with "freedom." In San Jose over the weekend I saw a squid doing an 80mph wheelie in heavy traffic. If he had lost it, he probably would have caused half a dozen cars to crash. I've also seen idiots racing at well over 100mph in heavy interstate traffic. Same deal. Screw 'em. Lock 'em up. Confiscate their bikes. Tell their mothers. Doing that crap on the street should not be an option.

Helmet laws, now that's a little different. If you want to squash your melon, be my guest. You should be free to do that, and smoke, and eat transfat, but just don't freeload on the tax-supported public health care system if you manage to survive.

You guys have been listening to too much talk radio.

Uhm. I don't listen to talk radio of any kind. What talk radio did you think I was listening to? Are you listening to talk radio? Maybe we ought to outlaw that, just like talking on cell phones. It's distracting. And, apparently, it kills brain cells, since it seems to lead to general paranoia and false accusations. tongue.gif

Give me a break! Of course wheelies in traffic should be illegal.

Agreed. The point is they already are. It is called "reckless driving". The question under discussion is whether we need yet another law aimed specifically at wheelies. Personally, I would prefer to see driving while-under-the-influence-of-a-cell-phone classified as reckless driving.

Sorry, that's a hijack.

...The point being that reckless driving (er, riding) should cover it.

Precisely my point. I only wish our representatives would find it more productive to concentrate on bringing meaning to or introducing motoring laws that had an overall safety impact to the rest of the motoring public; otherwise, leave us the hell alone. Like maybe working on health care problems... Don't get me started.

Mike O

There is no danger in doing wheelies. The danger comes from doing them badly.

That's like saying the only danger in skydiving is a bad landing... grin.gif

The point being that reckless driving (er, riding) should cover it.

Agreed

Give me a break! Of course wheelies in traffic should be illegal.

Agreed. The point is they already are. It is called "reckless driving". The question under discussion is whether we need yet another law aimed specifically at wheelies. Personally, I would prefer to see driving while-under-the-influence-of-a-cell-phone classified as reckless driving.

Sorry, that's a hijack.

While a new law (or modification to an old one) might seem unneccessary, there is a possible valid reason. Having testified in many a traffic hearing, I can tell you that a "catch-all" type law like reckless driving is often vague enough to let some things that should be no-brainers slip through the cracks depending on the competence of the defending attourney and/or the lack thereof on the part of the judge. Specifying what is prohibited behavior helps fill in those cracks. Whether explicitly illegal or not, I am against wheelies on public roadways. That sort of thing belongs on a closed course in a controlled environment.

I can tell you that a "catch-all" type law like reckless driving is often vague enough to let some things that should be no-brainers slip through the cracks depending on the competence of the defending attourney and/or the lack thereof on the part of the judge. Specifying what is prohibited behavior helps fill in those cracks.

Good point!

Freeze!!!

Drop that Big Mac, you're over your limit for trans fat for the day!!

lmao.gif

"Looks like I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue" Lloyd Bridges in the movie "Airplane"

lmao.giflmao.gif

but just don't freeload on the tax-supported public health care system if you manage to survive.

Yep. Too many non-tax paying freeloaders there already. eek.gifeek.gif

russell_bynum

I had to read that three times before I realized it wasn't a proposed Cali law. That's exactly the kind of stupid crap that our elected morons would do.

In TN, it looks like they already define Reckless Driving as "Any person who drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property commits reckless driving."

LOL!

I could name 20 people whom I see and interact with on a regular basis who think that riding a motorcycle AT ALL would fit that definition.

It seems open enough so that if it isn't really reckless, you'll get off. And if it is actually reckless, then you don't get off.

I wonder why they specified the front wheel as being the one that must stay on the ground at all times? I guess stoppies would still be OK? lmao.gif

And I guess they don't differentiate between the front wheel coming a few inches off the ground as the bike crosses the crown in the road under hard acceleration and someone doing a stand-up wheelie at 120mph through a school zone.

I'd like to get in the middle of this but won't!!! You boys and girls play all you want...there is entertainment value here!! lurker.giflurker.gif

In TN, it looks like they already define Reckless Driving as "Any person who drives any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property commits reckless driving."

Yup. And here's the proposed text:

(a) A person commits the offense of reckless driving who drives:

(1) Any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property; or (2) A motorcycle with the front tire raised off the ground.

I wonder why they specified the front wheel as being the one that must stay on the ground at all times? I guess stoppies would still be OK?

Don't laugh. Maybe I just read too many appellate decisions, but rather than adding the specificity suggested earlier, I could see an enterprising attorney making an argument that because the legislature knew of stoppies at the time they passed this law, and because they didn't address stoppies when enhancing what constituted reckless driving on a motorcycle, that the clear intention of the legislature is that stoppies are not reckless driving.

And I guess they don't differentiate between the front wheel coming a few inches off the ground as the bike crosses the crown in the road under hard acceleration and someone doing a stand-up wheelie at 120mph through a school zone.

Nope.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner!

Exactly! Within the totality of the circumstances (great legal phrase) a wheelie can be or might not be considered reckless or careless driving. I have personally stopped idiots in residential neighborhoods (old style city not suburbs) doing wheelies and written them tickets for their poor choice of location and speed.

If you are doing wheelies on private property and not killing yourself, damaging property, or getting complained on by the owner...I don't really care, even though we can go on private property and write criminal violations of the motor vehicle code (careless & reckless in Michigan are misdemeanor traffic offenses rather than civil infractions).

I hate it when politicians write laws as knee jerk reaction to issues when existing legislation already covers it. Best example is carjacking....basic elements of carjacking is taking someones VEHICLE from them with the threat of force or use of force to do so. Hmmmm, that sounds exactly like armed or unarmed robbery without the specification of what was stolen listed in it.....

Of course this lead to me having to explain to Deputies at a County Jail that had closed itself (due to overcrowding) to any new tenants unless they were arrested for a specific list of felony offenses....Armed Robbery and Unarmed Robbery were on there but not carjacking.......

Yup. And here's the proposed text:

(a) A person commits the offense of reckless driving who drives:

(1) Any vehicle in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property; or (2) A motorcycle with the front tire raised off the ground.

I wonder why they specified the front wheel as being the one that must stay on the ground at all times? I guess stoppies would still be OK?

Don't laugh. Maybe I just read too many appellate decisions, but rather than adding the specificity suggested earlier, I could see an enterprising attorney making an argument that because the legislature knew of stoppies at the time they passed this law, and because they didn't address stoppies when enhancing what constituted reckless driving on a motorcycle, that the clear intention of the legislature is that stoppies are not reckless driving.

Nope.

Perhaps raised in the legislative context/intent is "the act of lifting" showing either intent, or reckless behavior resulting in the violation.

confused.gif

It would seem that there are already enough laws in place cover this behavior. dopeslap.gif

This seems to be a grandstand play more than a needed change.

Unless,

some sharp lawyer got their client off of a reckless charge for wheelieing by having them demonstrate competence for the court.

Perhaps a video of them stunting shown in court? lurker.gif

You guys have been listening to too much talk radio.

Uhm. I don't listen to talk radio of any kind. What talk radio did you think I was listening to? Are you listening to talk radio? Maybe we ought to outlaw that, just like talking on cell phones. It's distracting. And, apparently, it kills brain cells, since it seems to lead to general paranoia and false accusations. tongue.gif

i think the original posters point was not to legitimize wheelies but enforce existing laws as opposed to passing additional laws.

beemerman2k
Ahhhh land of the free....

bncry.gif

That's my feeling exactly. This "land of the free crap" is just that, a load of crap. Many of the very same people who sing about "freedom" at baseball games are all for laws governing who can and can not do what and when. Drives me nuts.

Freedom. Riiiiight. bncry.gif

Now I don't say this because I think wheelies ought to be allowed, I am simply addressing our so-called "free" society's love for enacting laws upon all those whose lives are not in line with our own. We already have wreck less driving laws on the books, yet we now want more and more laws to govern behavior even more specifically.

What's next, parents will risk being arrested if they spank their own children?! confused.gif

fourteenfour
I'm going to join the ACLU just because you said that, they'll probably defend my right to wheelie.

this is the only reason I could agree with the law. I see too many of these idiots doing it in traffic. Frankly I don't care for them doing it all when I am near, even if I am in a cage at the time

What's next, parents will risk being arrested if they spank their own children?!
That already happens, our Government has already infiltrated into out homes and the way children are brought up.
I am simply addressing our so-called "free" society's love for enacting laws upon all those whose lives are not in line with our own. We already have wreck less driving laws on the books, yet we now want more and more laws to govern behavior even more specifically.

If the legislators don't make new laws they don't have a reason for a job. So by definition, they must make new laws or be out of work. Further, since most are lawyers themselves, there's a certain amount of self-interest in making new laws that lawyers can use to justify dancing around in court. It's a perfect feedback loop.

What's next, parents will risk being arrested if they spank their own children?! confused.gif
This has been addressed in law before (both proposed -- most recently California if I recall and enacted...here in CT). If said spanking leaves a mark (including a reddened hind quarter) it's abuse - as an EMT I was supposed to report those folks if I saw any marks on a kid that might be consistent with with abuse...even if they were also consistent with the kid falling down. One of the things that made me leave the ambulance business.

Jim

What's next, parents will risk being arrested if they spank their own children?!
That already happens, our Government has already infiltrated into out homes and the way children are brought up.

I thought we weren't goona talk about the ACLU. eek.gif

One of the things that made me leave the ambulance business.

Jim

Is that where you got the "Digger" moniker? wave.gif

grin.gif Good one. But no, it's my trail name - I'm an ultralight long-distance backpacker. One of the guys I was hiking with once gave it to me in honor of his field boss when he worked tobacco one summer -- said my hiking style reminded him of Attila the Hun or Digger (his field boss). We settled on Digger. smile.gif

So david is suggesting that people should be allowed to do wheelies all over the fine state?

It's as clear as that. You either for, or against, the evil wheeliers!

Just because there may be more important issues doesn't make the lesser issues, such as wheelies, worthless. I've seen wheelies in public and it's reckless driving. No question. Go to a parking lot and knock yourself out... pun intended... sort of. tongue.gif

The root cause of this legislation was probably some bozo wheelying down the street past the law makers house..........What a shame that he didn't have loud pipes instead clap.gif DOH........now that's a hijack thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

Just because there may be more important issues doesn't make the lesser issues, such as wheelies, worthless. I've seen wheelies in public and it's reckless driving. No question. Go to a parking lot and knock yourself out... pun intended... sort of.

That's the point exactly.

Wheelies on public roads, in traffic, etc are reckless driving.

Reckless driving is already against the law.

We don't need to modify/add to the existing law to make something that is already illegal, illegal.

This isn't lawmakers wasting time on a "lesser issue" when there are bigger fish to fry...this is lawmakers wasting time (money). Period.

It would appear that the Tennessee legislature has as much free time to consider innane BS as the Wyoming legislature... It gets so bad sometimes that I just cringe and have to quit paying attention. While dealing with stuff like this or debating the Official State of Wyoming Grass (I'm serious! DAYS were spent on this topic!) there are some really important issues falling through the cracks.

I for one am completely in favor of riding wheelies, regardless of which State I happen to find myself in. As a geologist and Earth scientist, I'm also familiar with and in favor of "Darwinism" as well. This kind of "on the edge" behavior is self-limiting.

Sheeeesh!

Are wheelies really that horrible? Lets look at it like survival of the fittest. Idiot does wheelies = idiot gets ticket, or loses license, or totals bike and is therefore out of the way of the rest of us! I see wheelies, endos and all that other "trick" riding as a great way to weed out all the morons that give motorcyclists a bad name. So lets just enforce the laws we have and not make new ones. Do a wheelie..lose your license..impound your bike..and pay a fine....I think that may cut down the "tricks"!

bakerzdosen

Maybe a lawyer type could chime in on this one, but since there is a proposed law to outlaw the matter, that implies that the action is legal at the moment. Couldn't someone in TN go out and wheelie all they want until the law is passed and a good lawyer could pretty much get the rider off scott-free?

"It wasn't illegal at the time because the law hadn't been enacted. Had the action (wheelie) been illegal, there would have been no need for the additional legislation."

Just curious how that works.

Archived