IGNORED

System Cases Question

davetastic

This is probably a stupid question to you seasoned veterans out there, but I'm just a newbie. I'm trying to switch out the 'multifunction box' and the lid on my system case. I'm not sure how to get them out. I thought that they would have screws, but it looks like they are just attached with some sort of rivets. Any advice? Is there some special tool I need?

Seems like, but drilling out the rivets is what you must do. Then re-rivet the new cover on (or you can use small nuts & bolts if you think you will be swapping the covers frequently -- some do that so that they can have different size cases depending on need.) If not, it's pop rivet time...

.....Then re-rivet the new cover on (or you can use small nuts & bolts if you think you will be swapping the covers frequently -- some do that so that they can have different size cases depending on need.) If not, it's pop rivet time...
Use stainless steel bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts to keep it purty. thumbsup.gif

That makes sense. Thanks guys. I'll rivet in the mulifunction box, but I'll use screws on the cover, as I will be switching the out the lids fairly frequently.

Yo Mista T.

I pity the fool who has to drill out their rivits each time. Plus you would need different length rivits for the city lids vs the standards. Actually, the rivits might be nicer and even faster once you got the right size, and you could get a whole box of them cheap - but I really wanted to work that "I pity the fool" line in there.

I used bolts to swap back and forth between city and standard lids because it was easy and cost about $1 in parts. The city lids are thinner at the attachment point than the standards, so you might want two different bolt lengths if you are a stickler about keeping it flush. It won't be easily visable because they are under the bag, so I just went with the longer ones and let them stick out a bit when using the city lids.

Mike

Both are very interesting ideas, but it does not look like I would call them the "same" concept.

The Kugler Klamp looks (opinion here) like it clamps the existing hinges to the case with a set of hex-head machine screws (and the block of metal that the screws go into goes outside the case). Thus you don't need to remove rivets each time, but you do need to remove screws each time you swap lids.

The more expensive QuikHinge is exactly that, a hinge. Each set of lids gets its own piece of the hinge. Once installed it no longer needs to be monkeyed with, ever. Is it worth the additional $150? That's up to you.

If you don't swap often, the Klamp looks fine. If you are changing lids often, the QuikHinge looks a lot more convenient.

Nevets' idea accomplishes the same thing as the Klamp, just using your own hardware... This would seem to be the least expensive, yet still flexible, route to go.

Note: I have only one set of lids so no personal experience (or connection) to either product.

Archived