IGNORED

Removing and replacing fuel tank on R1150RT

UberXY

I am about to install some Rhinewest chips on my '05 R1150RT. No problems for me with the tupperware - I've had it off about 10 times, each time I vow will be the last. cool.gif Also no problem with swapping out the stock exhaust system with the Remus - piece of cake.

But I am concerned about leaking fuel in the garage with the fuel tank, given there is no good old mechanical petcock. Anyone care to give me some advice on making this a leak free event?

Thanks a bunch,

Be sure the tank is about as empty as possible, mainly to facilitate lifting the tank off. You will always have a few teaspoons to 1/2 oz of fuel dribble when you disconnect the quick disconnects. I don't know how to avoid it. Just be ready with a rag, put out your cigarette, and turn off the space heater. No big deal. The quick disconnects cuts off the fuel quite well except for the small amount in the connectors. Also, the connectors are reversed on the to and from lines to the tank, so you can't mix them up. However, you can mix up the vent hoses, so mark them. Be sure to unclip the connector under the right side of the tank for the fuel gauge sender and fuel pump power. I'd put some dielectric grease on the connector when you reinstall the tank. Good luck.

Al:

Thanks. I raced cars for 20 years, and like most drivers, I developed a morbid, neurotic fear of gasoline fed fires. In every big wreck I was in, thought number one was getting out of the car before a fire started. Thought number two was checking out how injured I was once I was a safe distance from the fire - it's amazing what a pain killer adrenaline is. Unfortunately this fear has now carried over to garage work. frown.gif

Bill_Walker
...However, you can mix up the vent hoses, so mark them. ...

Even simpler: disconnect them like the fuel lines, leaving the connector on the forward end of one line and the rear end of the other line. Then there's no chance of mixing them up when reconnecting.

One other tip. The hold-down bolt actually screws into a loose nut on the backside. It's not captive, so be prepared to catch it.

Whenever you play with the disconnects you should be ready to crimp the upstream supply, the stock disconnects have a habit of breaking when played with. DAMHIK, OK, do. In Jamie's garage I spilled a goodly amount of gas while my addled brain tried to figure out what was happening. I currently don't have any quick disconnects but will install the McMaster Carr all metal ones next time I need to remove the tank.

ShovelStrokeEd

Use an Ozark credit card (siphon hose) to remove all but the last couple of ounces of fuel from the tank prior to removal. Tank is not symmetric with the majority of the fuel on the right side of the bike. Once below the level of the fuel pump screen there is little danger of spilling more than an ounce or two of gas. Do be sure to drain into an approved container that can be sealed afterwards and provides easy means of returning the fuel to the tank once that attack on the ECU is accomplished.

BTW, you are also gonna need a security type torx bit, T30 as I recall. I don't bother to use them as a long nosed vice grip will grab the bolts enough to loosen but you might want to be prepared. Also, use good ESD practice when handling the chips or circuit board for that matter. Wouldn't do to zap your new chip.

Lineareagle
Be sure the tank is about as empty as possible, mainly to facilitate lifting the tank off. You will always have a few teaspoons to 1/2 oz of fuel dribble when you disconnect the quick disconnects. I don't know how to avoid it. Just be ready with a rag, put out your cigarette, and turn off the space heater.

Actually most gasoline fires / explosions are caused by static electricity. When playing with gas tanks there is a lot of vapour around so always touch some grounded metal part before messing with vapour containing items, tanks, cans, rags etc.

Don't worry, be happy, be safe.

I am a bad boy, I just set my nearly full tank on a lawn chair set next to bike & leave everything connected. Last week when I changed the brake fluid one of the quick disconnects broke due to the stress. Real thin plastic in them I reccomend removing them or replacing with better ones. The only challenge when replacing the chip for me was getting the sealed box open it was seriously glued together.

I used Lazer chip & exhaust great improvement on my 2003

Archived