IGNORED

R1200RT to R1150R - would I be disappointed?

cogger

I recently sold a R1200RT. It just wasn't the bike for me - just too massive and complex - but it handled great and I really liked that motor. It undoubtedly is one of the best bikes for touring, but it just didn't push my buttons. I want a smaller/lighter bike that I can do a little of everything on including some touring. Anyway, this was my first BMW and I want to stay with BMW, so one option is to go backward to a R1150R. I know many of you probably owned the R1150R before purchasing a R1200RT. Do you think I would be disappointed going to a R1150R? Thanks.

FWIW, other options are an '07 R1200ST (except for riding position this really pushes my buttons), a R1200R, and a F800ST (a little gun-shy on this one due to the new bike gremlins being reported on F800riders.org, but I sure like it).

ShovelStrokeEd

I, for one, don't understand the concern over riding position of the ST. It really is quite conservative as sporty bikes go. Then again, I find my Honda Blackbird to have one of the most comfortable riding positions I ever experienced once I got the rearsets positioned to my liking, about 1" rearward and 1/2" higher than stock. Bars are up 10mm and rotated forward about 5 degrees from stock. Standard windscreen and all day (12-14 hours) comfortable with a stock seat no less. I can say the same thing about my K1200RS. Just flat great for all day in the saddle.

There is a learning period involved in all this and, in my case, it spans a 45 year period but, all in all, I prefer bikes with low bars, highish rearset pegs and a flat seat that is not too wide in the front.

The 1150R is a great motorcycle. For me, a little flatter bar, say from a R100RS, and a fly screen and you would have the ultimate roadster with easy 500-600 mile days as a bonus. Weather protection is just a state of mind anyway. Once the rain starts and you stop, your gonna get just as wet on a Goldwing as you do on a CBR600 so why not enjoy the sportier riding position and lighter bike. Your gear is there to take care of the rest.

I had an 1150R before my 1200Rt. I loved the bike as it is sturdy and powerful (not as 1200) and very versatile. I had a fairly large screen on it and Jesse Bags so I was protected and could tour with it.

Try one out and see. Why not look at the 1200R if you would consider the 1200ST. I share yr view on riding position, I could not even think of ST with my back.

h

I'm not sure why you would let the fear of the riding position of the 1200ST stop you. There is more than one product available to raise the bars if necessary.

Chuck

And I know about all of them, Verholen, ML, Wunderlich, and AC Schnitzer, and I'm reluctant to take the chance with an ST in case these can't get me in fairly upright position. Problem is, I get migraines easily when leaned over and looking up. To look up you use the muscles in the back of your neck and head, and that almost always triggers a migraine. I had to give up bicycle riding for this reason (even a local high-end bicycle dealer who charges $250 for a 3-hour fit said I'm the first person they haven't been able to fit - no charge). I've actually made wooden spacers to place on the ST handlebars that simulate the riding position of the Verholens, and I would prefer the position to be even more upright. I hate to get an ST and then discover that it won't work (but I haven't completely ruled it out yet).

St0nkingByte

How about a tricked out R1200R?

Ausstattung3.jpg

I love my RT but I will admit it took about 4,000 miles on it before I became truly adept at pushing it around. I've ridden a R1150R and it was a heck of a lot of fun, I've sat on the R1200R and it's a darn nice bike too. If I had infinite funds I might have a R1200R just to play hoodlum on. grin.gif

Jim VonBaden
Chuck

And I know about all of them, Verholen, ML, Wunderlich, and AC Schnitzer, and I'm reluctant to take the chance with an ST in case these can't get me in fairly upright position. Problem is, I get migraines easily when leaned over and looking up. To look up you use the muscles in the back of your neck and head, and that almost always triggers a migraine. I had to give up bicycle riding for this reason (even a local high-end bicycle dealer who charges $250 for a 3-hour fit said I'm the first person they haven't been able to fit - no charge). I've actually made wooden spacers to place on the ST handlebars that simulate the riding position of the Verholens, and I would prefer the position to be even more upright. I hate to get an ST and then discover that it won't work (but I haven't completely ruled it out yet).

There is a kit available to allow tubular bars on the ST.

It would allow any riding position you want, even ape hangers! grin.gif

But seriously, were you to alter the position to verticle, the aerodynamics would be all screwey, and the peg position would be awkward.

I would wait for the R1200R Sport! Great riding position, with better protection.

R1200RS.jpg

Jim cool.gif

Do you think I would be disappointed going to a R1150R?
Personal opinion, yes. The hexhead series motor and chassis is just so much more advanced, going back to an oilhead would be a let down IMHO.

You didn't get into a lot of specifics about what you didn't like about the R1200RT, but if you like the naked bike concept better the new R1200R or as mentioned, the upcoming R1200R sport might be a good choice.

Cogger,

Wow, that headache problem stinks. I used to have a problem with that also. I think it was a combination of stress and dirt bike riding/racing playing havoc with my neck and shoulders. I have yet to ride my ST due to this wonderful weather and hope that the riding position will not bother me. I used to feel more comfortable leaning slightly forward as opposed to sitting upright. Good luck with your decision.

ProductUser

My thoughts:

I currently have an '04 R1150R with the middle screen (sport -- I bevlieve) and a Sargent seat. I'm 6'0 and weigh in at 210lbs.

I have no problems riding consecutive 400-500 mile days (cruising 85-90 indicated mph); I covered over 1500 miles in two days without any physical problems. As stated above, gear and riding position are key.

After 50k miles on the 1150R, I can say that it's a very capable touring bike.

ProductUser

Do you think I would be disappointed going to a R1150R?
Personal opinion, yes. The hexhead series motor and chassis is just so much more advanced, going back to an oilhead would be a let down IMHO.

You didn't get into a lot of specifics about what you didn't like about the R1200RT, but if you like the naked bike concept better the new R1200R or as mentioned, the upcoming R1200R sport might be a good choice.

Agree with Ken.

Dif beast 1200/1150.

Why not a GS?

Upright seating, plenty of aftermarket in place already.

Benefits of the 1200, easy to suit ergos.

Stick w/one of the 1200's.

Best wishes.

Archived