IGNORED

R1150RT --> R1200RT with questions...

robinje

Hi. I am considering moving from my '04 R1150RT to a new '07 R1200RT for more power, less weight, cruise control, ESA, etc. But, I have a couple of questions. Where are the accessory outlets located on the R1200RT? Are they on the left below the seat like on the 1150RT? Has anyone here installed the Powerlet CANBUS bypass cable to be able to use a battery charger, heated clothing, etc. through the factory-installed outlets?

I have been very happy with my 1150RT, but I admit that the new bike "bug" has got me pretty bad! Also on the list is the K1200GT, but I think that the R1200RT will be a better bike for me. I live in northern MN with many 55 mph bumpy roads and would like maximum weather protection. I don't necessarily need a rocket ship, although more power is certainly not a negative! I considered a GS, but the lack of weather protection and limited fuel range have removed it from the list.

Have any of you who have moved from the R1150RT to the R1200RT been unhappy with your move? If so, why?

Thanks in advance... Jim

Hi. Where are the accessory outlets located on the R1200RT? Are they on the left below the seat like on the 1150RT? Has anyone here installed the Powerlet CANBUS bypass cable to be able to use a battery charger, heated clothing, etc. through the factory-installed outlets?

I have been very happy with my 1150RT, but I admit that the new bike "bug" has got me pretty bad! Also on the list is the K1200GT, but I think that the R1200RT will be a better bike for me. I live in northern MN with many 55 mph bumpy roads and would like maximum weather protection. I don't necessarily need a rocket ship, although more power is certainly not a negative! I considered a GS, but the lack of weather protection and limited fuel range have removed it from the list.

Have any of you who have moved from the R1150RT to the R1200RT been unhappy with your move? If so, why?

Thanks in advance... Jim

I'm still waiting for Hans-Deitrich and his mates to finish building my 1200RT - but I think I can answer that the power outlet is now on the inside of the left fairing around knee height and a 2nd one is an optional extra.

It sounds like adding the Centech accessory block - if controlled by a relay - is the way for you to go. I gather you can take a use the connectror that is dormant under th erear seat (for the 2nd accesory outlet) to trigger the relay - ie it is live when ignition is switched on. But hey, I am only the best researched non-1200RT owner in the world at this point. Come on Fritz, finish that bike and ship it-it's 3 weeks late at this point! frown.gif

I have two additional accessory sockets on my '06 RT (for a total of three). The standard one is as described above (left front fairing). I have another one at the left rear, and the third at the right front fairing (mirror image of the standard left front).

I've had no CANBUS issues plugging my Widder vest diretly into one of the CANBUS-controlled sockets. Ditto for my Cycle Pump air pump.

My battery charger (not BMW) is wired directly to the battery, with the little pigtail zip-tied up under the left side. It's easy to get to when I want to plug in the charger.

BTW, I love the bike. Its maiden voyage was to Utah/Colorado last summer, and this year it will be California, two-up.

I went from an 04 1150RT to an 05 1200RT. The 12RT is everything that the 1150 is but better in many areas. If you like your 1150 you will love the 1200. You won't regret the change.

AdventurePoser

You will LOVE the new RT...fortunately my electronics enabled friends assisted me with both the Centech fuse block and power switch. Also installed the powerlet adaptors for the accessory plugs.

All my electrics work great now. However, CANBUS wreaked havoc on my Widder.

Have fun,

Steve inSo Cal

I have an 05 R1200RT, it came with the single powerlet connector on the left front.

Wanting more outlets, first I bought the powerlet connector or the left rear, that was easy, basically plug-in-play, now I had two CANBUS switched outlets. Then I bought two more powerlets with spade (flat) connectors. I placed one on the right rear and the other on right front opposite the left front powerlet. Using 16 gage wire I wired these two dirctly to the battery through a 15A fuse. Wiring of always hot connectors required the removal of nearly all the tupperware on the right side of the bike. A bit of work however, I did get to see what lies under all the plastic.

Joe smile.gif

On the latest RTs I believe you can draw 10amps from the stock front powerlet and 5amps from the optional rear powerlet. I run a gerbing jacket with no Canbus problems from a fused pigtail straight off the battery. Similarly with the front powerlet, its just more convenient to plug the jacket into the pigtail.

On the electric side of things I went the simply route and just attached my battery tender pig tail to the battery. I can use this to charge the bike or power an electric vest (or other electrical equipment). My GPS I just plug into the front power outlet. Since the GPS and the vest is all that I run it is enough for me. Maybe this year if I get the time I will wire the GPS in a more permanent fashion.

I had a 2005 1150RT (BMW actually made a few 1150's for the 2005 model year along with the new 1200's). It was the bike of my dreams and considered it mine for life... Until I rode my buddy's 1200GS and realized the the one fatal flaw in my 1150. It didn't have the new boxer engine which is superior to the 1150 in every way. I sold the 1150 within two weeks of experiencing the 1200 and found my new dream bike in the form of a 2006 1200RT. Although not as pretty as the 1150 (my kids say the '06 looks like Darth Vader), I have grown accustomed to the new look and consider it mine for life... or at least until they create a better boxer! I haven't done anything with the power sockets yet but with the advice from above, I know my options. Good luck.

Styling is really subjective. A non riding friend of mine, looking at my red '06 RT from the front couldn't get over "how good it looked". And yet a couple of Honda riders I met on the Blue Ridge Parkway said it was "too bad about the damage to your headlight" (which, of course, was in perfect shape!)

Wherever I go, everybody asks something about my 1200RT. It looks better than 1150, at least looks like a newer design and technology. 1150RT's plastic quality is from the last decade, also the dash.

As a 1150GS rider, when BMW first introduced 1200GS, I was dissapointed. But all non riding people I have shown two of them said that 1200GS looks better. Actually it is, after a year I admitted that.

I owned 1150GS,1200GS,1150RT,1200RS,1200GT and finally a 1200RT. 1200RT is the only bike I bought brand new.

Well I think only 1150RT owners think that it looks better than 1200RT, as I thought about 1150GS. It is possible, many people like even Harleys grin.gif

I just upgraded from a 2002 1150RT to the 2007 1200RT and couldn't be happier: better engine (more power, less vibration, no surge), better transmission (easier shifts up and down), much, much better brakes (work smooth whether or not the key is on), better windshield, ESA (no more what felt like 50 turns every time I wanted to go two up), cruise control (not a joke, it's very nice), and heated seats (go nicely with the grips and the vests). I only have two complaints: the mirrors (can see on either side but get a blind spot immediately behind) and the toy horn (nobody will hear the silly thing). All that said, I can't believe how much better the 1200RT is compared to its predecessor.

And one other thing ... better headlights. I put PIAA 1100X's on the 1150RT to be better seen by left turners during daytime. I don't think that will be necessary on the 1200RT.

All my electrics work great now. However, CANBUS wreaked havoc on my Widder.

not to totally hijack the thread but do you know what the problem was with the Widder? I just "upgraded" my software and the service manager told me it would lower the available current to the plug, but when I looked at the draw on Widder's web site it looked like I wouldn't have any problems.

I only have two complaints: the mirrors (can see on either side but get a blind spot immediately behind) and the toy horn (nobody will hear the silly thing).

are the earlier horns compatible with later bikes? The horn on my early 05 is louder than my pickup.

Archived