IGNORED

Breaking tire beads

E30TECH

I will be changing the stock tires on the RT next month and recalled how difficult it was to break the beads on my ATV tires. I had to use gasoline to soften the rubber and make it slick. I dont want to do this on my RT wheels.

So my question is, how difficult is it to break the beads on the factory installed Michelins with the HF unit?

Thanks,

Perry

DavidEBSmith

Easy. Put some duct tape or something on the sharp point on the HF changer so you don't get red paint on your rims.

I have also used a scissors jack under my car to break beads. The good news is that you can do it slowly to get it all set up where you want the pressure.

Works great!

I will be changing the stock tires on the RT next month and recalled how difficult it was to break the beads on my ATV tires. I had to use gasoline to soften the rubber and make it slick. I dont want to do this on my RT wheels.

So my question is, how difficult is it to break the beads on the factory installed Michelins with the HF unit?

Thanks,

Perry

Not only what David reccomends but watch those rotors!

DavidEBSmith

Not only what David reccomends but watch those rotors!

Yah, put a block of wood under the far side of the rim so the rotor is off the ground and nothing is pressing on it.

You can take some plastic dip and coat the bead breaker and the leg of the tire changer and that will keep it from leaving a mark as well.

Dave

Jim,

Great stuff as always. I noticed in yours, and others posts using the HF tire changer, you seem to have the upper section of the changer removed. Do you find that part not necessary? It would be much easier to go without it, I'm just curious. Thanks.

I have also used a scissors jack under my car to break beads. The good news is that you can do it slowly to get it all set up where you want the pressure.

Works great!

+1 on this method. The HF Bead breaker works fine too. I just lay a carpet scrap on the base before I set the tire on it. Watch those brake disks too, they don't work too well if bent eek.gif

Great tutorial Jim. I like the nylon block and inner tube modification, much better than the duct tape I'm currently using!

I'll add that using Mitch's Mojo lever makes the job even easier, though it doubles the initial tool outlay, for me it was well worth it. Don't know if he's back in production yet.

I noticed in yours, and others posts using the HF tire changer, you seem to have the upper section of the changer removed.

I never use the top section. Works just fine without it for me.

Jim VonBaden
Jim,

Great stuff as always. I noticed in yours, and others posts using the HF tire changer, you seem to have the upper section of the changer removed. Do you find that part not necessary? It would be much easier to go without it, I'm just curious. Thanks.

Thanks!

I do find the upper section really just gets in the way. There is plenty of support on the verticle bar to pry against for tire removal and installation.

I have recently filmed a tire change, and will have a video out that includes it, in time.

Right now I am completing a service video for the R1200 series, and R1100/1150 series addendums.

Jim cool.gif

Archived