IGNORED

So Much for the JC Whitney Large Topcase....

moshe_levy

It arrived today. I opened the box and inspected it. Not bad! Then I opened it, my first interaction with the incredibly cheap locking / latching mechanism. Upon unlatching the case, the entire handle popped off in my hand (I wasn't rough with it by any means) and with it came the molded plastic lip from the lid - broke clear off! It's amazing - the case itself is of good quality - great, even, considering the price. But the latch / lock isn't worth 5 cents. Seems to me they should have skipped on the former a little more to the benefit of the latter. Anyway, it's going back, lesson learned. Givi, here we come!

-<MKL

Things made in China often fail.

Unless very specific guidlines are ordered from the "Buyer" i.e. The folks fronting the cash to produce said item....

The foundry will use the absolute worst Polyethylene they can scrap together.

Remember, better cost more.... usually.

Givi.....

JC Whitney....

Yeah, there is a difference.

That's a rather broad sweeping condemnation considering the 100's of 1000's of reliable products being produced in China these days. Especially electronics. tongue.gif

I didn't mention electronics. My statement applied to plastics and

Unless very specific guidlines are ordered from the "Buyer" i.e. The folks fronting the cash to produce said item....

99 cent stores exsist as a clearing house for screw ups often made in China made of inferior plastics.

Jim VonBaden
It arrived today. I opened the box and inspected it. Not bad! Then I opened it, my first interaction with the incredibly cheap locking / latching mechanism. Upon unlatching the case, the entire handle popped off in my hand (I wasn't rough with it by any means) and with it came the molded plastic lip from the lid - broke clear off! It's amazing - the case itself is of good quality - great, even, considering the price. But the latch / lock isn't worth 5 cents. Seems to me they should have skipped on the former a little more to the benefit of the latter. Anyway, it's going back, lesson learned. Givi, here we come!

-<MKL

I am on my third JC Whitney top case, no replacements for breaking.

I do, however, always go for the smallest one at $59. I just received my latest one last week, and it is a vey nice case for the money!

TC-Side-rear.jpg

TC-Side.jpg

TC-Back.jpg

IIRC the larger ones are made by SHAD, and are not that great!

Jim cool.gif

tom collins

Jim:

you only posted this so you could show off pictures of your bike, you're not fooling anyone.

p.s. i want your bike. thumbsup.gif

The foundry will use the absolute worst Polyethylene they can scrap together.

Remember, better cost more.... usually.

Givi.....

JC Whitney....

Yeah, there is a difference.

i've never busted a chop stick lmao.gif

Retired At LAst

I recently ordered a topcase from mutazu on the internet. $145 with shipping. Best I can tell it is well made, has electric hook up for brake lights, locks, mounting plate.

Haven't recieved it yet but will get back to you all when it comes.

Allen

Jim VonBaden
Jim:

you only posted this so you could show off pictures of your bike, you're not fooling anyone.

p.s. i want your bike. thumbsup.gif

Of course! Notice how I covered my GF's ST? grin.gif

Jim cool.gif

I do, however, always go for the smallest one at $59. I just received my latest one last week, and it is a vey nice case for the money!

I've got a Givi Monster for my R1150GS and NEVER use it if I'll be anywhere near dirt roads with it. I haven't had any issues with the box or the mount, both are very high quality, but the darned thing is so huge and sticks out so far it looks like a radar dome on an airplane. I get worried that bumpy rough roads would just bust it right off. Toss a couple big watermelons in there and the bike wheelies easier, I've got to admit! grin.gif

79090706-L.jpg

The JCW small one looks much more stable (and a lot cheaper!!!). I've got a TourMaster Tailbag that's HUGE and doesn't stick out in space like the Givi, cost about $60, is BRIGHT RED for conspicuity, but of course you can't lock it.... Sorry, no pics of the TourMaster tailbag on the GS.

Have you looked into PackSafe products?? They make tailbags and such that have a wire mesh built in, they strap tightly to the bike, and I believe they lock.

Doug

I've got a Givi Monster for my R1150GS and NEVER use it if I'll be anywhere near dirt roads with it. I haven't had any issues with the box or the mount, both are very high quality, but the darned thing is so huge and sticks out so far it looks like a radar dome on an airplane. I get worried that bumpy rough roads would just bust it right off. Toss a couple big watermelons in there and the bike wheelies easier, I've got to admit! grin.gif

Doug

I like the versatility of the V46 Givi. Just a little big for the F650 and just right for the RT. It is nice to be able to interchange them from bike to bike. I have been in some knarly places with the V46 on the back and haven't had any problems (yet). I can see why you would worry about the "Radar Dome" falling off though. tongue.gif

givi1.jpg

bmw_trip2.jpg

givi2.jpg

Jim VonBaden
I'm sorry, but that JCWhitney case looks like a 18 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck storage container.

MB>

Hey, it is on a GS! grin.gif

It is about as tough as a Rubermaid bucket, and less ugly than the spaceship Givi on a GS too! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived