IGNORED

ThrottleMeister Adjustment?

moshe_levy

All-

My '04 RT came with Throttlemeisters. I have never used the feature, but today decided to play with it for the first time. Turning the throttle side 'meister does not hold the throttle open, so I suppose it needs some sort of adjustment to engage that grip to keep it in place, sort of like a poor man's cruise control. Are there any adjustment instructions available anywhere?

-MKL

Firefight911

The adjustment of your Throttlemeister involves the use of shims to get the correct friction adjustment when engaged.

A very important point in all this is making sure you adjust the Throttlemeister with your heated grips hot. This will account for any expansion and prevent any drag and sticking of your throttle.

It really is very simple to do. Just unscrew the bar end from the bike, clean everything real well, shim accordingly (with grips hot), and then button it all up. Use a dab of blue loctite to hold everything in there.

You can contact Throttlemeister for the shims or maybe find a supply house local to you that may have the right ID and OD shims in varying thickness.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention, adjust the set up with your grips hot! thumbsup.gif

With due respect to Phil...it's not shimmed!

You will need a credit card (no, nothing to spend just as a gauge)...philips screwdriver (for switch plate removal) and a 4mm allen key (for the clamp bolt).

To readjust, you will need to move the throttle/brake assembly.

This is done by removing the kill switch plate cover (From memory, 3 screws I believe)and then loosen the clamping bolt. Make sure your heated grips are on....then, with the TM turned CCW about 1/8th turn you should see the bronze inner piston showing..it should be out about the width of a Credit Card!

Move the throttle/brake assembly slightly outwards so it butts against the piston. NOTE : It should butt against the throttle tube NOT the hand grip!!

Clamp the throttle assembly at that position, then open the throttle and rotate the TM further CCW and it should lock the throttle. TADA!

Tighten up and you are done thumbsup.gif.....I had to readjust mine this way about a year ago....been fine ever since.

If the above doesn't work, you would probably need to reinstall the TM "from scratch" and will then need Loctite. I would go to www.throttlemeister.com and ask them for the install instructions for an R1150RT....

Phil C-

Thank you! Your instructions were spot-on, and worked perfectly within a few minutes. Thanks again!

-MKL

Firefight911
With due respect to Phil...it's not shimmed!

Woops! That's what I get for assuming the Throttlemeister's are the same from bike to bike! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

As soon as you buy your new R1200ST, use my earlier post for your install!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Firefight911
See, sometimes it's good being a Luddite thumbsup.gif

You young high tech geeky whippersnappers just complicate your lives even more lmao.giflmao.gif

I'll deal with you next week!!!!

character00293.gif

AlzWmM29.gif

tongue0013.gif

Firefight911
Only if you can catch me wave.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

That is true!!!!! I haven't any practice lassoing over my shoulder to that which is behind me!!! tongue.gif

lurker.giflurker.gif

Ahhh....keep practicing Glasshoppah... wink.gif

I'm behind you because I've already done the route and am on my way back for seconds lmao.giflurker.giflurker.giflurker.gif

Archived