IGNORED

1200RT Performance Mods

AJBard

Hi All,

I bought my '05 RT new and have just under 12K miles on it. I'm getting the itch to add a bike to the garage, but hope that adding some farkles to the RT will scratch the itch and save me a ton of cash. I'm thinking about doodads that will increase my bike's performance.

What are the best chip/exhaust mods out there for RTs? How much additional HP do they really provide? Are the aftermarket exhaust systems significantly lighter than stock? How much can I expect to spend?

Thanks for your help.

A.J.

John Bentall

What you need to do is to find out preceisely how many extra horsepower you need to scratch the itch successfully.

I had a test ride on the latest model K1200GT. It was beautifully powerful and scratched the itch to have a smoother, less-vibratory engine and much more performance.

If the GT is too much, then you'll know you need something in between.

P.S. still have my '05 RT despite being able to afford the GT.

Very apt comments, John. I had the use of a loaner '06GT while my '06RT was in for the 12,000 mile service. Great power and smoothness - but it doesn't have quite the comfort and, especially, the character of the boxer for me to make the change.

What you need to do is to find out preceisely how many extra horsepower you need to scratch the itch successfully.

I had a test ride on the latest model K1200GT. It was beautifully powerful and scratched the itch to have a smoother, less-vibratory engine and much more performance.

If the GT is too much, then you'll know you need something in between.

P.S. still have my '05 RT despite being able to afford the GT.

Let me add, I had a '05 RT and I never "bonded" with the red color so I traded it for a '07 GT. The GT is a great bike and I set it up for me. Over the winter, I just could not get used to the buzziness of the 4 cyn. The wife loves it sooooo, she is getting the GT, I'm saleing or trading the RS for a '07 RT.

The power is wonderful on the GT but I never lacked for it on the RT. My suggestion for additional power for the RT, either get a bike that has the power you think you need or leave the bags off, loose weight and it's free horsepower.

Respectfully submitted,

The closer my '05 R12RT got to 20,000 miles the smoother and quicker it got. Then, I put a Remus full system on it and the thing took off. I no longer ride my '02 K12RS.

I traded my 1st BMW, an 05 R12RT, in on an 06 GT. 800 miles later, it was gone for an 06 GS.

I just did not get along with the GT's vibes and crap transmission. For me there was zero comfort and a lot of buffeting too.

A couple of trades later and I'm back on a RT, 07 vintage and

I have a full Remus exhaust.

The best way to get more power out of the 1200 engine is to never let it drop below 5800 RPM and be sure and open the throttle all of the way.

I did one sprint to 145 mph on that GT. Now what? When could I ever use that kind of speed on the road?

Please try before you buy, the GT is a great bike but it's not for everyone.

Enjoy

For a better performing RT, rather than engine mods it may be better to replace the stock shocks and enroll in CLASS or similar performance riding school.

Archived