IGNORED

Help with engine guards

dawn

I know I've seen discussions on engine guards here but now I can't seem to find them. I have the link to the touratech engine guards and I see some on the BMW site that are more of a plate type cover.

What are the most popular engine guards and what are the pro's and con's of each? I do need to add some type of highway peg and I know different engine guards limit what you can use.

Thanks for any input.

Dawn, Proud new owner of an 07 RT smile.gif

Dawn,

I have the BMW plastic ones shown in the link below (scroll down to see them). I've never dropped mine so I can't say what kind of protection you'll see from them. My guess is they would provide minimal protection but probably adequate for a standing still tipover. The drawback, in my opinion, is they are extremely difficult to install without taking the tupperware off. Additionally they aren't particularly cheap and I doubt they're good for more than a one time use. Also, they will need to be removed for each valve adjustment. This is not a huge deal but just one more item to futz with. If I had it to do again (and I probably will grin.gif), I'd opt for the roll bar type like the Wunderlich. This offers more options for both highway pegs and auxilliary lighting. By the way, congratulations on the RT. You gonna love it. thumbsup.gif

web page

Thank you! This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Stand still drops are really what I'm concerned about as I'm on my tippy tippy toes with this bike. Wunderlich was the other name I knew I had read here but couldn't for the life of me remember so I could do a search. Preciate your input. I already do love it. smile.gif

FWIW....I have the BMW (cheapo-plastic) gards on my R12ST. Recently, while in a pretty fast, tight, turn I scraped the footpeg; no big deal. But there was also a slight bump right about at the apex. When I hit that, the rear tire jumped a bit and slid out a little, causing something else to rub pretty hard; I figured it was the center stand. Not sure if it was skill, instinct or luck, but the tire grabbed and I straightened out of the turn without low-siding. I stopped down the road for gas and found that it was the right side cylinder that had rubbed!! Yikes!!

The plastic cover did its job very well. It is obviously badly scraped, and cracked in one spot, but still attached to the bike. There is NO DAMAGE, not a single scratch on the cylinder or valve cover. So don't sell the plastic ones too short. In any case, they will definitely handle a "tip-over".

On the other hand, I will likely replace them with metal gards. I saw a couple of different ones on A&S Cycles site.

Regards, Lou.

P.S. Congrats on the new RT!

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning between the touratech and wunderlich bars at this point. I think the wunderlich allow for more footpeg options like the hawk talons or a few others but both might work. Will take a little more investigation to determine for sure.

Glad you saved the turn! Oh, one other thing, I don't think there are any BMW parts that are cheapo, plastic or not! smile.gif

Rocket_Cowboy

Dawn ... I have the Wunderlich bars on mine. You can check them out when you're test sitting my Elf pegs. smile.gif I've been happy with mine (chrome), but I think WBoyter had some complaints about the finish on his (silver). They aren't cheap, but I do like them.

If you are thinking of getting the Remus header, the Wunderlich will not fit without modifying. Fit fine with the stock header but the Remus comes down and out about 1/2 - 1". I had to bend the lower sections down then in and add some spacers to reconnect them to the lower mount that goes around the bottom of the engine. Probably could have done a better job if I had some bending equipment.

Buckster

That is good info, thanks. I doubt I'll change the header but this is certainly the type of input I'm looking for. Preciate it.

i dropped my r1200rt a few weeks back riding out of an airport car park. i was traveling at low speed navigating a tight turn and muffed what i was doing blush.gif

so the impact was more a tumble than a fall and slide along the road. However, the bmw plastic guard did a great job; it is destroyed but the head cosmetics are untouched.

other damages are deep scratches to the side of the top case and mirror housing. not a mark anywhere else thankfully, not even on the lever or handlebar ends.

so i strongly vouch for the plastic protectors, the designers knew what they were doing

i would be worried about fitting the type of solid engine protectors that fit to the chassis of the bike. they might protect the cylinder head but they could twist the frame of the bike in a sliding accident which might be more expensive than a head to repair. and they add weight.

on the other hand, the bike will still get you home with a twisted chassis (but it needs the heads on) ooo.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
Interesting. Your top case got scratched but not the side case? What top case are you using?

When I dropped my ST1300 in the hotel parking lot in New Mexico, all that got scratched was my top case. Interesting to explain to the new buyer how the TOP of the top case got scratched in a parking lot, ZERO mph drop while trying to put the bike on the center stand (after several very long days riding).

Interesting. Your top case got scratched but not the side case? What top case are you using?

the larger top case, the scratches are on the side, not the top - the side panniers were at home (fortunately)

btw, i also remember the confusion the bike electronics went thru in trying to recover from the bike being down. the abs warning light wouldnt settle until a numb er of switch offs and the fuel level indication took a few miles to sort itself out. it took me even longer to settle as you can imagine dopeslap.gif

Survived-til-now

Dawn

Hate to admit it but I have dropped both the R1150RT and the 1200RT with the BMW plastic guards fitted and in each case the guard was totally destroyed and the head cover was scraped (costing around £150 sterling to replace).

I think the problem is that the bars on the plastic guards are horizontal to the ground but in a drop the bike often goes sideways down the road - in which case the guards are just ripped apart

The BMW plate cover doesn't have that problem, looks really cool and my dealer tells me they survive the drop. I now have them on the bike but of course i am hoping not to have to find out for myself how well they work!!!!

Survived-til-now

Dawn

Look at page 12 of BMW downloadable brochure for R1200GSAdventure

Tried to attach a picture - hope it works

828641-R1200GSprotector.JPG.e6e0b497eb15c533f312ef41896dd108.JPG

Archived