IGNORED

Dry cell question

Jim Miller

In July 2003, I installed a new Odyssey dry cell battery in my 2002 R1150RT. It's been a good unit, but late last fall, I began to have cold starting issues - not enough grunt to turn things over fast enough - coupled with a stalling tendancy at low idle speeds when the bike was cold. Per usual, the bike is on the Battery Tender anytime I'm not rding it, as it's been since late November. Yesterday, I broke it out of mothballs and struggled to get it started (weak battery) then rode the bike about 25 miles. Is the Battery Tender putting enough current into the dry cell to bring it back to max. charge, or is it just time for a new battery?

Per usual, the bike is on the Battery Tender anytime I'm not rding it,
Could be why your Odyssey battery only lasted four years. If you're going to maintain that practice I'd check the float voltage of your charger.
In July 2003, I installed a new Odyssey dry cell battery in my 2002 R1150RT. It's been a good unit, but late last fall, I began to have cold starting issues - not enough grunt to turn things over fast enough - coupled with a stalling tendancy at low idle speeds when the bike was cold. Per usual, the bike is on the Battery Tender anytime I'm not rding it, as it's been since late November. Yesterday, I broke it out of mothballs and struggled to get it started (weak battery) then rode the bike about 25 miles. Is the Battery Tender putting enough current into the dry cell to bring it back to max. charge, or is it just time for a new battery?

Jim,

Keeping it on the Tender is the best thing you can do for a battery. Have you checked the 'float' voltage on the charger? Should be about 13.2V once the green lamp is on solid.

That little Odyssey has served it's purpose. Replace it.

And....it's NOT a drycell, that is just some of Odyssey's advertising hype. It's an AGM battery with about 185CCA's.

I replace my Panasonics every 4 years and never had one fail.

Mick

Jim,

You can do a search on LC-X1220P with the date field expanded to 1 year OR

Go to digikey.com and print out the order form: http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/en/mkt/HTO.html Mail a check with your order and they ship free. You want the LC-X1220P (DigiKey P/N P231-ND) Panasonic battery. I've been using these batteries in all three of my bikes since about 1997. $56.19 is their current price and they have 1,101 in stock. http://catalog.digikey.com/scripts/partsearch.dll?Detail?name=P231-ND

Mick

Jim, if you have a volt meter you might want to check the charging & float voltage on your battery tender.. Odyssey recommends between 14.2v-15v for the charging voltage & 13.6 volts for the float (maintaining) voltage.. Those “rated” dry cell type battery's (both AGM or a GEL cell) run at a slightly higher static voltage than conventional lead acid battery's..

Personally I don’t use the Odyssey brand but I do use AGM batteries in all my bikes & lawn equipment & those battery types typically have a static fully charged state of 12.65 or higher with some even running close to 12.85 volts at room temperature when the battery is fully charged & sitting for a day or two..

With your battery fully charged & allowed to sit for a couple of days you should probably at least be at 12.6 or higher static (no load) voltage.. If it (the battery voltage) is lower than that & your battery charger is functioning properly then you probably have a sulfated or failed battery..

Twisty

Thanks Mick, for the Digikey source. I just placed an order with their Canadian outlet. $69.00 Cdn. plus $8.00 shipping. I had already priced them at a local Battery "discount" chain at $145.97 Cdn. I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths. Perhaps at Torrey?

Thanks Mick, for the Digikey source. I just placed an order with their Canadian outlet. $69.00 Cdn. plus $8.00 shipping. I had already priced them at a local Battery "discount" chain at $145.97 Cdn. I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths. Perhaps at Torrey?

WOW,

Next time I'm up that way on one of my 3-Flags rides, I'll find you. smile.gif Been to Medicine Hat several times and Calgary two years ago but never Edmonton.

Mick

Mick - placed an order this morning for the new Panasonic. I appreciate the sourcing info!

Twisty - I've got a nice multi-tester. Is there a "best procedure" for checking both modes of charge on the Battery Tender?

Tks

Twisty - I've got a nice multi-tester. Is there a "best procedure" for checking both modes of charge on the Battery Tender?

Tks

Jim, I don’t know about “best” procedure but a procedure that should work is to discharge that battery at around 10-15 amps for about 10 minutes (a turned on headlight will do).. Then hook your battery charger up as normal & plug it in.. Set your multi-meter to DC voltage 20 volt scale (or if no 20 volt DC setting use the lowest DC setting that is higher than 20 volts).. Place the (red) positive lead on the battery’s (+) post & the (black) negative lead on the battery’s (-) post.. Then just watch the voltmeter,, after a few minutes the charging voltage should come up to about max (hopefully mid 14 volt range),, then shut the voltmeter off & allow the battery to charge up over night.. After a good all night charge (& the charger still hooked up) turn the voltmeter back on & check the voltage a few times over an hour or so.. At this time the charger should be supplying a float (or maintenance) charge & that should be mid 13 volt range..

If your battery charger is working OK & your battery is still apparently dead (or very low amp capacity) you might try equalizing it.. This procedure is not really recommended on an AGM type battery but a lot battery companies will whisper in your ear that it does work if done correctly & the battery is not serviceable as it is anyhow..

You can research (AGM battery equalizing) on the web or if you can’t find what you need there post back & I will outline a battery equalizing procedure (lot of typing though)..

Twisty

Archived