IGNORED

Dealing with truck turbulence on the interstates

Quinn

As a returning rider, I'm skittish about passing or being passed by large trucks. The wind turbulence is enough to cause a deathgrip on the handlebars and increased suction on the seat. Tractor trailer car carriers are the worst. What techniques can I use to minimize the disturbance? Does lowering the windshield help? Do I just pass quickly and remember to expect the post-passing suck in? Any and all help appreciated.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

...and minimize your exposure hen you can't. I will admit, it is a bit unnerving, but I haven't been thrown off course yet. No need to tighten up, just pay attention and move away as quickly as possible. FWIW - I have never had a bike handle it so well as the RT.

Rich

As a fellow returning rider, I was very skittish about the blasts from trucks as well. I realized that it was better to stay as far behind them as possible to stay out of their dirty air.

If passing, I wait till there is no one to hold me up beside the truck. Dirty air and a blown tire/tread could get you. Pass as quickly and safely possible.

Don't do the death grip thing. Think of it the same as riding in gravel. Loose grip. Arms relaxed. The bike will move some from the air but it will not tip you over. Better to just "go with the flow" and get on with it.

Good luck.

... a blown tire/tread could get you. Pass as quickly and safely possible.

That's excellent advice. Get by quickly. If you have ever seen a tire blow, you know you don't want to be in the immediate vicinity.

Don't do the death grip thing. Think of it the same as riding in gravel. Loose grip. Arms relaxed. The bike will move some from the air but it will not tip you over. Better to just "go with the flow" and get on with it.

Good luck.

What Bud said. Here, a death grip only increases the problem, i.e., truck's air stream's effect on bike. Tite hand grip causes added wiggles to bike as truck blast hitting rider is then passed onto bike's handlebars. Sort of like wiggling the steering wheel when car's allready feeling squirrely.

A loose grip will avoid that added source of wiggle and go along way to disarming your anxiety.

Wooster

steve.foote

The wind turbulence is enough to cause a deathgrip on the handlebars...

Quinn, this is part of the problem. Bud is right about keeping a light touch on the bars, expecially in this situation. The buffeting wind is most likely catching your shoulders and jerking your arms back and forth, causing the bike to flutter around. With a lighter touch and relaxed arms, the bike (especially the RT) will cut right through the turbulance.

Leaning forward towards the windshield also helps reduce the effects on your shoulders and allows you to really relax your grip on the bars.

Also, make sure you pass trucks with as much clearance as possible. Use the opposite side of the lane and get it over with in a quick manner. I know someone who was next to a tractor-trailer when it blew a tire. The disintegrating tire knocked him off his bike. He said it wasn't much fun at 70mph.

Paul Mihalka

All good advice. When I travel East/West/East in the middle of the country, I use two-lanes that go in the same direction, but no traffic. Just as fast, most with 65mph limits. Missouri/Kansas/Iowa/Nebraska/the Dakotas, all have great East/West two lane roads.

Couchrocket

OK, so you're riding an 04 RT. That's what I ride and I can tell you that the RT is one of the most stable bikes when it comes to air disturbance from big trucks etc.

The advice you've received so far is GREAT. 1. Don't "linger" in the shadow of such big trucks if you can avoid it. 2. Keep a very light grip on the bars.... force yourself to relax. The RT is especially good (IMO) at taking a "set" in wind and just "staying there" in a comfortable way. So, light grip, accelerate to get around the offending wind-disturber.

Another thing I've noticed when riding in remote areas on highways is that the "effect" of disturbed air trails about 1/2 mile behind a big truck! W/ my Cee Bailey's windscreen I can achieve a completely quiet envelope of air at speed. But, I've noticed that trucks that I cannot even see up ahead have an effect on the air flow. Weird. But true.

ashleybiker

Turbulence.....I have some turbulence for you. I see you're in NC. Just a short distance southeast of Durham is prime hog and turkey production country. How about a livestock trailer full of 300lb finished hogs at 55+mph heading to the big house? Nothing like figuring aerosolized animal waste in your timing/avoidance equation. blush.gif

Seriously, more experience on the RT will help reduce your anxiety in interacting with trucks. Keep a large safety margin and always leave yourself an out. A Motorcycle Safety Foundation course can help you to improve your riding skills and confidence. thumbsup.gif

Stay well!

All good advice, as expected. Trucks are best avoided, but on major interstates (like I-40 across TN) they are ubiquitous.

It really does help to stay as relaxed as possible. The trick is to countersteer depending upon how you're getting blown or suctioned. Also be aware that the ambient wind will be blocked or altered by the truck, so be prepared to deal with its resumption as soon as you get on past.

You'll get the hang of it quickly with some practice.

Jay

Yes, there are techniques for this. First, large tractor trailers will always block your view of the road, so it's best to move around them in the far left lane quickly to avoid the side wind, riding in the blind spot, and any tire or road debris they may kick up and which is out of your sight. Stay to the far left in the passing lane to minimize the turbulence, remember your turn signals, and move promptly. thumbsup.gif

I deal with it everyday, I've had the bike (BMW R1200ST)do some interesting things. I was following one truck, while overtaking another and the combination of the 2 bow waves and the road surface set up a 3 foot weave. Loose hands, little weight on the pegs, no problem.

Little piece of advice, do not ever follow a big truck too close OR follow along side any tire. They kick big stuff up and the tires (recaps) let go.

I had one last month blow a tire West of Phoenix on I-10 while on the way home. I went hard left as the piece of tire went 3 feet to the right of my head. Had I been following to close it would have killed me. Funny thing is it happens with regularity.

Be cool out there, ride like they are out to get you...because they are.

Rog

I hope I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence here:

Although a motorcycle tends to balance itself in a more-or-less straight line, it's always a slight weave. So, it's not helpful to try to hold the bars absolutely square. And when the bike is being blown around by wind, it needs to weave a bit more to stabilize itself. Yes, it's going to wiggle around.

But you can control the general direction of the bike--say keep it pointed more toward the left side of the passing lane--by steering input on the grips. If the bike is heading too much toward the left, press both grips toward the right. Not an iron grip, you understand, just more pressure on the grips toward the direction you want the bike to go.

When countersteering, you may find it helpful to steer with one hand and relax the opposite elbow. That helps avoid unintentionally strong-arming one grip while trying to steer with the other.

When struck by a gust that pushes the bike sideways, immediately press on the grip to lean the bike back upwind. And if the gust suddenly ceases (as when you punch through the truck's "bow wave") you'll typically need to press on the other grip to keep the bike from dodging upwind. When fighting through gusts, swerve the bike around under you--don't try to lean your body with the bike.

The bottom line: It's steering that controls lean. Relax your death grip on the bars, but don't be bashful about immediate countersteering to control lean and direction.

pmdave

ElevenFifty

Same profile - returning rider after 30 years and I prefer the two lanes with no trucks ... problem is that all the nice rides are faster to get to if you spend a little time on the slab. Just do it - relax and let it roll ... You can't really avoid trucks, so USE them!!

My mantra is to stay in the big gaps in the traffic ... as much room in front of me as behind = safest place on the highway.

Speed is your friend. Adopt the high speed lane. Get past the trucks and use them as blockers ... you'll find that a short blast of speed buys you glorius minutes of clear sailing. If the tension gets to be too high and traffic is just a pain then TAKE THE EXIT RAMP! Theres always a long way round and it's usually a prettier ride.

Golden Rules -

- NEVER ride in someones 'blind spot'

- Don't tailgate

- Let impatient 'speed demons' get on down the road and out of your life

- Pass with authority

- Avoid the merge lane and the one to it's left

- Match the prevailing speed BUT:

- Use blasts of speed to clear truck 'knots' (once you are past them, they work FOR you keeping other traffic well back of you)

- Find the open space in the traffic pattern and stay there!

- Think ahead - you can usually predict what a cage driver will do next ... it's just what ou would do with four wheels and a shoulder strap.

You have more control if you are going faster than traffic ... no worries about what's behind (unless it has flashing lights and a siren) and if you pass with authority, your exposure to the unpredictable driver changing lanes is diminished.

You'll find that your average speed will go up and your tension level will go down ... best advice I ever got and gave ... 'never ride beyond your comfort zone'. Trust yourself.

That's excellent advice. Get by quickly. If you have ever seen a tire blow, you know you don't want to be in the immediate vicinity.

I had that happen last year on my way to work one morning. I was passing a truck on the highway when I heard this loud (bear with me here) whump whump whump sound. Next thing I knew, the tire right next to me blew out. It scared the hell out of me, it sounded like a shotgun went off right next to my head, and the concussion (or possibly just initial surprise) put my over into the gravel. I was still under control and rode away safely, but I don't ever want it to happen again.

Now I refuse to ride along side trucks if I can help it. When I go to pass, I make sure I can get completely by them......then do it as quickly as possible and settle back into traffic

On my RT in particular, I find buffeting on the lee side of trucks is reduced by lowering the windscreen fully. YMMV, depending on your height, I guess.

A frame mounted windshield up high creates a taller "sail" against which the wind can push, and a windshield is much higher and farther forward than the combined CoG. The more centralized the sail, the less the bike will be pushed around. That concept includes bulky objects strapped on the back of the saddle, especially tall loads carried behind the rear axle. Not only do such "frame mounted" loads give the wind something to push against, they can also contribute to weaves as the bike tries to correct it's balance as it passes through an unsettling gust.

The "sail" locations of the front end are important. More sail forward of the steering axis will cause the bike to steer upwind during a crosswind gust. More sail behind the steering axis will steer the bike downwind. (remember, the front wheel steers "backward". And since your arms are steering the bike, wind gusts can push on your arms and cause unintended steering input. For instance a strong gust pushing your arms right can cause the bike to roll right--downwind. Hence the advice to loosen up your death grip on the bars and allow your elbows to flap around a bit.

pmdave

ShovelStrokeEd

Wake turbulence from a big rig can be pretty unsettling. I actually use it when riding down the freeway. Run up on the rig till the bike starts to wiggle a little and then change lanes.

The wiggle is never really a big deal. It is just that, a wiggle. You will never lose control or get blown over from lane to lane or any such nonsense, the bike just won't feel stable and planted.

All the advise about remaining loose applies to this situation. Actually, the looser you are, the better. I have completely let go of the bars in the worst turbulence zones and actually have had the bike get more stable, not less.

If you are uncomfortable, hunker down a bit, leave things loose and just grab a big old handful of throttle and ride around the beast. For you poor guys with lesser power than I ride with, drop a gear and do the same thing.

I really don't worry overmuch about tires blowing and the like, odds are, it won't happen to you. My primary motive for a fast pass is usually to get back into the lane in which the majority of traffic is going in the same direction I am. I don't like the left lane and ride in the right most of the time on multi-lane roads. Here in Florida, it is often the least populated lane and hence the fastest. frown.gif

Riding to CA as often as I do from here you have to go on I-10 and there it is about 300 miles of passing trucks almost non stop. The thing that you have to do is get past them as fast as you feel comfortable doing. I really don't speed (unless I am with the Hoons) all that much, but when passing a truck it is downshift and go baby as soon as I am clear. Also remember that those trucks have blind spots in front of them too so make sure you get ahead of them once you are past so they know you are there.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Here in Florida, it is often the least populated lane and hence the fastest. frown.gif

Holy Cow! At first I thought you were blowing smoke, but then you mentioned Florida and I suddenly understood. There must be something in the water that makes traffic in Florida so nutzo. Or maybe it's "social turbulence."

pmdave

ShovelStrokeEd

I have lived down here for more than 20 years now and can comment on a few of the behaviors I have observed.

Left laners seem to be of two types, both with the same problem. There are the I'm gonna go faster than anyone else and hence I belong here and you don't types. Down here they tend to drive large pickups or SUV's or higher end sedans, think Mercedes or BMW. The Lexus types stick to the center lane. The other types are really timid drivers and just feel more comfortable in the left lane cause they only have to deal with traffic on one side, the divider gives them something to navigate by. That traffic is constantly passing them on the right never seems to dawn on them as they continue down the road, constantly paying attention, when they do so to anything outside at all, to their hood ornament. This group, incidentally, does not seem to be confined to geezers, although they are probalby in the majority. 30 something females also provide a large portion.

There is no such thing as lane discipline down here, the rules of the road are written in sand. Whichever lane is moving fastest, no matter how small the increment, is the one that is preferred. I giggle into my face shield almost daily as I watch folks dive for the left side of the road, abandoning the "slow" lane to me so I can pass them within the next half mile as all the other sheeple who did the same thing now have to brake for each other.

There are some truly scary aspects as well. Lines of 20 or more cars, all doing 70+ in the left lane, no more than 2 car lengths between them, while the right lane remains pristine and empty. The usual complement of cell phone yakkers, make-up appliers, newspaper readers and AADD types, of course. Now add a just a sprinkling of lost tourists or snowbirds, not to mention Louise, who never had a driver's license cause Harold always drove before he passed on, and is driving for the first time in maybe 60 years of adult life, and you have my daily commute. Thank doG it is only 4.4 miles. blush.gif

Turbulence.....I have some turbulence for you. I see you're in NC. Just a short distance southeast of Durham is prime hog and turkey production country. How about a livestock trailer full of 300lb finished hogs at 55+mph heading to the big house? Nothing like figuring aerosolized animal waste in your timing/avoidance equation. blush.gif

Now there is a motorcycling hazard I hadn't even thought of! EWWWWWWWW! Note to self, keep mouth tightly closed, execute pass in quick time!

I have only been on the interstate about 30 times maximum. It gets me nervous, especially I-75 here in SW Florida. Lots of big trucks and Nascar drafters. I like the tips about loosening up on the bars. I have to work on that, as it is instinctive for me to tighten up on the bars when a big semi blows by at 80 mph.

ShovelStrokeEd

Why is he passing you at 80 mph? You are on I-75 ferchrisake, if you are running less than 80 your gonna get kilt! dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

been back riding for 4 years now. at first had many of the same issues on the interstates. no more. just practice, ride, deal with it and pretty soon it's a non issue. most of my weekend rides start or end on 95. i love to just hammer to an exit the enjoy the backroads home or vice versa.

turbulance scared the crap out of me early on, but over time i just deal with. interestingly, it's very diff between my RT and the wee-strom. RT makes a wake while the strom is just kinda in it. get past the rigs fast, don't dawdle. nothing good can happen from being next to or right behind anything for too long. have fun and practice. it's like sushi..after a while you CRAVE it. lmao.giflurker.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a 2000 R1100RT, my first BMW. Lovely ride so far. But yesterday I had this experience on I-35 that was a bit unsettling and one I hadn't felt on a bike before.

The road was a tad moist from fog. There was a lot of traffic. I was going maybe 80MPH. Then it hit. It felt like the tires were slipping out from underneath me. I'm used to turbulence blowing my bike around, but usually it feels like the bike is being blown from some place on the frame. This really felt like the wheels were sliding around.

It happened over a stretch of a couple of miles, and we've had heavy rains recently, so I don't think it was anything on the surface of the road.

I had the windshield up and all the luggage on the bike. Is it possible this was just turbulence?

• 2 weeks later...

If the road were loaded with water (a lot more than "a tad moist") you might have been experiencing some hydroplaning. Or, an oily spot on the road could cause a bit of slippage, especially when wet. But I wouldn't expect it to persist for any distance.

This does seem more like a wind issue, and whatever instability it created might be perceived as slippage. Riding on the Oregon Coast, or the Columbia River Gorge, can subject the rider to some pretty stiff wind. It can be disconcerting, especially if you're not used to it. One rider told me he was picked up and moved sideways across a full lane of traffic.

However, as an earlier poster pointed out, such motion is more likely the result of steering input from the rider. If his upper body is pushed around by the wind, and he has a firm grip on the bars, he will steer the bike off course, and likely think the wind moved him through sheer force of air pressure.

The fact is, as was also said earlier, most of the BMW family is pretty stable, and if the rider stays loose and relaxed, the buffeting may be unpleasant, but won't dump you.

I'm a returning rider as well, just got a 2004 1150RT. So far I've managed to handle tough winds and truck wash OK. Got a lot of advice from this website.

Wait, watch, plan and make your move at the best time. Wait; make sure you have plenty of room to pass and your lanes ahead are clear. Watch; take a look around at the traffic, turns in the road, etc. Plan ahead; make sure you're not going to end up in a tight spot before you finish your passing manuver. Make your move & pass quickley and finish in a safe spot in the traffic.

Also keep a good grip but be loose. You're going to be buffeted by the winds but don't try to over control the bike.

I find that this works well on winds on high bridges also.

Wait, watch, plan and make your move at the best time. Wait; make sure you have plenty of room to pass and your lanes ahead are clear. Watch; take a look around at the traffic, turns in the road, etc. Plan ahead; make sure you're not going to end up in a tight spot before you finish your passing maneuver. Make your move & pass quickly and finish in a safe spot in the traffic.

Also keep a good grip but be loose. You're going to be buffeted by the winds but don't try to over control the bike.

I find that this works well on winds on high bridges also.

All good points. I like to say, "Be deliberate" when dealing with trucks and similar situations. Don't dawdle around them. Plan, then execute to spend the shortest amount of time you can in the 'risk zone'.
There is no such thing as lane discipline down here, the rules of the road are written in sand. Whichever lane is moving fastest, no matter how small the increment, is the one that is preferred. I giggle into my face shield almost daily as I watch folks dive for the left side of the road, abandoning the "slow" lane to me so I can pass them within the next half mile as all the other sheeple who did the same thing now have to brake for each other.

There are some truly scary aspects as well. Lines of 20 or more cars, all doing 70+ in the left lane, no more than 2 car lengths between them, while the right lane remains pristine and empty. The usual complement of cell phone yakkers, make-up appliers, newspaper readers and AADD types, of course. Now add a just a sprinkling of lost tourists or snowbirds, not to mention Louise, who never had a driver's license cause Harold always drove before he passed on, and is driving for the first time in maybe 60 years of adult life, and you have my daily commute. Thank doG it is only 4.4 miles. blush.gif

Perfect description grin.gif of my commute, except I do 46 miles each way. I don't do it on my bike very often, but when I do it's the cars that are more concerning than the semis. For whatever reason, I don't and never really minded interstate travel on a bike unless it's bumper to bumper crawling. This is an interesting thread to me because I never gave much to trucks other than to get around and away from them--which I understand is not always possible. The turbulence has been less of a concern than being seen and being able to S.E.E. (in MSF parlance).

This must be "returning rider "thread, I too got back in last year and after owning mostly japanese bikes in the past the first time I went to pass a truck I grabbed the bars and hung on but to my amazement the RT tracked perfectly through the air turbulence and I did'nt give it a second thought after that, Now about the tire issue I see those recaps laying all over the shoulder, especially in hot weather, they make me nervous so I grab a handful and get by ASAP. smirk.gif

Archived