IGNORED

Seat Height of 1150RT?

St_Louis_Don

St_Louis_Don

What is the seat height of the 1150RT with the stock seat in it’s lowest setting? What is the lowest seat height attainable with an aftermarket seat or lowering the shocks?

An inseam challenged buddy of mine is interested in an RT. But he feels the seat height is an issue. Since I put my BlueSea on top of the air box I can’t put my seat into the lowest setting for him.

I did a search and seen where some 29" inseam’rs had good results with the Russell seat. I don’t know his inseam.

I don’t know his inseam.
That's a pretty critical piece of info. I have a 30" inseam and thought that was short - until someone with 28" gave me the business smile.gif If I recall, the stock seat on the lowest setting is 30.5". I have a Wunderlich Ergo Low which drops it another inch or so and I have no problems flat-footing the bike (R1150RT).

Jim

Hmmmm, don't know the absolute numbers, but most aftermarket seats, and specifically the Russell, end up with higher effective heights due to a wider nose section, thicker padding and expanded primary seating area.

Can't tell you what the absolute lowest is, but there are specific low seats made by Sargent and Wunderlich. I had a Sargent and liked it a lot. Unless your friend is under 5'8" that should work. Lower shocks - expensive - can take about another inch off.

I have 29" inseam, and am experienced rider. Had a Russell, which wore out at the spring - it was buzzing my butt... The padding over the spring got too worn and thin. Instead of redoing the Russell seat, I rebuilt it with Mayer, which can be made lower. The Mayer is a "lower" seat. Lower seat comes from 1) actual seat is lower, and 2) front of seat is narrower. I slide forward on the seat, then plant my feet. It's still a one foot stop, or two feet on toes - no flat footing an RT for short inseam folks.

I do a lot of long riding, so comfort is critical, and I was satisfied with a Mayer on an older LT I used to ride.

Unfortunately inseam is a pretty useless way of seeing if you will fit on the bike - as also is the seat height. The relationship between seat height, seat width, inseam length and body mass (OK how fat you are!) all have a HUGE difference when you are close to the limits of fit and function. The ONLY way is to get him to sit on the bike and see if it is safe for him to proceed.

All the Best

Andy

Lineareagle

Something nobody mentions is the boots you are wearing.

My touring boots are Alpine Stars with a very thin sole,I have to really prep for stops with them on.

My jump and go to work boots are Merrells with very heavy sole I have to be careful as my foot contacts the ground earlier than I expect.

So get a pair of boots that give you a leg up on touch down!

It will make a big (tallifying) difference. grin.gif

phoenixtexas

I have a 28" inseam riding my 03 BCP, and use 1.25" elevator inserts in my boots. The inserts come in elevation up to 2" and are cheap. Just a thought.

Jerry Johnston

I have a 30" inseam and have always had the seat in the highest position (easier on the knees on long trips). I have a Corbin seat which did make it more dificult to flat foot but got used to just putting only one foot down. The only time (times - twice) I've had the bike fall over is when I parked it at too high a level.

ElevenFifty

29 inseam - Sargent low saddle ... flatfoot with boots on. Long days riding are no problem as the Sargent is very comfortable.

Darrell Hoemann

Also 29 inseam, all right 28 and a half. Sargeant low seat, works great had a little extra rubber put on by airflow boots.

Archived