IGNORED

dealer/rant

ratfink

Today I voted with my feet at the longtime local/Metro area BMW dealer.

I arrived there at 9:00 am sharp. Another customer and I waited outside the door for ten minutes while employees milled about and ignored us. When the parts guy finally opened the door he didn't even acknowledge us, ran back to parts counter and got on the phone leaving us to wait longer for help. When he decided to wait on us he was surly and more interested in gulping a Red Bull.

Then the parts amnager came to "help" He thought every thing was quite funny and laughed at us.

I've been dealing with these guys over two and a half years and about fifty per cent of the time they really get it right, good service and knowledgable advice. The other fifty percent is frustrating. Advice that is absolutely wrong and an arrogant attitude.

Prices are always high. I bought an oil filter there a while ago and they charged list + $2.00. No they did not include a crush ring.

After all these years a new dealership is opening in the area. I told these guys that I was glad a new shop is coming to town and walked out. The new dealer has a shop in another town 100 miles away and alot of people like the way they are treated there so I'm hopeful the competition will improve things. Well that is my my blog/rant. I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it any more.

baggerchris

Everybody has to do what he feels is best for him. In 1997 I bought Smokey from a Dealership that became a friendship because of the attitude. Seven years later they sold, and the new management absolutely stinks. About 15 miles from where I live, a new dealership is opening soon, and I know the parent dealership as a progressive; client oriented outfit. Guess who will get my business?

Guess they've never heard of "Customer's always right" or "Cutomer's #1". Serves them right if you go elsewhere to spend your hard earned cash.

tom collins

while i am all for supporting your local dealer as opposed to buying from the internet, this presupposes that there is value added at the dealer such as a courteous attitude and expert assistance or at least an attempt at same. i am the first one to talk to the owner the moment my expectations are not met. they usually appreciate this, but if not then it is adios for me. if you gave it a good shot and it sounds like you did, i am right there with you.

ride well.

tom collins

If it's the dealer I'm thinking about (PDX area), I have had the same type of hot/cold treatment from them. I heard about their reputation, but learned the hard way. I have since taken my business elsewhere. Many dealers seem to be arrogant, because they know we don't have many alternatives. Can't wait till that new shop opens!

I have had the same problems with them (PDX) and now I do all my business in Salem. The guy's down there are great. The bad part is my work shop is 4 blocks from the PDX shop. Its a pain going 60+ miles south for service and overnite items. Also bought the new GT in Salem.

about fifty per cent of the time they really get it right
Wow, how did you get such a good one!

Seriously, our local one doesn't even come that close. I ride 3 1/2 hours each way to get to the next closest one, which luckly is quite good. Sure is a good thing I like the bike. And by-and-large can repair it myself.

It's infuriating to be treated like that. I've had pretty good luck with the BMW dealers I've dealt with, but I'm in the Chicago area, where there are choices. I tend to think we all do better when we're facing competition. Unfortunately BMW doesn't sell enough motorcycles in this country to support a lot of dealers, at least with their BMW-only dealer policy.

It's infuriating to be treated like that. I've had pretty good luck with the BMW dealers I've dealt with, but I'm in the Chicago area, where there are choices. I tend to think we all do better when we're facing competition. Unfortunately BMW doesn't sell enough motorcycles in this country to support a lot of dealers, at least with their BMW-only dealer policy.

BMW-only dealer policy??? There are 8 dealers (I think) here in New England and only 1 is BMW-only.

Dave

Without customers, , there is no dealership!

Fortunately for me, thumbsup.gif my local dealer is FANTASTIC! They are not only very friendly, but full of (and willing to share) their knowledge. I am happy to pay a few extra percent to be able to have quick access to the parts ... the next dealer is a loooooong ways away.

tom collins

my former dealer informed me that the one-brand policy was done away with around 2003-2004, unfortunately, that was too late for him.

still, not enough dealers.

tom collins

You're right; that was an overstatement. The prohibition was not truly one against multi-brand dealerships, but against commingling BMWs with other brands in the same dealership. BMW required (requires?) separate showrooms for those dealers that carried other brands. There were other requirements regarding dealership design, colors, and signage that applied at least to the BMW part of the dealership.

The last time I specifically talked with a dealer about these restrictions was in early 2006 and, at least at that time, the dealer told me that those BMW requirements were still in place. I'm sure that someone who works for a dealer can clarify this.

ashleybiker

I have a suggestion. Perhaps there could be mutual benefit for you to help this dealer out. This has worked for me in the past.

Write a short succinct letter to the owner and sales manager of the operation. Factually state what happened on your visit and don’t embellish on the truth. Tell them the result of your visit was walking out of the dealership unhappy, without making the purchase you intended and lacking confidence in their operation. Give them your contact information and ask them to respond. Remember keep it short and don’t threaten them.

If they are “stand up people” you will get a response. If the response if favorable, you may have helped turn them around. If not, run away from them with a very clear conscience.

Good luck either way!

my former dealer informed me that the one-brand policy was done away with around 2003-2004

I was in San Antonio earlier this week, and I visited their dealer (where the staff was courteous and attentive, BTW). They were selling both BMW bikes and Schwinn scooters. I think the Schwinn brand started appearing on Chinese scooters around 2005 -- if that's so, then it must be true that BMW dealers are allowed to add another brand of bike.

I'm not so sure it was ever a one-brand policy. I know of dealers that opened before 2003 and after that have multiple brands. I think the policy is/was to have a certain standardized appearance and so forth and separate showrooms or showroom areas for new bikes. It is/was fine to be a BMW/Ducati dealer as long as you looked like a BMW dealer and didn't mix the bikes. You couldn't look like a Honda dealer and have a few BMW's mixed in.

Just what I seem to recall from earlier discussions and my observations of the dealers I've seen. Perhaps somebody in the know will step in and post the facts.

Guess they've never heard of "Customer's always right" or "Cutomer's #1". Serves them right if you go elsewhere to spend your hard earned cash.

IMHO, the customer may not always be right, but the customer is ALWAYS the customer.

I'm not so sure it was ever a one-brand policy. I know of dealers that opened before 2003 and after that have multiple brands. I think the policy is/was to have a certain standardized appearance and so forth and separate showrooms or showroom areas for new bikes. It is/was fine to be a BMW/Ducati dealer as long as you looked like a BMW dealer and didn't mix the bikes. You couldn't look like a Honda dealer and have a few BMW's mixed in.

Just what I seem to recall from earlier discussions and my observations of the dealers I've seen. Perhaps somebody in the know will step in and post the facts.

Now that seems consistent with my experience, and with Mike's follow-up clarification. I know BMWNA likes to enforce certain standards and even have a say in where the dealer is located. For example, the dealer I currently patronize was pressured into moving several years ago, in order to meet BMW's appearance standards and to be closer to their customer base. And another local dealer was forced to close up shop around the same time.

Dave

The truth is that the Customer is NOT Always Right. But he/she should be treated as if they are.

I have a suggestion. Perhaps there could be mutual benefit for you to help this dealer out. This has worked for me in the past.

Write a short succinct letter to the owner and sales manager of the operation. Factually state what happened on your visit and don’t embellish on the truth. Tell them the result of your visit was walking out of the dealership unhappy, without making the purchase you intended and lacking confidence in their operation. Give them your contact information and ask them to respond. Remember keep it short and don’t threaten them.

If they are “stand up people” you will get a response. If the response if favorable, you may have helped turn them around. If not, run away from them with a very clear conscience.

Good luck either way!

I agree totally agree with this point of view and action plan. How is a dealer supposed to know that customers are unhappy if we don't let them know. Just the facts, no fabrication, keep it short and allow them to respond.

Good luck either way!

Thanks for the suggestion. Very constructive way to handle things, I think. It occured to me to do something like this and if this was my only beef with them I surely would do it.

Since this is the culmination of several bad experiences, I think I'll just try the new dealer or revert to internet dealers like Max. I have had very good luck with Max and the fact that they posted the fiche to the public has been very helpful. In fact the fiche has been the way that I have determined in the past that I was getting bad advice from the local dealer. Thanks again.

Archived