IGNORED

Zumo 550 mount for R12ST?

1hawkrider

I just ordered my Zumo; WOO-HOO can;t wait to get it. Anyone out there mount one on a R1200ST? And how? I've seen lots of postings for mounting on RT's. Any "ST" specific advice apreciated.

Thanks, Lou.

I am in the same boat as you. The gadget guy solution looks best although pricey. Another option is the mount that attaches to the clutch or brake pinch bolts although I'm not thrilled with having the GPS off to one side turning with the bars. The dealer is trying to convince me that the Nav II with BMW mount(which I like best) is the way to go and he is offering a big discount since it is somewhat out of date. Sorry, I'm not helping much but maybe someone else could jump in.

bakerzdosen

You might try the Touratech one too...

linky

Personally, I'm going to look for more of a handlebar based option. I know I've seen one, but haven't narrowed it down too much yet.

aggieengineer

When you get your Zumo, be sure to update it with the latest software, version 3.1, via the Garmin.com website. They added some nifty features. I use mine on the bike and in the cars and love it. Positively wonderful device.

In Dec 2006, Touratech launched a basic GPS mount which fits to the yoke and sits between the clip-on bars of the R1200ST. Item priced at <30euros. If you go to the Touratech german website it is listed in their catalogue. I have not seen the item listed in the Touratech country specific catalogue like the UK version probably because it is a low volume seller.

I have seen the Touratech mount you describe. The only issue that I have is if you would decide to use the bar riser from Verholen, it appears that it would not fit.

Are you thinking of betting the bar risers? I have a set of ST risers available for purchase at a very good price if you are interested. Bought the bike with 2,500 miles and risers. Took them off. Would trade for the original pins/circlip gizmo used to stabilize bar in three positions. I am using bolts! Not real elegant, but working OK and much less expensive!

Steve C

I just ordered my Zumo; WOO-HOO can;t wait to get it. Anyone out there mount one on a R1200ST? And how? I've seen lots of postings for mounting on RT's. Any "ST" specific advice apreciated.

Thanks, Lou.

i bought the tourertech mount. clap.gif there was a guy here i cant find the message that did the samething. had somereally good pix of how he mounted his doodads/farkles tongue.gif on his ST.

went on easy. i even added some extra thick weather sealer between the mount and the clipons to reduce vibration and all. do a search you should find the thread.

cheers! thumbsup.gif

I am in the process of acquiring a R1200ST, can't wait for the snow to melt... I may be interested in your bar riser. I think it requires a longer brake line (maybe both lines?), do you have that for sale to ? PM me the price and other info.

Thanks

Diane

I'm sure "rocketbunny" had posted some pics here of the ST GPS mount. I searcehd and found her website, but not any pics of the GPS mount.

Rocket Bunny Blog Pages

I've not had much luck searching these forums, but I'm sure it was here the pics were posted.

• 4 weeks later...
rocketbunny

Here are the touratech mount pics you were looking for. They're on my blog with a short write-up under the "Functional Sparkle" category here.

HPIM1598.JPG

HPIM1604.JPG

HPIM1605.JPG

2 Cents worth

I am currently a K1200LT driver who crashed on the LT and will be downsizing to a R1200RT. Loved the LT....but the lower weight of the RT will help as far as the injury is concerned. As far as the GPS mount is concerned I used the Touratech handelbar mount (using the holes provided for a mirror) The GPS mounted this way did turn with the handlebars but did not interfere with the tank bag or anything else. The one big advantage, for me, was that it brought the GPS (Garmin Street Pilot III) unit closer to my eyes. I did not find it hazerdous to turn my eyes to glance at it. I did on ocassion, while riding, do searches and zooms. I now have a garmin 2610 and will mount it on the RT that I plan to purchase in the near future.

Archived