IGNORED

Trans drain bolt

alremc

anyone have any ideas on how to get a trans drain bolt that has a busted allen head wrench in the middle? It is in that lil tunnel and I can't get anything around the bolt. I tried shattering the allen wrench as it was a socket type but no avail. I was going to try one of those craftman bolt out sockets but looking for ideas please, appreciate it. confused.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

First off, make sure you have a new cap on hand.

Then, you get to remove the footpeg plate and the exhaust system to gain access, then, if you are lucky, you can get a hammer and chisel in there and work around the periphery of the plug. Sharp chisel first to make a nick in the plug and then a dull one to apply force in the unwind direction. A little care and it should break loose. You can use a Dremel or a file to clean up the trans case area.

This won't help you but, I have started to design a set of drain plugs for the bikes that have embedded Kalrez O-rings instead of crush washers. Should provide a better seal with much less torque needed for both sealing and break-away. Also, external hex rather than internal one.

BMW replaced the allen withn a hex some years back. If you buy a tranny drain replacement plug for a 1100 now they are hexhead.

Part # 06 23 10 7 651 450

The exact same thing happened to me. My mechanic was unable to get it out so he got the guy who does engineering work for him to get it out. In the end he got it out when no one was looking so I don't know how he did it - but it was done quickly.

I replace the allen head with a hex head to avoid the problem happening again.

John Dickens

I have seen a damaged socket screw removed by hammering in a suitable sized Torx type 6 or 12 point star wrench. I suspect the hammering helps to shock the bolt loose too.

anyone have any ideas on how to get a trans drain bolt that has a busted allen head wrench in the middle? It is in that lil tunnel and I can't get anything around the bolt. I tried shattering the allen wrench as it was a socket type but no avail. I was going to try one of those craftman bolt out sockets but looking for ideas please, appreciate it. confused.gif

Frank, I presume that broken off allen wrench is not accessible using a suitable sized socket over the broken end? If the allen is sticking out at all try rapping it a few good blows with a brass drift & hammer then using a socket on it..

If that allen is broken off flush or broken in such a way that precludes using a socket on it then it gets a little more difficult..

You always have the way that ShovelStrokeEd talked about..

If you want to try a little different approach you can try finding (or machining) a piece of pipe or tube that will be a press fit over the OD of the drain plug (you need about .004”-.006” press fit).. Then use a little Lock-Tite like 262 or similar & place a light film of Lock-Tite on the inside end of that tube then drive it tightly over that drain plug.. Allow the Lock-Tite to cure for a few hours, then use a pipe wrench or Channel Loc pliers on that tube to unscrew the drain plug & tube together.. (this method has worked good for me in other similar situations)

Another option is to drill 2 holes in the drain plug about half way through the plug’s head, then take a steel rod about drain plug diameter & drill 2 matching holes in that rod, then press pins into the holes, then use that rod to turn the plug out like a pin spanner.. You will need a long drill bit for this approach.. Drill the holes in the drain plug head slightly larger than the pins used in the rod..

Unless you just happen to have a correct sized pipe handy or have a lathe in your shop, using ShovelStrokeEd’s procedure will probably be the quickest..

Twisty

Jerry Johnston

If all the other suggestions fail, you might take a dremel and grind a slot across the plug as deep as you can get it. The after riding until it's a hot as you can get it try heavy (thick) tipped screw driver that you can rap on as you turn it.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I don't have much to offer beyond what's already been posted. But I'm curious, how did it get so tight/frozen in the first place than an allen wrench broke off in the plug?

Lineareagle

HiJack.

This brings up a good point about the quality of tools you use. There are some tools it just isn't worth going cheap on. Allen keys are high on my list. Quality will:

1. Result in more consistent results and

2. Won't tear up your fasteners.

Quality by the way isn't what the warranty says but when you are home taking apart your bike, how satisfying is it to get a job half done and then break a tool or round out a fastener, Oh well it is warrantied! Big deal.

Un-HiJack.

wink.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

A pretty big wrench at that. The one in my 1100S was 14mm as I recall and the one in my GS 12mm. I have turned over work benches and applied in excess of 125 lbf/ft of torque on a 14mm hex wrench.

BMW replaced the allen withn a hex some years back. If you buy a tranny drain replacement plug for a 1100 now they are hexhead.

Part # 06 23 10 7 651 450

O.K.

I gotta ask.

What's the difference between a hex head bolt and an Allen head bolt, other than I get a Royalty fee for the latter?

I thought they both were removed by the same tool, but what the heck do I know anyway?

Don't answer that!

grin.gif

I broke a allen in there to though I did not do any cutting or trying to get it out. IMHO if it did not come out with a fitted tool its not going to come out easy with any other method. I just put down some old carpet in the garage, opened the filler cap, took off the mirror and laid the thing WAY over. Messy but worked. I put in Amsoil which they claim is for life and just forgot about it.

I don't have much to offer beyond what's already been posted. But I'm curious, how did it get so tight/frozen in the first place than an allen wrench broke off in the plug?

As I just got the bike, I suspect the last owner didn't do any trans oil maint, just a guess though but sounds about right.

Wow, I thought I would left out there but this forum is FAN-TASTIC!! Alot of great ideas that I will line up and hope one works. I ordered a new plug so once I get it, I will start with a bolt removal socket I found at Sears and hope for the best. Again thanks for all the input and making a guy feel really welcome to the BMW World! thumbsup.gif

Most anyone that has handled wrenches for a long time knows a bolt that is handled/removed by an "Allen style" 6 sided flat insert wrench as an "allenhead" bolt. The "Allen" style wrench fits within the head of the bolt, not around the head. In more recent times they seem to refer to the Allen as a "hex key". If the bolt has 6 flat sides about the outside of the head it has been referred as a hexhead bolt. Torx is different yet as the sides between points are not flat, often referred to as a "star" pattern. Torx come in "external" form as well as internal. I've never confused a torx for a hex. Some techs have, I've seen the carnage.

ShovelStrokeEd

The difference between them is simple to distinguish if you use proper terminology when describing the fasteners. Both are actually "hex" meaning 6 sided. So called "Allen" bolts are more properly termed as "socket head cap screws". Regular bolts are "hex head cap screws". Allen is a brand name, not a fastener type. Sneaked into common usage in the same way that Zerox became a generic term for a photocopy. Same usage applies to Torx, although I have heard internal and external used to describe them.

Joe Frickin' Friday
So called "Allen" bolts are more properly termed as "socket head cap screws". Regular bolts are "hex head cap screws".

Bingo. thumbsup.gif

And the fasteners used on the tupperware are called "button head socket cap screws," for obvious reasons. crazy.gif

Most anyone that has handled wrenches for a long time knows

No need to be arrogant about this, O.K.?

a bolt that is handled/removed by an "Allen style" 6 sided flat insert wrench as an "allenhead" bolt. The "Allen" style wrench fits within the head of the bolt, not around the head. In more recent times they seem to refer to the Allen as a "hex key". If the bolt has 6 flat sides about the outside of the head it has been referred as a hexhead bolt.

This explaination distinguishes an internal hex from an external hex, which to me is a conventional bolt head and doesn't need a descriptor. In the original context, was the tranny drain bolt changed from an internal hex to a conventional bolt head? If so, that would solve the confusion I am having about the terminology.

I've never confused a torx for a hex.

That must be because you've

handled wrenches for a long time
. Yeah, yeah.
In the original context, was the tranny drain bolt changed from an internal hex to a conventional bolt head?

Yes

Wooster, handler of old wenches

Sorry for the late response, I am waiting until the new bolt gets here but it so far has taken almost a week from what I thought was a local company, Bikebandit. So my patients are wearing though coz I want to tackle the bolt and get the fluid changed. tongue.gif

...I am waiting until the new bolt gets here but it so far has taken almost a week from what I thought was a local company, Bikebandit.

What probably happened is that instead of carrying stock, they had to order it. If the price break wasn't all that much, you probly should've just gone to the local dealer. grin.gif

...I am waiting until the new bolt gets here but it so far has taken almost a week from what I thought was a local company, Bikebandit.

What probably happened is that instead of carrying stock, they had to order it. If the price break wasn't all that much, you probly should've just gone to the local dealer. grin.gif

As this is my first order for the BMW, it is a lessoned learn. dopeslap.gif

UPDATE...finally got the new plug and its a socket head vice the allen socket so that is a relief. I bought a bolt removel socket from Sears that bites onto the head and I tried using a regular air ratchet but the plug would not budge. So desparate measures for desparate times, headed to Home Depot for an air impact ratchet. I was running that sucker for a bit and was getting worried but it finally broke loose. Initally I thought that either the plug broke loose or the plug busted in half. Thankfully it was the first. Trans fluid changed and ready to tackle other issues. Not bad, the replacement plug was 12 bucks, the tools to get it out was 90, what a deal huh? Thanks to all for all the encouragement and help. clap.gif

Archived