IGNORED

R1200RT Heated Front Seat Problem

MrR1200RT

I had my 2006 R1200RT front seat first redone by Rick Meyer and later by Russell Day Long Seat. In regards to heating the seat worked fine in both cases for 11+ months. I have been using the heated seat option every day since Jan06 when I picked up the bike did not use it during the summer and started again in Oct06 till now. A week ago I noticed that the heating function stopped working. The bike computer shows the seat is on low or high but the seat is not heating. The rear seat also redone my Rick Meyer still works. I disconnected both seats and placed a volt meter across the rear plug and got a solid 12+ volts. I started the bike then I placed my volt meter across the front seat connection and found rapid regular voltage spikes from .5v to 12+ volts. Anyone have any idea's what's going on? also can anyone please let me know what the resistance value should be on the front seat? If I knew another R1200RT rider I would take the stock heated seat and plug it into my wire to see if that works or place my seat on the other bike and see if it heats.

I have a Corbin heated saddle on my 06 RT and I have it wired directly to the CANBUS so that I can make use of the OEM switch on the handlegrip and most importantly, not have to worry about forgetting to flip the switch on the saddle OFF and draining my battery.

Since wiring it this way (probably 6 months ago) the only differences that I have noticed, oppose to when I had it wired directly to the battery, is that it takes a little longer to heat up, and, the RED light built into the rocker switch on the side of the Corbin flashes on & off rapidly as you've described.

The impression I get is that the way the CANBUS heats the saddle is by pulses of DC energy.

Anyway, for my situation, it doesn't appear to have adversely effected anything, so I'm happy with it.

I had my 2006 R1200RT front seat first redone by Rick Meyer and later by Russell Day Long Seat. In regards to heating the seat worked fine in both cases for 11+ months. I have been using the heated seat option every day since Jan06 when I picked up the bike did not use it during the summer and started again in Oct06 till now. A week ago I noticed that the heating function stopped working. The bike computer shows the seat is on low or high but the seat is not heating. The rear seat also redone my Rick Meyer still works. I disconnected both seats and placed a volt meter across the rear plug and got a solid 12+ volts. I started the bike then I placed my volt meter across the front seat connection and found rapid regular voltage spikes from .5v to 12+ volts. Anyone have any idea's what's going on? also can anyone please let me know what the resistance value should be on the front seat? If I knew another R1200RT rider I would take the stock heated seat and plug it into my wire to see if that works or place my seat on the other bike and see if it heats.

Plug the rear seat into the front seat plug and if it doesn't heat, you know the problem is with the bike, not the front seat heater.

Do a continuity test on the seat and you'll probably find you broke or shorted a wire in the seat. It's my understanding that if the icon on the screen comes on the seat is getting power (pulses are correct) from the bike.

Where do you live (your profile is blank)? I've got the stock heated seat and a Sargent you can try.

I live in Napa Ca. Yesterday I went to my dealer and tried connecting a new stock heated front seat and found that the seat did not get warm. This tells me that the wire coming from the bike is not working properly. After I left, I was thinking that I should have tried my seat on the other bike if it heated this would have fully confirmed that my seat is working. I could have two problems here, bike wiring and problem seat.

if someone can take your stock fron seat and perform a continuity test that would be great. when I test my seat I get no continuity between the two pins which may be ok. I know that when I check the rear seat I get continuity between pin 1 an 2 but between pin 1 and 3 or 1 and 4 no continuity. I've also tried other combonations of pins and found continuity only between pin 1 and 2. dopeslap.gif

If you were already at the dealer why didn't you ask the

service guy to look at it. Especially if the stock seat

did not work. confused.gif

It was sunday, no service on Sunday. if anyone has a stock front seat and a multimeter could you please measure the continuity and resistance. Let me know if the seat passed the continuity test and what resistance value did you find. Thanks

my dealer confirmed that I have an open in my seat. plus computer genrated a fault code. day long seat said I can send the seat back to them and they will find the problem and fix it. great warranty and service. I will let you know when I get it back. grin.gif

Archived